• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

They also didn't use him in the passing game much after his rookie year when he had 50 receptions. I'm not arguing at all that Lombo was better than Steichen lol. He could have done better and I don't blame him for not retaining Steichen. Let the HC pick his staff.
    This place is just weird. Complain when they are here, praise when they aren't. We'll see how well he does in Indy.
    Steichen was pretty much given a mulberry in 2020. Most here realized the Oline was complete crap and Herbert was a rookie who greatly exceeded expectations.

Lynn had that huge bullseye hanging from him, and absorbed pot shot after pot shot all year.
    What little missed Lynn found its way to Gus.

No one has been praising Anthony Lynn here lately, nor bradley.

If Topcat fires up a poll midseason on whether fans want to bring back Gus' picket fence, you know things are hitting rock bottom.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      Spiller is going to be Ezekiel Elliot.

Which version of Zeke?

I am glad that Moore, unlike Lombo, is an ex qb who played in a division I conference.
      I'll wait a good bit before proclaiming him a genius

Just madness bringing in a defensive coach, and then an ex tight end as your OC,
      when you have Justin Herbert.

Insanity that your head coach, and both coordinators had 1.5 years of total combined experience starting out.

Charger management has an irritating quality of being the type of trail blazers that strand the entire expedition in the middle of the desert.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

They also didn't use him in the passing game much after his rookie year when he had 50 receptions. I'm not arguing at all that Lombo was better than Steichen lol. He could have done better and I don't blame him for not retaining Steichen. Let the HC pick his staff.
        This place is just weird. Complain when they are here, praise when they aren't. We'll see how well he does in Indy.
        I wasn't on this forum when Staley was hired, but I wanted to keep Steichen and Hamilton after the job they did with Herbert during his rookie year. I was hoping for the best with Lombardi, but I was concerned about how Matthew Stafford wasn't his biggest fan when they worked together in Detroit, to the point Stafford's wife was slamming Lombardi in the press.

There's very little doubt in my mind that Steichen would have done a better job than Lombardi. With that said, who knows if Steichen wanted to work for Staley? Even if Staley wanted to retain him, Steichen could have chosen to go with Sirianni in Philadelphia, after working together in San Diego.

I don't think Steichen is going to do well in Indianapolis. I think they really blew it by taking Anthony Richardson. That won't change my mind about Steichen as an offensive coordinator, though. Although the Colts didn't give up three first-round picks to get him, I think that's just as bad of a selection as the 49ers taking Trey Lance third overall in 2021. The Cots have Jonathan Taylor to lead the offense, but I don't see Gardner Minshew and the rest of that roster being able to put wins together in the way Jimmy Garoppolo and the players around him in San Francisco were while Lance sat.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I wasn't on this forum when Staley was hired, but I wanted to keep Steichen and Hamilton after the job they did with Herbert during his rookie year. I was hoping for the best with Lombardi, but I was concerned about how Matthew Stafford wasn't his biggest fan when they worked together in Detroit, to the point Stafford's wife was slamming Lombardi in the press.

There's very little doubt in my mind that Steichen would have done a better job than Lombardi. With that said, who knows if Steichen wanted to work for Staley? Even if Staley wanted to retain him, Steichen could have chosen to go with Sirianni in Philadelphia, after working together in San Diego.

I don't think Steichen is going to do well in Indianapolis. I think they really blew it by taking Anthony Richardson. That won't change my mind about Steichen as an offensive coordinator, though. Although the Colts didn't give up three first-round picks to get him, I think that's just as bad of a selection as the 49ers taking Trey Lance third overall in 2021. The Cots have Jonathan Taylor to lead the offense, but I don't see Gardner Minshew and the rest of that roster being able to put wins together in the way Jimmy Garoppolo and the players around him in San Francisco were while Lance sat.
          I think Richardson is an excellent prospect. He has some basic mechanics flaws that affects his accuracy that they can clean up and improve that accuracy. he’s a big strong tall kid that can run well and has an howitzer arm. he might end up with the highest upside of all the QBs taken this year.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I think Richardson is an excellent prospect. He has some basic mechanics flaws that affects his accuracy that they can clean up and improve that accuracy. he’s a big strong tall kid that can run well and has an howitzer arm. he might end up with the highest upside of all the QBs taken this year.
            That remains to be seen, but the fact that he started only 13 games and completed just 54.7 percent of his passes in college doesn't scream success in the NFL. Especially early on.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

A lot of pre-draft evaluations on Richardson and had him as the QB with the highest ceiling and lowest floor in the draft. If Steichen can last long enough to grow through the growing pains and tap his potential he will definitely have proved something. I have nothing against Steichen but Moore is our OC now so I'm excited about what he will do with us.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

The Nellies on this board were all gearing up to get the pitchforks and torches for the 'cheap Spanos' family who would force Staley to retain Steichen using the excuse of maintaining continuity while really just placing being cheap above all else. John Spanos was the real coach and Staley was just a figure head. And on and on. It was pretty comical. Probably can see the history for fun if one is truly bored.

