Clear All
  • La Costa Boy
    Pretty much retired......
    • Sep 2018
    • JoJa
    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
    Why stop there? The following moves wouldn’t create too much disruption on the roster and they would clear another 32mil…

cut fieler and hopkins clears 8mil

extend by two years ekeler and davis clears 8mil

restructure linsley and SJD clears 10mil

extend by one year gerald everette and austin johnson clears 6mil

the chargers are currently 19.7mil under the cap, but if they make these moves, that number goes to 51.7mil under the cap…​

so why not keep going?
    Maybe because the can they are kicking becomes larger and heavier to kick??? I know nothing about theses restructure deals but to keep moving money to future seasons will eventually become a cross to bear, right???

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
      This tells me they’re not playing around this year and are really gonna try to put a good team on the field. I thought both Mack and Keenan could be gone this year. Kinda surprised Feiler hasn’t been cut if they release him they just might have enough room to bring back Pipkins, Tranquill, Van Noy & Callahan
      My guess on Feiler is why release him until you have a replacement. Which nmakes sense

I could care less if Tranq Van Noy or Callahan are back - truly. The defense was terrible and they were part of the defense. Upgrades are needed. Just getting Bosa healthy is not enough

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

Maybe because the can they are kicking becomes larger and heavier to kick??? I know nothing about theses restructure deals but to keep moving money to future seasons will eventually become a cross to bear, right???
        Exactly - kicking money is not a sound strategy. I personally think they went overboard and should have moved on from one of three players. It doesn't make sense to move money on Linsley or JCJackson because of possible injury concerns

As for Ekeler - I think I would just let him play out this year
        Vato - I can see extending but thats for performance not cap space

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Why stop there? The following moves wouldn’t create too much disruption on the roster and they would clear another 32mil…

cut fieler and hopkins clears 8mil

extend by two years ekeler and davis clears 8mil

restructure linsley and SJD clears 10mil

extend by one year gerald everette and austin johnson clears 6mil

the chargers are currently 19.7mil under the cap, but if they make these moves, that number goes to 51.7mil under the cap…​

so why not keep going?
          Have you look how much they are truly under the cap next year before signing Herbert. Its at least 10m
          So you want to get too 40m under the cap before signing Herbert - not a sound strategy at all
          and if you extend too many playrs - you are tied to them

Thats Saints like cap management

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Have you look how much they are truly under the cap next year before signing Herbert. Its at least 10m
            So you want to get too 40m under the cap before signing Herbert - not a sound strategy at all
            and if you extend too many playrs - you are tied to them

Thats Saints like cap management
            Guys, the reason that the chargers are doing these restructures, mike williams and bosa being the only exceptions, is because all these older players will be going into their last contract year in 2024…unlike the saints and the bucs they have not added voidable years, the saints still have sizable dead cap hits from players that haven’t even been on their roster for going on 2 years now…the chargers are going all in for 2023 but in 2024 they’ll be able to cut or trade lindsley, allen, mack, and bosa and create about 45mil in caps space next offseason, which puts them around 33mil in usable cap space for next year with most of the young core still signed thru 2025 and also with enough money to cover herbert’s 5th year option in 2024…

the moves that I’m suggesting are probably not needed if they don’t need the money for this year but it’d be nice to know that, everette, austin johnson, davis and ekeler weren’t scheduled to be free agents in 2024 with the already hard decisions that will be needed on lindsley, KA, Mack, and perhaps Bosa in the same offseason…losing 3-4 big time guys in one offseason is one thing, but losing an additional 3-4 key pieces would be the kind of turnover that would really hurt the teams ability to compete in 2024 and maybe even 2025…I don’t have enough faith in this FO to make up those losses in this upcoming draft and in the 2024 draft combined…
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
              This tells me theyre not playing around this year and are really gonna try to put a good team on the field. I thought both Mack and Keenan could be gone this year. Kinda surprised Feiler hasn’t been cut if they release him they just might have enough room to bring back Pipkins, Tranquill, Van Noy & Callahan
              ^ This. Bolts realize there's a real tight window--having Bosa, Mack, Derwin, Slayer, Mike Will, Ekkie and Herbie all together could end in a year or two, so I think this is the SB or bust year...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

^ This. Bolts realize there's a real tight window--having Bosa, Mack, Derwin, Slayer, Mike Will, Ekkie and Herbie all together could end in a year or two, so I think this is the SB or bust year...
                Its pretty obvious Telesco and Staley have warm fannies so this is their decision - push some chips in. IF it works, they can figure out the cap next year. If it doesn't -- new GM will come in and clean house.

