• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wrbanwal
    FUdean
    • Dec 2022
    • Send PM

Chargers Restructure Allen, Willams, Mack and Bosa for Cap Room

Seems to me they are kicking the can do the road. And they will be paying Herbert a Brinks next year I think?
    The Chargers are creating some salary cap space this year and pushing some salary cap hits to the future.Both Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack restructured their contracts, creating a total of $25.99 million in cap space for the Chargers, according to Field Yates of ESPN.Mack now has a $16.6 million cap hit and Bosa a [more]
  • Fleet 1
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Kauai
    • Send PM

Just a few short day ago the Chargers restructured a pair of wide receivers contracts and now they restructure the contracts of a pair of their edge rushers. The Chargers created almost $26M in cap space by restructuring the contracts of edge rushers Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack. Jamie gives all the details on the contract restructure and breaks down where the Chargers stand now. After he breaks down all the numbers Jamie suggests some possible cuts that could still come before they need to be cap compliant prior to the March 17th deadline.

For reference: before these contract restructures, the Lightning Round Podcast broke down their estimates on possible restructures, cuts and extensions on a previous podcast and the numbers aligned with the actual moves made this week.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

I wonder how cap space they could create trading Derwin James and what they could get for him. I think they overpaid Derwin with the contract they gave him last year. I think he's a liability in coverage and he's not a great run defender from the SS position. Kelsey burned him for KC's game-winning TD in the Nov game and the secondary played its best games when he was inactive.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        I wonder how cap space they could create trading Derwin James and what they could get for him. I think they overpaid Derwin with the contract they gave him last year. I think he's a liability in coverage and he's not a great run defender from the SS position. Kelsey burned him for KC's game-winning TD in the Nov game and the secondary played its best games when he was inactive.
        Actually, I like Derwin better at FS than SS...either use him at FS or move him up for blitzing, but I agree he seems to get burned a lot in coverage as a SS...

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Figured. Let’s see who they sign. Pip and Tranq?

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2021
            • Send PM

This tells me Mack is gone after this year and probably Keenan as well. They will probably restructure Bosa and James next year. Depending on who the coach is next year, we’ll see if they tear down the massive contracts other than Herbert by trading Bosa and or James.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2019
              • Send PM

This tells me they’re not playing around this year and are really gonna try to put a good team on the field. I thought both Mack and Keenan could be gone this year. Kinda surprised Feiler hasn’t been cut if they release him they just might have enough room to bring back Pipkins, Tranquill, Van Noy & Callahan

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
                Just a few short day ago the Chargers restructured a pair of wide receivers contracts and now they restructure the contracts of a pair of their edge rushers. The Chargers created almost $26M in cap space by restructuring the contracts of edge rushers Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack. Jamie gives all the details on the contract restructure and breaks down where the Chargers stand now. After he breaks down all the numbers Jamie suggests some possible cuts that could still come before they need to be cap compliant prior to the March 17th deadline.

For reference: before these contract restructures, the Lightning Round Podcast broke down their estimates on possible restructures, cuts and extensions on a previous podcast and the numbers aligned with the actual moves made this week.

Not surprised all 4 guys (Bosa, Mack, Allen & Williams) got restructured. They obviously feel they're in 'win now' mode and Staley and Telecso have nothing to lose as they will be gone if they have a poor season in 2023 anyway. If the team doesn't do well next year there will be major changes next offseason, including coaching and even ownership if Dea gets her way.

Could Dean be attempting to dress up the franchise with a winning season next year to enhance his ability to get the most out of a sale in 2024? That would probably be a smart play on his part. The team coming off of a deep playoff run (or better), a spanking new state of the art training facility opening, and they'll still have a young franchise QB in Herbert - sounds good from a marketing standpoint (if they can win in 23).

Comment

• northerner
                  Charger fan since '79
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

to me, all of this restructuring is a big deal. much better than trying to cut any of these guys. if the 4 big money guys (mack, bosa, MW, KA) can stay relatively healthy, that will be huge. also, before the negative posters jump in - anyone, and i mean ANYONE, can get hurt in the NFL, we just need to have some injury luck to help us out. if these 4 guys can stay on the field, that is a lot of firepower on offense and defense with these four guys. plus, the fact all 4 of them restructured give us a lot more $$$ to retool the rest of the team. big win for Telesco and the Chargers in my eyes.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

After these restructures, I think they resign Pip, bring in a speedy WR and sign depth at edge. For WR, say a Nelson Algholor, Parris Campbell or Darius Slayton. I think Campbell would be the cheapest because of his injury history but he did play 17 games last year. But all those guys have wheels. I would’ve mind going into the season with.

Allen
                    MW
                    Palmer
                    P. Campbell or Slayton or Algholor (I’d prefer Slayton)
                    Marvin Mims Jr.(Rookie)

As far as Edge depth they can go after players like Dante Fowler Jr., DeMarcus Walker or maybe Leonard Floyd comes aboard cheap. It would be great to have a depth piece like Floyd for a year or 2. This would look great for depth.

Bosa
                    Mack
                    Floyd
                    Rumph
                    Andre Carter II(Rookie)

Comment

• Wrbanwal
                      FUdean
                      • Dec 2022
                      • Send PM

Mack hasn’t been the same player since he played for the Raiders. Bozo well what needs to be said about him. Williams and Allen just can’t seem to stay on the field.

good that they restructured but they are still paying a hella lot of money for average production.

and Dean, well that whole family needs to get out of the football business. They’ll make a bundle when they sell but they sure as shiit don’t give a damn about the fans.

rant over.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Why stop there? The following moves wouldn’t create too much disruption on the roster and they would clear another 32mil…

cut fieler and hopkins clears 8mil

extend by two years ekeler and davis clears 8mil

restructure linsley and SJD clears 10mil

extend by one year gerald everette and austin johnson clears 6mil

the chargers are currently 19.7mil under the cap, but if they make these moves, that number goes to 51.7mil under the cap…​

so why not keep going?
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

Working...
                        X