• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet 1
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Kauai
    • Send PM

Thoughts On Cutting Keenan Allen?

Makes no sense to me. I think he and Herbert have so much chemistry its scary. The idea of losing our 3rd down monster kills me personally. One of my favorite Bolts of all time. There is also no mention of trading him? Im against it. But dropping him outright?

Ive always been under the impression we would restructure guys like KA/Bosa. I know this is being discussed elsewhere but this is a monster rumor imo and its regarding one of the best Chargers we have ever had. I would be terribly upset if we moved on from him. You better draft his replacement and make sure that replacement is the guy before you set this offense back. I havnt seen enough to trust that we could overcome losing Keenan. And that leaves us with MW who is one of the most fragile WRs in the game. You better at the very least draft a stud pass catcher before you simply cut Keenan.

I would hope at the very least we get something in return. He reminds me a lot of Keenan McCardell who was part of a couple really good teams. I say it all the time when he and Mike are on the field together for more than 50% of the snaps we were 4-0 last season. I would have to go look at the snap counts for the broncos game to see if that makes it 4-1....but still these 2 together are hard to stop. I want to keep evolving and building to JHs strengths and taking Keenan out? Did we see what we looked like on offense without him? If we keep MW healthy and he plays that Jags game...i dont see them shutting Keenan down in the 2nd half. That formula and not having it was huge.

Im not for cutting Keenan. I want him to retire a Bolt. Hard to do this day and age....but having him in the slot with MW and maybe another speed perimeter guy? A stud TE as well?? Rework the run game?

Almost rather trade Bosa.

You have a 2023 where you are over the cap by a decent chunk...meaning you are all in on last season...and we go into a meaningless game risking starters that have been hurt all season? Im still pissed about that.

• blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

No. That’s my thought. And agree, rather trade Bosa.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

He should be out version of Travis Kelce. If he could stay on the field

Comment

• nomad1946
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2017
        • West Yellowstone, Montana
        • Retired
        • Send PM

The way I see it is that we have to be at or under the cap by 4PM March 15th. We can not initiate a trade until after 4 PM March 15th. So we have to find a way to get under the cap and it can not involve a trade. If we restructure Allen( and others ) we are pushing the problem down the road into when we need a good bit of cap to sign, re-sign, some of our own, like Herbi and Slater. So it is a problem and one possible solution is to release Allen( along with other moves ) I don't like the idea of releasing him, but they might have to do it.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Extend him 2 years with an out in the last year. Gives us 3 more years with a possible out.

And I'm for trading Bosa. Get Seattle's #20 and 84 for him.
          Draft Edge with one of our first rounders.
          11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
          100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
          140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
          181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
          225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Berserker76
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Would rather trade Bosa than Allen, can probably get something better for Bosa, anyway. Allen has lost a step but still plays with a passion and has a knack for getting open. This draft is pretty deep with edge rushers, and they can usually produce as rookies, and at a much cheaper salary!

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by nomad1946 View Post
              The way I see it is that we have to be at or under the cap by 4PM March 15th. We can not initiate a trade until after 4 PM March 15th. So we have to find a way to get under the cap and it can not involve a trade. If we restructure Allen( and others ) we are pushing the problem down the road into when we need a good bit of cap to sign, re-sign, some of our own, like Herbi and Slater. So it is a problem and one possible solution is to release Allen( along with other moves ) I don't like the idea of releasing him, but they might have to do it.
              Yes we can. They just become official on that date and time .

March 15 (4 p.m.): The 2023 NFL league year begins. Unrestricted free agent contracts and trades agreed to prior to the start of the new league year can be executed

Comment

• nomad1946
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2017
                • West Yellowstone, Montana
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                Yes we can. They just become official on that date and time .

March 15 (4 p.m.): The 2023 NFL league year begins. Unrestricted free agent contracts and trades agreed to prior to the start of the new league year can be executed
                The way I read it is that we have to be under the cap before 4PM and trades happen starting at 4PM.

Comment

• lightsout42
                  Hire a winning coach
                  • Oct 2019
                  • Send PM

Keeping Keenan is critical for this year. We also need to draft a WR in the first 2 rounds.

Comment

• C’monchargers
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

The way I read it is that we have to be under the cap before 4PM and trades happen starting at 4PM.
                    Yes and no, I believe the Top 51 rule kicks into affect when only top 51 most expensive contract is counted. Correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

If that trade brings us under the cap, I think it will be fine if it is agreed upon,...however that won't be our only move prior to that date.
                      Restructures, extensions, cuts will happen..

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by lightsout42 View Post
                        Keeping Keenan is critical for this year. We also need to draft a WR in the first 2 rounds.
                        Are we letting Jalen Guyton walk? I know Deandre Carter likely won't be retained.

Could Palmer be the guy if he continues to improve?

Comment

Working...
                        X