• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

I am guessing a trade won't happen because of his contract demands. We won't have long to find out...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      I am guessing a trade won't happen because of his contract demands. We won't have long to find out...
      I can see a team like the Bengals maybe wanting a guy like Ekeler.

I saw a mock with the Chargers moving up to the Jets at 15 for Bijan - - and Ekeler + 21 for 15 made sense. And who knows, with A-A-Ron and the Jets window, they might want Austin. I am not sure I would even want to use Ekeler to get Bijan but better than draft picks.

Comment

• Air Coryell
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2021
        • Carlsbad, CA
        • Teacher, Coach, CFO
        • Send PM

If the chargers pick a RB in the 1st 2 rounds, EK will be released.

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
          What a waste that would be. I can't believe a guy like Ekeler isn't worthy of a draft pick. Even 4th-rounder is better than nothing.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
            Only if he makes that way. Even if we somehow get Bijan, there's a spot for Ekeler on this team. If he doesn't get traded he will have a reduced role that will make him unhappy with us, but he'll just have to get over it if he wants to earn a good contract with the next team he plays for. I imagine he learned something from Melvin Gordon's stupidity in 2019.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I actually think you might be right and I am good with it. I don't think they should extend him. I don't want an unhappy Ekeler in training camp - get the draft pick and cap space today
              The only options right now are make the player happy or trade him, since they are not going to give him what he wants the best thing is to part ways rather than have a festering situation all season long…
              "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

The only options right now are make the player happy or trade him, since they are not going to give him what he wants the best thing is to part ways rather than have a festering situation all season long…
                Ditto, plus there are a ton of backs in this draft. But then we do have Telesco and so far his staff can't pick decent backs if their life depended on it.
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

No, the third option (most likely in my opinion) is that nobody wants to pay him his $12 million or whatever he wants and give up a draft pick so he returns to the team and plays out his contract. Not sure why you assume he will be unprofessional about it.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                    We Are The Storm!
                    • Aug 2018
                    • Send PM

Think players don't talk shit in the locker room or in practice?Breeding decention amongst the ranks can be a bad scene.Eke seems like a solid dude but he has already said shit in the media that I'm sure management is not really thrilled about.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                      Think players don't talk shit in the locker room or in practice?Breeding decention amongst the ranks can be a bad scene.Eke seems like a solid dude but he has already said shit in the media that I'm sure management is not really thrilled about.
                      I would take a deal like Ek/5 for a 3rd. I have no delusions of grandeur he is going to 1) get a Day 2 pick straight up 2) he is going to fetch a magical 3rd round comp pick in two years

Hence, I think like you said, do you want any negativity in the locker room - so trade him

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

No, the third option (most likely in my opinion) is that nobody wants to pay him his $12 million or whatever he wants and give up a draft pick so he returns to the team and plays out his contract. Not sure why you assume he will be unprofessional about it.
                        I agree with this. I'm not worried about Ekeler causing problems if he remains with us one final season. I think he'll undoubtedly be unhappy about not receiving the contract he wants, and I'm sure he'll share that with his teammates, but I don't think he'll get to the point where he'll hurt the team with a poor attitude.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I agree with this. I'm not worried about Ekeler causing problems if he remains with us one final season. I think he'll undoubtedly be unhappy about not receiving the contract he wants, and I'm sure he'll share that with his teammates, but I don't think he'll get to the point where he'll hurt the team with a poor attitude.
                          For a team that committed so much to winning this year - I do not feel they can take that risk.

Comment

Working...
                          X