• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Dak Prescott was knocked out of action in Week 1 of the 2022 season. In Week 2, the Cowboys started Cooper Rush and
    beat the Bengals. Friends, that is a helluva accomplishment: beating Joe Burrow & the Bengals with your backup QB.

All the credit in the world to Rush, and Moore for coaching him up and also developing a gameplan that could beat the Bengals.

Bottomline: If Moore could coax this type of performance w/ Rush, imagine what he's gonna do with Herbert?

Comment

• NashBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Dak Prescott was knocked out of action in Week 1 of the 2022 season. In Week 2, the Cowboys started Cooper Rush and
      beat the Bengals. Friends, that is a helluva accomplishment: beating Joe Burrow & the Bengals with your backup QB.

All the credit in the world to Rush, and Moore for coaching him up and also developing a gameplan that could beat the Bengals.

Bottomline: If Moore could coax this type of performance w/ Rush, imagine what he's gonna do with Herbert?
      Yes, one of several things I'm looking forward to this season. I have this feeling it's gonna be good !

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Thanks ghost! I'm kinda stoked about Nussmeier also.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Gs_mvuytc

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Atlanta Falcons v Dallas Cowboys Week 10 - 2021

November 19, 2021

One of the joys this 2021 season has been watching the creative ways offensive coordinator Kellen Moore has worked with less than maximum firepower. He lost his best deep threat, Michael Gallup, in the season opener against Tampa as worked the interim relying on his 12 personnel set: two tight ends, receivers Amari Cooper and Ceedee Lamb, and rotating running backs.

Moore would sprinkle in two running back sets from time to time and use three receiver sets with stouter options like Cedric Wilson and Noah Brown, but Dallas used a more deliberate attack. Sure, Moore could call up explosive plays almost at will, but this was an attack that worked to grind.

He leaned heavily on the flank formation, with two tight ends overloading one side of the offensive line and two receivers in a slot formation opposite. This gave defenses fits. The look has a run overload to one side. Will Dallas go to tendency and hammer? Sometimes they do. But sometimes they run weak.

Will they run at all? Or will they throw to those two premium targets working in tandem opposite? Sometimes they do that. Or will Moore throw to one of his tight ends, as both of them have deep speed? Moore kept the opposition guessing, biding his time until Gallup’s return.

On Sunday, Moore had his full receiver room at his disposal and put on a clinic of going with and against tendencies. Moore didn’t just create a fresh look for the Falcons to ponder. He would yo-yo from one extreme to another, using heavy power running sets and then going to full spread looks from the 11-personnel, three-receiver groups.

Not only would he do this series to series, but on this one particular drive I’m going to dissect, he made the Falcons change up set-of-down-to-set-of-downs. It was a brilliant piece of strategic tomfoolery and it resulted in Dallas’ fourth touchdown of a brilliant half that saw them score 36 points. (continued)

The rest of the article is too hard to format as it contains plenty of photos. Please visit the link for the rest of the excellent breakdown on Moore's formations, zone run game, and scoring output. I also included the full game so you can see the plays in reference from the broadcast. I usually watch the full games and skip everything but the offensive snaps when evaluating Moore's offense. Then I attempt to audit the plays.

I believe that quote on a Moore offense not made to explode but to grind will ring true with our Chargers. I am of the opinion that the best Air Coryell Chargers were the ones with Chuck Muncie, because it made the Chargers far, far more physical, and I think it works well to exhaust an opponent with your grinding running game.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lis...-2021-week-10/

1:48 - Second snap from scrimmage of the game is the Cowboys running a flanker screen. Empty backfield, It looks like three TEs on the strong side and Zeke in man coverage lined up as a WR on the weak side. The flanker screen is to CeeDee Lamb and the TEs block downfield and spring Lamb beautifully. I say this because this would be an awesome play to run with Quentin Johnston.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

@27:47 Out of 11 Personnel, the Cowboys have a WR and TE, and CeeDee Lamb in a stack on the strong-side. Michael Gallup is singled up in man on the weakside. Pre-snap motion sends CeeDee Lamb in motion to the weakside and the CB follows, so the coverage on CeeDee is Man. At the snap, Lamb works way upfield seven yards, dead steps his defender, plants and cuts and runs an out, catches the ball, sheds the single defender, and takes the ball to the 11 yard line. Another splash play.

cowboys.png

ceedee.png

CeeDee in motion w/ the CB shadowing.
            Attached Files

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

@27:47 Out of 11 Personnel, the Cowboys have a WR and TE, and CeeDee Lamb in a stack on the strong-side. Michael Gallup is singled up in man on the weakside. Pre-snap motion sends CeeDee Lamb in motion to the weakside and the CB follows, so the coverage on CeeDee is Man. At the snap, Lamb works way upfield seven yards, dead steps his defender, plants and cuts and runs an out, catches the ball, sheds the single defender, and takes the ball to the 11 yard line. Another splash play.

cowboys.png

ceedee.png

All on 4th down.
              hell of a design.
              P1. Block Destruction
              P2. Shocking Effort
              P3. Ball Disruption
              P4. Obnoxious Communication

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                Outback Goon
                • Sep 2018
                • Australia
                • Send PM

cowboys.png

ceedee.png

I took the liberty of editing this play for us to enjoy, hope you dont mind:

ooohhh yeah i'm excited.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I quite enjoyed your creativity in that, Chilies. I'm going to keep looking for more Moore plays that would adapt well to the Chargers 10, 11, + 12 Personnel.

personnel groups.png

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

I quite enjoyed your creativity in that, Chilies. I'm going to keep looking for more Moore plays that would adapt well to the Chargers 10, 11, + 12 Personnel.

personnel groups.png
                    what is the grouping called with no RBs? is that another version of 10? We've all seen empty backfield formations in our lifetimes.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Riverwalk
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2021
                      • Send PM

I think the odds are better than even Kellen Moore is Charger HC in 2024.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
                        I think the odds are better than even Kellen Moore is Charger HC in 2024.
                        The irony is that if Moore unleashes the offense as a lot of people (myself included) expect to happen, it will increase the chances the team as a whole succeeds and Staley and Telesco are back and Moore's tenure here could be short as he will get a long look at HC opportunities.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The irony is that if Moore unleashes the offense as a lot of people (myself included) expect to happen, it will increase the chances the team as a whole succeeds and Staley and Telesco are back and Moore's tenure here could be short as he will get a long look at HC opportunities.
                          One nice plus, Moore helped bring in Doug Nussmeier, current QB coach and a strong OC candidate.
                          BUT....no point in getting ahead of ourselves. Win a SB first!

Comment

Working...
                          X