• QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

You clearly need to rewatch that play !
    I just re-watched it...twice. Nothing 'flukey' about it at all. The CB was in the right spot at the right time. INT...TD. Bad throw by Herbie; bad route by Everett. The ball didn't bounce off someone's hands or otherwise go where it wasn't thrown. Right into the waiting arms of the defender.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Exactly. When *was* the last time they made a game-changing play against a superior foe? Great question. See also my response to Lefty, above, for more about 'flukey' plays.
      Mike Williams made several "game-changing plays" against the Chiefs in Week 2.
      The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Joshua Palmer made several "game-changing plays" against the Chiefs in Week 11.
      The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

But in reality, NFL games are lost/won because of a lot of different plays, together in aggregate... a death by 1000 cuts kind of thing. Not curses... not winning cultures... not single 4th-and-2 calls. Most of you want the simplified explanation fed to you by commentators. You want to sound smart at cocktail-hour... or want to impress colleagues at work... or [fill in the blank]. But rarely do you make that impression on people who know the game better than that... people who have played the game... or coached the game. This over-simplified, commentator's regurgitation is what makes the Game Day Thread so untenable. Pair that with the cherry-picking, every-play-is-a-mistake mentality... ignore any properly executed plays... and most of us just tune you out... or laugh. It's entertaining... but not something we take seriously.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

I just re-watched it...twice. Nothing 'flukey' about it at all. The CB was in the right spot at the right time. INT...TD. Bad throw by Herbie; bad route by Everett. The ball didn't bounce off someone's hands or otherwise go where it wasn't thrown. Right into the waiting arms of the defender.
        Herbert throws one every 12-13 games makes it highly unusual.https://www.pro-football-reference.c...six_active.htm

Comment

• Maniaque 6
          French Speaking Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Québec city
          • Send PM

That's not flukey ? The 7th round KC's CB had nothing to do except waiting for the ball and running.
          In comparison, on the first Chargers INT at JAX, J. Bosa had to touch the ball and D Tranquill had to react quickly.
          What is the most flukey play ?

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

That's not flukey ? The 7th round KC's CB had nothing to do except waiting for the ball and running.
            In comparison, on the first Chargers INT at JAX, J. Bosa had to touch the ball and D Tranquill had to react quickly.

We don't get to talk about those plays... we barely remember them. When we do... we're polly-annas.

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

No, not at all. It was a bad throw. How is that a "fluke"? LOL! Herbie doesn't make bad throws? The guy caught the ball and made a nice run for the TD. Game-changing play. KC made it; we didn't. Result: Our usual loss to the Chiefs.

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

But in reality, NFL games are lost/won because of a lot of different plays, together in aggregate... a death by 1000 cuts kind of thing. Not curses... not winning cultures... not single 4th-and-2 calls. Most of you want the simplified explanation fed to you by commentators. You want to sound smart at cocktail-hour... or want to impress colleagues at work... or [fill in the blank]. But rarely do you make that impression on people who know the game better than that... people who have played the game... or coached the game. This over-simplified, commentator's regurgitation is what makes the Game Day Thread so untenable. Pair that with the cherry-picking, every-play-is-a-mistake mentality... ignore any properly executed plays... and most of us just tune you out... or laugh. It's entertaining... but not something we take seriously.
                LOL! You respond to almost every one of my posts. Not sure what your definition of "tuning out" is. Seems just as accurate as your definition of "winning football culture". And here we go again: Someone has to have "played the game", or "coached a game" to make comments that may have merit (despite what you think). Like our opinions have to have a resume now. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't make YOU an expert, either. Get over your pompous self. Love it when the Pollyannas start the personal attacks when they can't respond in kind. You know: Shitty way to live; mental problems; not qualified to comment; blah, blah, blah. You're quite the hypocrite, aren't you?

P.S. "Game changing play", according to my definition, means the play was instrumental in a WIN, not a LOSS. Cherry picking, indeed.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

Actually Boltnut I'm going to disagree with the bolded part somewhat. There is truth in what you say - all plays are important, but the difference between good and average teams is the ability to make plays (or drives) when it matters - when the game's on the line. Kelcey & Mahomes always seem to kill us in crunch time. We can play well against KC for a quarter, a half, even 3 quarters of a game but in the end they make the (few) critical plays necessary to come out on top on the scoreboard.

