• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • perryao
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

They didn't like Norv either. Especially on the D side. I saw an article where the DBs were yelling at Norv. Norv wasn't a well
    liked guy in Oakland either. Both the players and fans were very critical of him, to say the least. From all accounts he was
    actually a very nice guy. Just not built to be a leader.

Don't know about Marty in Washington, but he was well liked both in KC and SD. Haven't dove into Cleveland.
    I knew a guy who worked the first down markers at JM. Their dressing room was an open doorway between the Chargers dressing room and theirs. He used to watch Marty's pre-game speeches. He said after awhile the players would kind of snicker over his over the top emotions. haha. They did like him though. I HATED the Marty hire. I was wrong. Dude did an amazing job here. Guy just couldn't catch a break in the playoffs.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Tranquill is a FA. The other two have hardly stood out. For a D that is supposed to be running a 3/4 system, we are weak at LB.
      3-4 implies 3DL-2ILB-2OLB- 4 DB. We don't do that often.
      The need for ILB remains if we do not re-sign our FA(s), someone else's FA(s) or draft ILB. It's a lock that one or more will be done.

Comment

• Chargers8491
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by perryao View Post

I knew a guy who worked the first down markers at JM. Their dressing room was an open doorway between the Chargers dressing room and theirs. He used to watch Marty's pre-game speeches. He said after awhile the players would kind of snicker over his over the top emotions. haha. They did like him though. I HATED the Marty hire. I was wrong. Dude did an amazing job here. Guy just couldn't catch a break in the playoffs.
        Yeah, not much you can do when Mcree fumbles the game winning interception while trying to run it back instead of just going to the ground.
        1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
        2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
        2b- #37 Jenkins DT
        3a- #66 Puni OT
        3b- #69 Sainristill CB
        4a- #105 Rice WR
        4b- #110 Lloyd RB
        5- #140 Green CB
        6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Still don’t think we have the premium talent we need to optimize Staley’s D schemes, and he doesn’t seem to be able to adjust all that well to that. Maybe no one could.
          Consistently. The problem was consistency.
          Staley's D dominated a very good Miami, not so good Ten, Ind, LAR and Jax until our top CB went out with injury.
          Going forward we need Edge depth, DL depth, ILB, CB. The options are our FAs, outside FAs, draft. CB may be key (witness Jax).
          There are interesting choices to be made.
          As always, no guarantees. BUT... Good D isn't impossible.
          A quality scoring offense will put more pressure on opponents to throw to keep up. Moore should help. We'll see.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Consistently. The problem was consistency.
            Staley's D dominated a very good Miami, not so good Ten, Ind, LAR and Jax until our top CB went out with injury.
            Going forward we need Edge depth, DL depth, ILB, CB. The options are our FAs, outside FAs, draft. CB may be key (witness Jax).
            There are interesting choices to be made.
            As always, no guarantees. BUT... Good D isn't impossible.
            A quality scoring offense will put more pressure on opponents to throw to keep up. Moore should help. We'll see.
            Not just consistency. The adjustments made after Vato went down allowed Jags to score almost at will.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Not just consistency. The adjustments made after Vato went down allowed Jags to score almost at will.
              True. We were out of starting quality CBs. Ja can run but he couldn't hide, or cover.
              Bosa lead a feud with the officials which the pass rush lost.
              Lombardi forgot that burning time would have won.
              Clusterf**k.
              We were consistently dominant on D weeks 14-17.
              We need at least 4 starting quality CBs next season. If JCJ comes back healthy it'll help.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by perryao View Post
                About time. I wonder.

Reid took over for a team that had "crashed and burned" before he got there. The previous year to his hiring, the Eagles went 3-13. They went 5-11 under Reid his first year, then averaged 12 wins per year for the next five. Reid had three losing seasons out of 14 as head coach of the Eagles.It may have been unknown at the time who would do better, but it was certainly highly probable that Reid would outperform McCoy.

The point isn't whether or not a coach like Urban Meyer (who didn't have the Andy Reid pedigree anyway), it's whether or not a wealthy owner has an advantage over a less wealthy owner. In other words, would it be more likely for a wealthy owner have the resources to hire someone like Reid/UM over a less wealthy owner.

It was one example, not the only one. I can come up with more.

There was no Reid caliber coach available when Kroenke brought in McVay.
                My point is that regardless of wealth, being being able to pay more doesn’t really seem to be correlated to getting a good HC in the NFL.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

if we could do something w/JC Jack.... wouldn't that solve the cap issues ??
                  5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

True. We were out of starting quality CBs. Ja can run but he couldn't hide, or cover.
                    Bosa lead a feud with the officials which the pass rush lost.
                    Lombardi forgot that burning time would have won.
                    Clusterf**k.
                    We were consistently dominant on D weeks 14-17.
                    We need at least 4 starting quality CBs next season. If JCJ comes back healthy it'll help.
                    Or maybe adjust scheme? Dunno, it’s mystical..

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Or maybe adjust scheme? Dunno, it’s mystical..
                      With D players we didn't have?
                      Offense- definitely. Keep the clock running at least. Make a FG for the W.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Not surprising ultimately given Moores’ connection. Pep would have been a nice rehire even though I think he’s a bad OC.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                          Not surprising ultimately given Moores’ connection. Pep would have been a nice rehire even though I think he’s a bad OC.

I think Pep has a year or two left on his Texans contract

His son is a hot shot QB college prospect

I have read Pep might not coach while his son finishes high school

Comment

Working...
                          X