Welcome DL Tuli Tuipulotu, USC (Round 2 #54)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

??? We can't believe anything we read.
    Remember this from two years ago? Then he was cut a few weeks later.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
      Clowney just visited Baltimore
      they have 2 young athletic passrushers and looking to add a vet.
      Clowney is also rumored to sign with KC.
      While not a great passrusher, he's disruptive to the OL
      And sets a great edge which is premium for us.
      I think we should consider him
      Rumph still eligible for practice squad I believe, I doubt anyone poaches him.
      Clowney and Tuli rotating in with Bosa and Mack makes sense to me.
      Sure. Grab him. Nice depth with low expectations.

by the way, who’s subbing for Kendricks? Nieman? Amen?

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Sure. Grab him. Nice depth with low expectations.

by the way, who’s subbing for Kendricks? Nieman? Amen?
        Anything left though? I'd rather go back to VanNoy personally . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Anything left though? I'd rather go back to VanNoy personally . . . . . . . . . .
          I wanted him back from the jump. Chargers didn’t. If you’re committed to changing the culture as Staley says, Van Noy is a guy with value beyond the field

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I wanted him back from the jump. Chargers didn’t. If you’re committed to changing the culture as Staley says, Van Noy is a guy with value beyond the field
            That's the way I see it . . . . . . . . . . even if they're equal athletically KVN has shown leadership with this group, plus a year under his belt in the defensive scheme. Either way I'd prefer that they add a veteran edge rusher. Don't want to have to count on Rumph or a rookie . . . . . . . . . no matter how fluffed up he gets

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
              Clowney just visited Baltimore
              they have 2 young athletic passrushers and looking to add a vet.
              Clowney is also rumored to sign with KC.
              While not a great passrusher, he's disruptive to the OL
              And sets a great edge which is premium for us.
              I think we should consider him
              Rumph still eligible for practice squad I believe, I doubt anyone poaches him.
              Clowney and Tuli rotating in with Bosa and Mack makes sense to me.
              Rumph is going to take another step forward this year, Clowney is on the decline and has a career record of consistently not giving any team 100%. I don’t trust in Clowney. Don’t mean to discourage, keep looking for talent options
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Rumph is going to take another step forward this year, Clowney is on the decline and has a career record of consistently not giving any team 100%. I don’t trust in Clowney. Don’t mean to discourage, keep looking for talent options
                Not nearly as confident Rumph takes a step forward as you are - though it's hard to take a step bad. Clowney never lived up to the hype (probably because of the non-stop injuries) but he is head and shoulders better than Rumph.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Not nearly as confident Rumph takes a step forward as you are - though it's hard to take a step bad. Clowney never lived up to the hype (probably because of the non-stop injuries) but he is head and shoulders better than Rumph.
                  He was head and shoulder better, past Clowney and past Rumph. We don't know about 2023 yet. Rumph was physically unprepared for his role at the NFL level coming out of college, its not illogical he needed more development than other players might. We will see, for sure.

That speaks to draft acumen - I don't know its smart to select players you can see are not close to ready for NFL in the hope that the special trait you see in them is worth the investment it will take to develop an overall NFL player ... Woods comes to mind now.

Era of FA and Caps means more than ever its a Not For Long league, 3 and 4 year development horizons are unwise imo. But we are where we are - TT's 2023 draft seem to be much less in need of extended fundamental physical/athletic development - DD is the one outlier but the others seem to be athletically close to what is needed on day 1.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    BetterToday ThanYesterday
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Van Noy is the anti-Clowney. A positive, team first, total buy in player who plays hard every snap but has physical limitations that are increasing as he gets older. Clowney is a club house malcontent who takes plays off, misses time with minor injuries and has freakish, once in a lifetime physical ability that he has never really fully used.

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

He was head and shoulder better, past Clowney and past Rumph. We don't know about 2023 yet. Rumph was physically unprepared for his role at the NFL level coming out of college, its not illogical he needed more development than other players might. We will see, for sure.

That speaks to draft acumen - I don't know its smart to select players you can see are not close to ready for NFL in the hope that the special trait you see in them is worth the investment it will take to develop an overall NFL player ... Woods comes to mind now.

Era of FA and Caps means more than ever its a Not For Long league, 3 and 4 year development horizons are unwise imo. But we are where we are - TT's 2023 draft seem to be much less in need of extended fundamental physical/athletic development - DD is the one outlier but the others seem to be athletically close to what is needed on day 1.
                      We all knew Rumph was a work in progress and I expected little his first year. My issue is more after hearing how he put on weight and was ready to take the next step last year, I saw nothing out of him. He got a lot of playing time with Bosa's injury and the reality is he is a guy with 3 sacks and 9 QB hits in 32 games played and remains a liability in the run game. I'm not a Clowney fan and don't know how much he has left. Since Rumph is a Charger and Clowney isn't all we can do is hope the light goes on in his 3rd year. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does.

Agree with your assessment about project players in the last draft.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

We all knew Rumph was a work in progress and I expected little his first year. My issue is more after hearing how he put on weight and was ready to take the next step last year, I saw nothing out of him. He got a lot of playing time with Bosa's injury and the reality is he is a guy with 3 sacks and 9 QB hits in 32 games played and remains a liability in the run game. I'm not a Clowney fan and don't know how much he has left. Since Rumph is a Charger and Clowney isn't all we can do is hope the light goes on in his 3rd year. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does.

Agree with your assessment about project players in the last draft.
                        Rumph last year isnt nearly good enough, 100% agree. He had 2 sacks last year, I wouldn't count his first year.

Clowney got 2 sacks last year. He has 11 in the last 3 years, or 3.7 sacks per year. The question for 2023 is who will get better and who will stay the same or get worse.

I'm just not a Clowney fan, maybe i'm biased. I don't know how many games he played last year, but if he didn't play many games that s just a different reason to be worried about signing him.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

It could just as easily all come together for Rumph in '23.
                          He does have eplosive pass rush capability.
                          Finishing is what's needed.
                          There have been near misses and QB hurries.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X