IMO - if we want to consistently beat KC (or any good team) we need to;

1. Outscore them significantly - put the game completely out of reach, or
                  2. Improve the defense to the point that they can be trusted to stop the other team in crunch time

Preferable BOTH

IMO we have a chance to do #1 next year, if all goes according to plan and Moore kills it. I don't think we'll have the defense to achieve #2, so we better be outstanding on the offensive side of the ball.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Actually Boltnut I'm going to disagree with the bolded part somewhat. There is truth in what you say - all plays are important, but the difference between good and average teams is the ability to make plays (or drives) when it matters - when the game's on the line. Kelcey & Mahomes always seem to kill us in crunch time. We can play well against KC for a quarter, a half, even 3 quarters of a game but in the end they make the (few) critical plays necessary to come out on top on the scoreboard.

IMO - if we want to consistently beat KC (or any good team) we need to;

1. Outscore them significantly - put the game completely out of reach, or
                    2. Improve the defense to the point that they can be trusted to stop the other team in crunch time

Preferable BOTH

IMO we have a chance to do #1 next year, if all goes according to plan and Moore kills it. I don't think we'll have the defense to achieve #2, so we better be outstanding on the offensive side of the ball.
                    Is 27-0 out of reach?

Sorry couldnt resist. No lead is safe with the Chargers. Still tastes bitter.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Is 27-0 out of reach?

Sorry couldnt resist. No lead is safe with the Chargers. Still tastes bitter.
                      Don't get me riled up (again) . . . . . it's been a beautiful day - why you gotta go and bring this up???

And - apparently a 27 point lead is NOT significant enough - let's think in terms of 40 +. Maybe then we could relax . . . . .

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Yet, they barely got by us again in Week 11... with numerous players out... Slater, Bosa, MW, Austin Johnson.
                        Imagine if the Chiefs were missing significant players... Kelce, OBJ, Chris Jones.
                        Oh wait, we don't have to imagine... just re-watch SBLV. They got trounced by TB... 31-9.
                        So you are saying that the Chargers improved during the season and the Chief's regressed?

I must have imagined that the Chief's beat Jacksonville despite their best player suffering a high ankle sprain in the 1rst half.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

LOL! You respond to almost every one of my posts. Not sure what your definition of "tuning out" is. Seems just as accurate as your definition of "winning football culture". And here we go again: Someone has to have "played the game", or "coached a game" to make comments that may have merit (despite what you think). Like our opinions have to have a resume now. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't make YOU an expert, either. Get over your pompous self. Love it when the Pollyannas start the personal attacks when they can't respond in kind. You know: Shitty way to live; mental problems; not qualified to comment; blah, blah, blah. You're quite the hypocrite, aren't you?

P.S. "Game changing play", according to my definition, means the play was instrumental in a WIN, not a LOSS. Cherry picking, indeed.
                          Not during the Game Day Thread. I'd rather watch the game itself than listen to a bunch of know-nothing comments about a game you don't understand. It's the same reason I turn off the audio on the TV. I understand what's going on better than some person who spends exponentially less time studying the Chargers than I do. I damn well know why Tranquill was not retained. While commentators are oggling over the sack he got on a blitz... I've just watched him miss his gap assignment for the last 4 plays... and let every one of his team mates down. Commentators will exalt Drue for his green dot and assume some sort of leadership qualities. While I watch Khalil Mack quietly play his assignment consistently... and understand who others look to for leadership.

The game is nuanced... far greater than most understand. Certainly people who have never played the game don't understand those nuances as deeply as people who have played the game. I'm not trying to discredit you... or win an argument. I'm just sharing what I know... and informing you how little your opinions actually influence some of us.

There are many "game-changing plays" each and every game. If you stack enough of them together, you win the game. The Jags game is a perfect example of this. You may laugh that the coaching (specifically the OC play-calling) lost us that game. I even understand the reasoning behind it. But ultimately, it was the inflexibility of Joe Lombardi that changed the whole momentum of that game. It wasn't a curse... or football gods... or the owner (although I hate him)... It's an actual thing (momentum) that all who have played the game understand. The Chiefs capitalize on momentum all the time. You might find one particular play (within that 10 play drive)... but it was much more than that.

Comment

Working...
                          X