• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    It is painful but almost inevitable. It is Slayer now, Herb's contract now, instead of failing to retain Slater later.

Moore's offense calls for a variety of weaponry. I see RBs, TEs and a strange crop of WRs who can help us win.

I expect Bosa to train very hard with kid DPOY, like Joey says he will. This will make him attractive in a trade or a stretched out new contract. The EDGE class is very, very deep.

I wonder if we can do something helpful with JC. Who knows what, but there are CBs early middle and late to augment depth with STs Ja'Sir and Deane.

The key is leadership, culture and absorption of StaleyD concepts. It is about choices, difficult choices, but choices that WILL be made.

I agree with the bolded above - and that's my biggest concern for next year. We have poor leadership (players and coaches) and a culture of collapse and failure. I don't care how many times BS says he likes the 'culture' of the team. It's like the captain of the Titanic admiring the pretty icebergs . . . . .

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I agree with the bolded above - and that's my biggest concern for next year. We have poor leadership (players and coaches) and a culture of collapse and failure. I don't care how many times BS says he likes the 'culture' of the team. It's like the captain of the Titanic admiring the pretty icebergs . . . . .
      How much have the yunguns on D become inculcated in StaleyD concepts ?

StaleyD is a system--personnel is eye candy !!
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

How much have the yunguns on D become inculcated in StaleyD concepts ?

StaleyD is a system--personnel is eye candy !!
        I admire your optimism. I haven't seen near enough improvement on D to feel comfortable with Staley's ability to make a difference. My hopes for next year ride on Herbert's progression and Kellen Moore.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

We were only one game better last year than the year before. I guess that’s trending up? We’ll see.
          The year before we had a healthy Herbert all year. This year we had a beat up Herbert (along with all the other players) and we still improved.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The year before we had a healthy Herbert all year. This year we had a beat up Herbert (along with all the other players) and we still improved.
            Yep . . . . . right up until the end. I still haven't forgiven BS for playing Mike Williams in the Denver game (and still managing to lose) - probably never will.

I'm not going to hypothesize on what ownership's thoughts were after the Jacksonville debacle, but between that game and the Denver game I would have fired Staley as soon as the plane hit the runway on the return flight, after taking a big strip out of his ass first. Culture be damned . . . . .

Comment

• Boltx
              Dominate the day
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

My hopes for next year ride on Herbert's progression and Kellen Moore.
              Oh boy...

I'd be more worried about losing Everett than KA. He looks like he is about to blossom into a potential star.

Does it even matter anymore with KC and Denver in this division?
              ​​​
              ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• BoltBacker
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Las Vegas, NV
                • Send PM

Agree, Healthy Herbert + healthy O-line = an improvement next year. O-coordinator also improves things. Draft a WR and TE and prioritize bringing Pipkins back. Keenan has been a great Charger but getting speed is just as important. We knew when Mike Williams got big money that Keenans days were numbered. If it is not this year it will be next. Offer him an extension with a small pay cut and see how bad he wants to stay.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Oh boy...

I'd be more worried about losing Everett than KA. He looks like he is about to blossom into a potential star.

Does it even matter anymore with KC and Denver in this division?
                  ​​​
                  If KC experiences the same level of injuries (to key players) as we did last year there's a chance. Jury's still out on Denver - I'm not convinced Wilson can be salvaged.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

There needs to be a lot of improvement from within for the Chargers to do better. The thing that separates a lot of teams and the Chargers is other teams do a better job of getting closer to the maximum amount out of each player.

As far as Allen goes ... how does it make sense to take the most consistent ( or at least the 2nd most consistent) offensive weapon away from our QB if the team/offense is built around the QB? Mike Williams is a good WR#2, but you can't build an offense around him and expect him to get 100 catches. He is hurt too much,if for no other reason.

We won't get anything for Bosa or Allen anyway. There is no trade value for guys getting paid that much. Chubb got the Donks a bunch in trade value, but he was still on his rookie deal. And if we are going to get rid of Bosa, we might as well get rid of Mack as well. 1 edge rusher is pretty much useless because just like Bosa and Mack have seen the last 2 years, they will draw all the attention and be chipped and doubled to death. You have to have the pair of edge guys, and we don't. Sometimes you can get lucky and draft a guy, but it is only recently that rookie pass rushers are coming out of college with enough polish to be productive out of the gate. Pass rushers hit their prime about the end of their rookie deal.

