• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

So you are saying that the Chargers improved during the season and the Chief's regressed?

I must have imagined that the Chief's beat Jacksonville despite their best player suffering a high ankle sprain in the 1rst half.
    I stated many times that the Chargers were a very good team decimated by injuries... over and over again. Even when the Chargers were the #8 or #9 seed (with only 5 games left) that they would soon get healthy, go on a run, and end up the 5th or 6th seed (a conservative estimate in hindsight). I was ridiculed and called a pollyanna. I took no offense... I knew Math was on my side (along with remaining schedule of AFC teams in the running). The Chiefs remained healthy far beyond what most teams ever dream of. The Chiefs overcame an injury to Mahommes because they are a vastly better team than the Jaguars. It's the same reason we took a 27-0 lead on the Jaguars... we're vastly better (even without MW and Michael Davis). The turning point in that game had nothing to do with talent. That game was lost with play-calling. It was a coaching problem. One got himself fired... the other will hopefully learn and get better.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I stated many times that the Chargers were a very good team decimated by injuries... over and over again. Even when the Chargers were the #8 or #9 seed (with only 5 games left) that they would soon get healthy, go on a run, and end up the 5th or 6th seed (a conservative estimate in hindsight). I was ridiculed and called a pollyanna. I took no offense... I knew Math was on my side (along with remaining schedule of AFC teams in the running). The Chiefs remained healthy far beyond what most teams ever dream of. The Chiefs overcame an injury to Mahommes because they are a vastly better team than the Jaguars. It's the same reason we took a 27-0 lead on the Jaguars... we're vastly better (even without MW and Michael Davis). The turning point in that game had nothing to do with talent. That game was lost with play-calling. It was a coaching problem. One got himself fired... the other will hopefully learn and get better.
      Agree completely, but wasn't just the offensive coaches . . . . . where was the defense in the 2nd half?? And please don't sell me the 'Davis got hurt' line, the loss of one guy should not lead to the collapse of that entire side of the ball, unless the defensive coaching staff was off in lala land . . . . . .

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

I'd rather watch the game itself than listen to a bunch of know-nothing comments about a game you don't understand.

The game is nuanced... far greater than most understand. Certainly people who have never played the game don't understand those nuances as deeply as people who have played the game. I'm not trying to discredit you... or win an argument. I'm just sharing what I know... and informing you how little your opinions actually influence some of us.
        Didn't realize we were in the presence of football-knowledge royalty. Guess we're all just not worthy next to your obviously superior knowledge of the 'nuances' of the game. Too bad there isn't a 'bow-down-to-Boltnut' emoji. I bet it would get a lot of use.

My opinions are just that, opinions. Like I've said 1000 times. They aren't advanced to influence anyone; least of all know-it-alls like you. I couldn't give a shit if you read any of my posts. But it's good to see that I've gotten under an 'expert's' skin.

Truth is, I'm just some stupid Charger fan, watching a perennially under-performing team year in and year out, operating with an obviously unsuccessful business model, expecting different results using the same methods. At least I don't pull the pompous ass card on the board. You should be proud of yourself for that. Here's a newsflash for ya: Your posts don't belie any evidence of superior knowledge of the game more than anyone else who posts here, myself included. You're just a Pollyanna who THINKS he's better than everyone else. Keep knocking yourself out, Superstar. LOL!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

I'll take the over... Smokey will take the under... Maybe an avatar bet is in order...?
          I want some of that over with you …
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Didn't realize we were in the presence of football-knowledge royalty. Guess we're all just not worthy next to your obviously superior knowledge of the 'nuances' of the game. Too bad there isn't a 'bow-down-to-Boltnut' emoji. I bet it would get a lot of use.

My opinions are just that, opinions. Like I've said 1000 times. They aren't advanced to influence anyone; least of all know-it-alls like you. I couldn't give a shit if you read any of my posts. But it's good to see that I've gotten under an 'expert's' skin.

Truth is, I'm just some stupid Charger fan, watching a perennially under-performing team year in and year out, operating with an obviously unsuccessful business model, expecting different results using the same methods. At least I don't pull the pompous ass card on the board. You should be proud of yourself for that. Here's a newsflash for ya: Your posts don't belie any evidence of superior knowledge of the game more than anyone else who posts here, myself included. You're just a Pollyanna who THINKS he's better than everyone else. Keep knocking yourself out, Superstar. LOL!
            Smoke is such a sweet guy. Wish i could hug him
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

It's the same reason we took a 27-0 lead on the Jaguars... we're vastly better (even without MW and Michael Davis). The turning point in that game had nothing to do with talent. That game was lost with play-calling. It was a coaching problem. One got himself fired... the other will hopefully learn and get better.
              I don’t think you can say we’re “vastly better” than the Jags after what they did to us last season, game 3 and playoffs

we certainly were outcoached both games
              Last edited by jamrock; 04-08-2023, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Smoke is such a sweet guy. Wish i could hug him
                Smoke blowing smoke... but can't bring himself to make that avatar bet... classic money talks, bullshit walks.
                I'd be offended by his post... if I took anything he said seriously.
                But I don't.

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I don’t think you can say we’re “vastly better” than the Jags after what they did to us last season, game 3 and playoffs

we certainly were outcoached both games
                  Somebody forgot to tell Lombardi that the second half of the game started after halftime show!
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Somebody forgot to tell Lombardi that the second half of the game started after halftime show!
                    They couldn't run the ball effectively... they didn't try to enough, IMO.
                    Incomplete passes stopped the clock too often.

On defense, they went into prevent... and let the Jags matriculate the ball down field.

Offense and defense collapsed... and the play-calling was terrible.
                    And the players didn't execute... especially the run blocking.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

They couldn't run the ball effectively... they didn't try to enough, IMO.
                      Incomplete passes stopped the clock too often.

On defense, they went into prevent... and let the Jags matriculate the ball down field.

Offense and defense collapsed... and the play-calling was terrible.
                      And the players didn't execute... especially the run blocking.
                      That was the worst part. Everything else being equal, runs for no gain keep the clock moving. #1 rule: Don't stop the clock! We had a huge lead. Find easy completions or run, period!

Comment

• QSmokey
                        Guardedly Optimistic
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kuna, Idaho
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

We certainly were outcoached both games
                        Why is this not obvious to everyone? Only a Pollyanna would say we were 'vastly better' than the Jags when we LOST two games to them. One by 4 TDs; the other by blowing an (almost) 4 TD lead. Vastly better my ass. Just like we're better than the Chiefs. LOL!

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Why is this not obvious to everyone? Only a Pollyanna would say we were 'vastly better' than the Jags when we LOST two games to them. One by 4 TDs; the other by blowing an (almost) 4 TD lead. Vastly better my ass. Just like we're better than the Chiefs. LOL!
                          This is where my 'common sense' reference comes into play. Everyone is welcome to present things that they think support their position and try to talk us around to their point of view, just don't be ridiculous about it . . . . .

We were clearly not 'vastly better' than the Jags . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                          X