I truly hope its the former. Just because I disagree with it , I actually want it to work and hope Telesco and Staley are lifting the Lombardi - at worst the AFC trophy

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Guys, the reason that the chargers are doing these restructures, mike williams and bosa being the only exceptions, is because all these older players will be going into their last contract year in 2024…unlike the saints and the bucs they have not added voidable years, the saints still have sizable dead cap hits from players that haven’t even been on their roster for going on 2 years now…the chargers are going all in for 2023 but in 2024 they’ll be able to cut or trade lindsley, allen, mack, and bosa and create about 45mil in caps space next offseason, which puts them around 33mil in usable cap space for next year with most of the young core still signed thru 2025 and also with enough money to cover herbert’s 5th year option in 2024…

the moves that I’m suggesting are probably not needed if they don’t need the money for this year but it’d be nice to know that, everette, austin johnson, davis and ekeler weren’t scheduled to be free agents in 2024 with the already hard decisions that will be needed on lindsley, KA, Mack, and perhaps Bosa in the same offseason…losing 3-4 big time guys in one offseason is one thing, but losing an additional 3-4 key pieces would be the kind of turnover that would really hurt the teams ability to compete in 2024 and maybe even 2025…I don’t have enough faith in this FO to make up those losses in this upcoming draft and in the 2024 draft combined…
                  Just have to hope Telesco and Staley do a good job of player evaluation. Otherwise - this thing could so sideways in a year or two and Herbert will be Rivers all over again.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

There are restructures that can cripple a teams cap for 2-3 years into the future, those type of deals use voidable years which artificially create cap space beyond the length of the original contract…to be clear, that is NOT what the chargers have been doing…teams like the rams, bucs, and saints have done this so much that if they stopped doing it they wouldn’t be able to field a team for one season and then it would still take them an additional year or two to be be completely clear of dead money the way that the chargers are right now…

what the chargers have been doing is creating cap space on large contracts on older players that have less than two years left, by the end of the 2023 season most of those guys will be entering their final contract years and what that means is that the chargers could quickly bounce back cap wise by 2025 after carrying a lot of dead cap money for 2024…keep in mind that none of what they are doing right now is going to prevent them from keeping herbert and it wouldn’t surprise me if herbert was involved in these decisions…I imagine the conversation went something like this, we want to extend you and you earned it but we have to move these guys in 2023 or if we can hold off on your extension we can run this back one more year and then deal with the consequences in 2024…herbert wants a ring so it wouldn’t surprise me if he told them he’d rather wait on his extension and try to run it back with this current team first and then deal with a moderate rebuild afterword…

these are speculations based on the approach they have taken in the last two offseasons but also taking into account to how the chargers have traditionally conducted their cap…I don’t see the chargers doing this again in the 2024 offseason because that would put them in a really bad situation for 2-3 of herbert’s prime years in the NFL…
                    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

There are restructures that can cripple a teams cap for 2-3 years into the future, those type of deals use voidable years which artificially create cap space beyond the length of the original contract…to be clear, that is NOT what the chargers have been doing…teams like the rams, bucs, and saints have done this so much that if they stopped doing it they wouldn’t be able to field a team for one season and then it would still take them an additional year or two to be be completely clear of dead money the way that the chargers are right now…

what the chargers have been doing is creating cap space on large contracts on older players that have less than two years left, by the end of the 2023 season most of those guys will be entering their final contract years and what that means is that the chargers could quickly bounce back cap wise by 2025 after carrying a lot of dead cap money for 2024…keep in mind that none of what they are doing right now is going to prevent them from keeping herbert and it wouldn’t surprise me if herbert was involved in these decisions…I imagine the conversation went something like this, we want to extend you and you earned it but we have to move these guys in 2023 or if we can hold off on your extension we can run this back one more year and then deal with the consequences in 2024…herbert wants a ring so it wouldn’t surprise me if he told them he’d rather wait on his extension and try to run it back with this current team first and then deal with a moderate rebuild afterword…

these are speculations based on the approach they have taken in the last two offseasons but also taking into account to how the chargers have traditionally conducted their cap…I don’t see the chargers doing this again in the 2024 offseason because that would put them in a really bad situation for 2-3 of herbert’s prime years in the NFL…
                      I truly hope it works out and they have to maneuver the cap one more year like the Bucs and Rams did as they won the Super Bowl!.

If not - there will be some possible mid season trades and Telesco will not be employed by the Chargers

Comment

• northerner
                        Charger fan since '79
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I view this a little differently - I think it makes the most sense to go with these guys for 2023. after 2023, the 4 expensive guys (mack, bosa, MW, KA) will have shown what they have left / if they can stay healthy. however, i think the chargers will be in much better shape from a cap perspective to cut any of the 4 after 2023 (i am not sure how the restructured deals may have changed that).

if they do move on from some of the big 4 salary guys after 2023, they will have the money saved to use for replacements (possibly younger upgrades), so i don't see the big 4 salary guys as a window - all 4 of them probably delivered LESS in production than what they were paid in 2022 (a lot less!). most of the lack of production was due to injuries (except for mack), but that was still the reality. in fact, it is better that it was due to injuries, rather than clearly being over the hill, which would give us no hope for 2023 in them.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

If not - there will be some possible mid season trades and Telesco will not be employed by the Chargers
                          When does TT make any moves during the season? It's one of the reasons why teams under him have not won a division title and continually be mediocre. If the team does make moves mid-season, Staley will most likely be the one who pushed for it. Who doesn't get enough respect despite the things he is doing to try to improve the team.

Comment

Working...
                          X