Cutting Allen would just leave a huge gap in our O. Who would Herbert throw to? Everett had a career year, but even then he was only as good as Jared Cook was, and Cook had a couple of very good games before he hit the over-30 wall/end-of-career wall. Sure, Carter, Guyton, and Palmer are all decent 3rd WR, but none of them is a clear #1 or #2 WR at this point. They could be solid starters in an offense that runs the ball more and throws a lot less, but you can't throw them into an offense that throws 40-50 times a game and think we are going to be a very good offense. We need some more/better offensive weapons, but unless there is some reason to think Allen is at the end of the road, it is a little early to get rid of him. We might not re-sign him to an extension or another deal, but if we want to be competitive we need him.

The other thing that people seem to be forgetting is that we don't have to cut anyone to get under the cap. According to Over The Cap (https://overthecap.com/restructure), we can give ourselves around $36.5 million in cap space through simple restructuring. That is above and beyond the $23.6 million we are in the hole now. That does not include any cuts or extensions. We can clear even more if there is more complicated restructuring. In short, while there is a little to worry about, it is not a huge problem. Not so much we get rid of our #1 WR without a replacement in hand.

The big response is that restructuring is not something the Chargers typically do!!!! It is not. But the Chargers typically don't go on big-money FA spending sprees either. If you decide to go on the spending spree, the playing with funny money thing was already the only response to make. The decision was made last year, it is not a decision that is yet to be made.​

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      There needs to be a lot of improvement from within for the Chargers to do better. The thing that separates a lot of teams and the Chargers is other teams do a better job of getting closer to the maximum amount out of each player.

As far as Allen goes ... how does it make sense to take the most consistent ( or at least the 2nd most consistent) offensive weapon away from our QB if the team/offense is built around the QB? Mike Williams is a good WR#2, but you can't build an offense around him and expect him to get 100 catches. He is hurt too much,if for no other reason.

We won't get anything for Bosa or Allen anyway. There is no trade value for guys getting paid that much. Chubb got the Donks a bunch in trade value, but he was still on his rookie deal. And if we are going to get rid of Bosa, we might as well get rid of Mack as well. 1 edge rusher is pretty much useless because just like Bosa and Mack have seen the last 2 years, they will draw all the attention and be chipped and doubled to death. You have to have the pair of edge guys, and we don't. Sometimes you can get lucky and draft a guy, but it is only recently that rookie pass rushers are coming out of college with enough polish to be productive out of the gate. Pass rushers hit their prime about the end of their rookie deal.

Cutting Allen would just leave a huge gap in our O. Who would Herbert throw to? Everett had a career year, but even then he was only as good as Jared Cook was, and Cook had a couple of very good games before he hit the over-30 wall/end-of-career wall. Sure, Carter, Guyton, and Palmer are all decent 3rd WR, but none of them is a clear #1 or #2 WR at this point. They could be solid starters in an offense that runs the ball more and throws a lot less, but you can't throw them into an offense that throws 40-50 times a game and think we are going to be a very good offense. We need some more/better offensive weapons, but unless there is some reason to think Allen is at the end of the road, it is a little early to get rid of him. We might not re-sign him to an extension or another deal, but if we want to be competitive we need him.

The other thing that people seem to be forgetting is that we don't have to cut anyone to get under the cap. According to Over The Cap (https://overthecap.com/restructure), we can give ourselves around $36.5 million in cap space through simple restructuring. That is above and beyond the $23.6 million we are in the hole now. That does not include any cuts or extensions. We can clear even more if there is more complicated restructuring. In short, while there is a little to worry about, it is not a huge problem. Not so much we get rid of our #1 WR without a replacement in hand.

The big response is that restructuring is not something the Chargers typically do!!!! It is not. But the Chargers typically don't go on big-money FA spending sprees either. If you decide to go on the spending spree, the playing with funny money thing was already the only response to make. The decision was made last year, it is not a decision that is yet to be made.​
                      People on here seem to think finding a pass-rusher of Bosa's caliber is so easy.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Oh my....EXCELLENT Titanic simile there, Lefty...

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

People on here seem to think finding a pass-rusher of Bosa's caliber is so easy.
                          Bosa helped us lose to the Jags with those bonehead penalties...yes, he's a pretty good pass rusher, but not necessarily elite...not to mention his injury history...if we can dump him for a high 2nd rounder and a 5th, I'd do that deal...

Comment

Working...
                          X