Both Siriani and Steichen cut their teeth as assistants here on our team. Impressive.

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Which version of Zeke?

I am glad that Moore, unlike Lombo, is an ex qb who played in a division I conference.
                  I'll wait a good bit before proclaiming him a genius

Just madness bringing in a defensive coach, and then an ex tight end as your OC,
                  when you have Justin Herbert.

Insanity that your head coach, and both coordinators had 1.5 years of total combined experience starting out.

Charger management has an irritating quality of being the type of trail blazers that strand the entire expedition in the middle of the desert.
                  Are you talking about the Chargers coaches? When hired in 2021 their coaching experience was:
                  Brandon Staley- 10 yrs college, 4 years NFL
                  Joe Lombardi- 10 yrs college, 15 yrs NFL
                  Renaldo Hill- 2 yrs college, 5 yrs NFL.

ps: Brandon played QB.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

A lot of pre-draft evaluations on Richardson and had him as the QB with the highest ceiling and lowest floor in the draft. If Steichen can last long enough to grow through the growing pains and tap his potential he will definitely have proved something. I have nothing against Steichen but Moore is our OC now so I'm excited about what he will do with us.
                    I saw a couple tape breakdowns of AR’s accuracy problems, almost every bad throw could be traced back to a mechanics error. The question is how long will it take to fix that, or can it just not be fixed. I bet it can. Herbie had mechanics flaws at OU, but he worked on it hard with a pro trainer and was much better even when he arrived at the combine.

I would have taken the risk on AR over most of the other QBs, personally. The ceiling is that high imo.

Edit - i don’t think success would bestow Steichen a magic cape. There are lots of QB coaches that know the drills and techniques to attack and reduce mechanics flaws, he’ll have one i am sure. Thats like giving Steichen credit for Herbie having a great rookie year. Sure, he didn’t fuck it up and many credit Pep as well, I give credit to Herbie.

Because, after all, Herbie IS the Golden God.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...ates-to-watch/

NFL head coaches on shaky ground entering 2023 season: Eight hot-seat candidates to watch

Every NFL offseason is an exercise in change. Not only for players, but for coaching staffs across the league. This year, for example, five different teams -- roughly 15% of the NFL -- will have new head coaches, just a year after 10 (!) jobs changed hands.

The 2023 season will inevitably prompt more change on the sidelines. While many icons, like the Chiefs' Andy Reid and the Steelers' Mike Tomlin, are all but locked into their jobs for as long as they choose, a slew of others are wading into murkier waters.

Of course, in a team sport, head coaches don't solely deserve blame for whatever struggles might be muddying their future, but in a results-based business -- and in a league that prioritizes parity -- there's a price to be paid for a lack of success.

With that in mind, here's a look at head coaches standing on shakier ground entering 2023:

Brandon Staley, Chargers

Year: 3rd | Record: 19-15 | Playoffs: 0-1

Staley, 40, has kept Los Angeles competitive. But even with a lineup flush with all-stars, his teams have folded at the worst times, in dramatic fashion. His first year ended with quizzical time management in a Week 18 play-in defeat, and last year ended with a blown 27-0 playoff lead, the worst in team history. Without steady results from a talented defense, Staley's now betting on Kellen Moore, his third offensive coordinator in as many years, to take star quarterback Justin Herbert over the hump.​

-------
                        If Kellen Moore puts the Chargers over the hump on the offense, I think we are all bullish on that idea, and if Mack/Bosa have a year like we all believe they can and stay healthy, then Staley will have a shot an earning himself an extension. Difficulty-level, Staley's going up against the 2nd winningest coaches in the league in 1) Andy Reid 2) Sean Payton in the same division. ​

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                          https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...ates-to-watch/

...Brandon Staley, Chargers

Year: 3rd | Record: 19-15 | Playoffs: 0-1

Staley, 40, has kept Los Angeles competitive. But even with a lineup flush with all-stars, his teams have folded at the worst times, in dramatic fashion. His first year ended with quizzical time management in a Week 18 play-in defeat, and last year ended with a blown 27-0 playoff lead, the worst in team history. Without steady results from a talented defense, Staley's now betting on Kellen Moore, his third offensive coordinator in as many years, to take star quarterback Justin Herbert over the hump.​

-------
                          If Kellen Moore puts the Chargers over the hump on the offense, I think we are all bullish on that idea, and if Mack/Bosa have a year like we all believe they can and stay healthy, then Staley will have a shot an earning himself an extension. Difficulty-level, Staley's going up against the 2nd winningest coaches in the league in 1) Andy Reid 2) Sean Payton in the same division. ​
                          I agree with the obvious (albeit I have confidence the Chargers are going to do very well and end the chatter)

But Lombo was his OC both years, this sportswriter is on shaky ground.

Comment

Working...
                          X