• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by HerbieParadigm View Post
    Moore’s “Tear Off the Head & Shit Down Their Neck” approach to play-calling.

![/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]
    We can only dream.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

I prefer big DTs who can push the LOS and tackle to smaller, mobile pass rush types. I don’t care about pass rush from my DTs. I just want them to push the pocket backwards on passing plays. I want them to tie up the OL at the LOS so the LBs and S can keep clean and make tackles on rushing plays. I hate playing on our side of the LOS. I want the bigger, more physical DTs who can beat the crap out of the OL, not the little finesse guys who take the beating.

This gives me cheaper DTs (because they can’t pass rush) so I can spend more money on Edges to go get the QB.

Gotta manage the salary cap for maximum benefit.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I'd consider all defensive lineman and not prioritize DT vs. edge.

Just get a cluster and choose the top dog
        Creating interior pressure obviously helps, but its not overtaking the pressure and sacks created on the outside in the NFL so its overstated in the last few pages here.

Clever DCs are doing more than just inside vs outside pressure. Sometimes inside pressure is from an edge rusher who stunts behind inside. If the IDL can tie up the interior OL, he sometimes comes thru free. Often it’s a blitzing LB. Etc etc … smart DCs are shifting rushers, overloading zones, etc - make OL have to react and change their blocking in a blink - increasing the chances they make a mistake

And sometimes they just throw more horses at the pocket. With great and/or running QBs that creates new dangers. blitz and remove coverage, or overload and leave gaps in the DL. Sometimes they stunt and just switch, not creating holes but forcing OL to switch off without fucking up.

Edge rusher dominance in sacks isnt going away anytime soon.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Creating interior pressure obviously helps, but its not overtaking the pressure and sacks created on the outside in the NFL so its overstated in the last few pages here.

Clever DCs are doing more than just inside vs outside pressure. Sometimes inside pressure is from an edge rusher who stunts behind inside. If the IDL can tie up the interior OL, he sometimes comes thru free. Often it’s a blitzing LB. Etc etc … smart DCs are shifting rushers, overloading zones, etc - make OL have to react and change their blocking in a blink - increasing the chances they make a mistake

And sometimes they just throw more horses at the pocket. With great and/or running QBs that creates new dangers. blitz and remove coverage, or overload and leave gaps in the DL. Sometimes they stunt and just switch, not creating holes but forcing OL to switch off without fucking up.

It actually may - if the league continues to allow holding at or near current levels.

Comment

• AL9000
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2022
            • San Diego, CA
            • Send PM

I'd rather lose Bosa than Mack. Especially in this D. Mack has always been the better player all around even at 32. I would love to take Tuipulotu in the 2nd round.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

When was the last really good Chargers defense?

I mean - really good. When you need a stop they get a stop type defense

I am open to whatever it takes to get that kind of defense

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

It actually may - if the league continues to allow holding at or near current levels.
                But they will just hold on the interior too, and refs can get away with even fewer calls inside than the blatant non-calls they let slide that are out in the open on the edge.

Again, I agree coaches want to generate more pressure inside. The beauty of interior pressure is not just getting to the QB (sack), but collapsing the pocket so QB can’t step up and avoiding edge rushers, clogging throwing lanes, etc. Great value in interior pressure.

But extending that thought to interior DL are more important to pass rush than edge players is an over-extrapolation of that trend. Interior DL will continue to be heavier and bigger to hold up to rushing plays inside, and there is not going to be a new superfreak class of humans that are both heavier bigger and faster. Time to QB is still the metric and Edge players are still usually first.

2022 players with current designs, current trends, current schemes = 10 or top 11 sack leaders were edge. The outlier was Chris J, a super freak athlete who lines up everywhere and cannot be contained easily by anyone on the OL inside or out.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

But they will just hold on the interior too, and refs can get away with even fewer calls inside than the blatant non-calls they let slide that are out in the open on the edge.

Again, I agree coaches want to generate more pressure inside. The beauty of interior pressure is not just getting to the QB (sack), but collapsing the pocket so QB can’t step up and avoiding edge rushers, clogging throwing lanes, etc. Great value in interior pressure.

But extending that thought to interior DL are more important to pass rush than edge players is an over-extrapolation of that trend. Interior DL will continue to be heavier and bigger to hold up to rushing plays inside, and there is not going to be a new superfreak class of humans that are both heavier bigger and faster. Time to QB is still the metric and Edge players are still usually first.

2022 players with current designs, current trends, current schemes = 10 or top 11 sack leaders were edge. The outlier was Chris J, a super freak athlete who lines up everywhere and cannot be contained easily by anyone on the OL inside or out.
                  Look up the top 10 DL Chris is listed #3. You can find several more difference makers that are not AS consistent as the top 10. QB pressure and run D by DL isn't a lost art. Some are better is all.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                    Outback Goon
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Australia
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

it takes Jwall

gotta find a Jwall

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

2010 Chargers were NFL #1 defense. (and offense) and worst STs in NFL history.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

2010 Chargers were NFL #1 defense. (and offense) and worst STs in NFL history.
                        I remember that . . . . . it was horrible. Such a waste of an (almost) great season.

Comment

• Berserker76
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by AL9000 View Post
                          I'd rather lose Bosa than Mack. Especially in this D. Mack has always been the better player all around even at 32. I would love to take Tuipulotu in the 2nd round.
                          Mack is not only the better player, but is also a better leader and teammate. Joey just doesn't seem to have his head in the game anymore. Wish it weren't true, up until recently I was a Bosa fan and even have one of his jerseys.

Comment

Working...
                          X