• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

One nice plus, Moore helped bring in Doug Nussmeier, current QB coach and a strong OC candidate.
    BUT....no point in getting ahead of ourselves. Win a SB first!
    Lol, that made me laugh in a good way.

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

what is the grouping called with no RBs? is that another version of 10? We've all seen empty backfield formations in our lifetimes.
      It's called 'empty'. No number designation.

Below are the numbered gap alignments for the defense. Why are the TE 9 designated a 9? No one knows. Alabama's Bear Bryant assigned the number 9 to it and nobody ever had the guts to question him as to why.

technique.png

Speaking of Bear Bryant, Bear was head coach at Kentucky the same time Adolph Rupp was HC of Wildcats basketball. At a banquet, Kentucky president asked Rupp to come to the head table for a special "gift" and he handed the coach a box the exact same size as the one he had handed Bryant a short time earlier. Only when Rupp opened his box, there were keys to a brand new Cadillac, not a sterling silver cigarette lighter.

Bryant's Kentucky squad won the SEC championship and Bear received a cigarette lighter. Adolph Rupp received a new Cadillac. Bear was done w/ Kentucky.

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The irony is that if Moore unleashes the offense as a lot of people (myself included) expect to happen, it will increase the chances the team as a whole succeeds and Staley and Telesco are back and Moore's tenure here could be short as he will get a long look at HC opportunities.
        Solid logic behind this, Rich. I would like to add a wrinkle. There's an old Persian proverb: He who brings victory in battle is prized over all others.

Speculation: Success will wield a double-edged sword, as IF success is achieved through the Moore's offense, then the priority becomes keeping Moore, right? Then the dialog changes in the front office about what can possibly be done to not lose Kellen Moore. Assistant head coach titles and raises are the easiest answers, after a while the answer comes clear: Staley is replaceable and Kellen Moore isn't.

Riverwalk and I are on the same page concerning Moore. He is the future or he is one-and-done in Los Angeles as OC. Spanos Family can't allow him to leave the fold.

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I realize that calling for a coordinator not to be allowed to leave the fold before he has even called a game as a radical if not downright silly stance. But Moore's sequencing complicates plays for defenses, taxes them so thoroughly, and keeps things refreshingly simple for the offenses, and has such a high success rate with his play-calling in Dallas, he is a lay-up in what he brings to the organization before he calls a single down.

It's been a couple years for Staley and I like what he's done with special teams and team chemistry. After that, I'm searching. I do believe that Staley and Moore could work very well together this season, and that benefits everybody.

"The offenses that I think are the most challenging to defend are the ones that put a lot of pressure on you every snap, in terms of marrying the run game to the pass game, putting a lot of pressure on you with personnel groupings, pace, motion, and being able to get the explosions consistently," Staley said. "I want to have an offense that mirrors our defense because I think that those are the types of organizations, those are the type of football teams, who are consistent, game-in and game-out, season-in and season-out." - Brandon Staley

https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news...ess-conference

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

It's called 'empty'. No number designation.

Below are the numbered gap alignments for the defense. Why are the TE 9 designated a 9? No one knows. Alabama's Bear Bryant assigned the number 9 to it and nobody ever had the guts to question him as to why.

technique.png

Speaking of Bear Bryant, Bear was head coach at Kentucky the same time Adolph Rupp was HC of Wildcats basketball. At a banquet, Kentucky president asked Rupp to come to the head table for a special "gift" and he handed the coach a box the exact same size as the one he had handed Bryant a short time earlier. Only when Rupp opened his box, there were keys to a brand new Cadillac, not a sterling silver cigarette lighter.

Bryant's Kentucky squad won the SEC championship and Bear received a cigarette lighter. Adolph Rupp received a new Cadillac. Bear was done w/ Kentucky.
            That kinda sucks that it doesn’t get a number. I hope its not a relic of lingering racism.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

This has gotta make your mouths water …

image.png

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

I realize that calling for a coordinator not to be allowed to leave the fold before he has even called a game as a radical if not downright silly stance. But Moore's sequencing complicates plays for defenses, taxes them so thoroughly, and keeps things refreshingly simple for the offenses, and has such a high success rate with his play-calling in Dallas, he is a lay-up in what he brings to the organization before he calls a single down.

It's been a couple years for Staley and I like what he's done with special teams and team chemistry. After that, I'm searching. I do believe that Staley and Moore could work very well together this season, and that benefits everybody.
                Agree, i see improvement. Was Staley not fully prepared on day 1 - absolutely. Hindsight is clear. Does that mean he can never be great? Not my opinion, no.

Case in point - Mr Moore: Staley pounced on him before his cowboy mug was even cold. It might have still been jiggling where he quickly set it down.

Many folks think Staley is a pompous refuse-to-improve “know-it-all”. I dont see or hear that in him. I see a guy with the confidence and passion to try and lead but the intelligence to try to get better. Ain’t never been a coach who did everything right from his very first blown whistle.

Everyone sees everything nowadays thru their own prism … that is the modern ethos - “fuck facts, i see it the way I feel it.” I feel great about 2023 Chargers - roster and staff.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                  This has gotta make your mouths water …

image.png
                  Umm, not as much as this

PXL_20210710_013230388.jpg

Or this

PXL_20210816_230255811.jpg
                  Attached Files
                  11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
                  35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                  37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                  66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                  69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                  105 Brenden Rice WR - USC
                  110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                  140 Hunter Nourzad OC - Penn st
                  181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
                  225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st /253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

As a team, the Chargers recorded a league-worst 45.7 run blocking grade, according to the metics of Pro Football Focus.

https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news/chargers-kellen-moore-offensive-coordinator-introduction-press-conference

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

2019-2022, the Dallas offense under Moore has ranked No. 2 in the NFL in total offense (391.0 net yards per game) and scoring (27.7 points per game).

image.png

Stealing dmac's pic to say, it's on.

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Chargers defense.png

It is Staley's squad that has me concerned. I have concerns about the free safety depth, is Gilman the guy? I think we've got the CBs, but would love to have Bryce Callahan back at a price, I think another vet EDGE is a must. I think our LB squad is solid. If the DBs are healthy and solid, I think the DT rotation could be outstanding.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

As a team, the Chargers recorded a league-worst 45.7 run blocking grade, according to the metics of Pro Football Focus.

https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news/chargers-kellen-moore-offensive-coordinator-introduction-press-conference
                          Not hard to believe. Run production was 30th and the RBs weren't that bad.

Comment

Working...
                          X