• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Did any UDFA a make our initial roster last year? I look at our roster and think it will be tough for any UDFA to make. We have fairly decent depth on this team.

Maybe Clark at NT makes it if our DL guys don’t make it back from IR to start the season. Or a S if Woods is not physically ready to play.

Yes, we have a good team. our depth looks pretty solid too.
    Agree, I don't really care about any of the UDFAs we brought in. If one or two make the team, then cool. If Clark makes it, great but how much is he going to help this year? Barring injury, I'd expect not at all.
    If we do have injuries, we are in trouble.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Agree, I don't really care about any of the UDFAs we brought in. If one or two make the team, then cool. If Clark makes it, great but how much is he going to help this year? Barring injury, I'd expect not at all.
      Regards injuries, we;ll have some. Everybody does, incl SB winners.
      I think you're saying that our depth is inadequate. That's a definite maybe but there's no way of knowing.
      It'll depend in how many at one position go down.
      We have several UFDAs who play well for us. Not year 1, other than Dicker.
      I think our 2023 UDFAs are an above avg group and that several make practice squad..
      Regular season active roster is always a long shot for UDFAs but some make it.
      Ekeler, Mike Davis, Callahan, JCJ are examples.
      Rookie mini-camp this weekend may open some eyes.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Hopefully, the small school standouts they signed play well enough to make the practice squad. At this point-- for *most* of the UDFAs-- it's enough of a 'win' if a guy proves to be worthy of the opportunity to develop. Few of them will make the actual 53 man roster (or however many it is now), and even fewer will see the field for any game snaps other than special teams.

Anything beyond THAT is a bonus. Crimony, we'd be stoked if we got THAT much from a 6th or 7th round draft pick.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Hopefully, the small school standouts they signed play well enough to make the practice squad. At this point-- for *most* of the UDFAs-- it's enough of a 'win' if a guy proves to be worthy of the opportunity to develop. Few of them will make the actual 53 man roster (or however many it is now), and even fewer will see the field for any game snaps other than special teams.

Anything beyond THAT is a bonus. Crimony, we'd be stoked if we got THAT much from a 6th or 7th round draft pick.
          Agree, PS is a win when you’re not drafted
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

We WILL have injuries - every team does. Hopefully they're not as catastrophic as last year, and our coaching staff gets a clue . . . . . . .

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

We WILL have injuries - every team does. Hopefully they're not as catastrophic as last year, and our coaching staff gets a clue . . . . . . .
              What do you want them to do? No matter what the HC does people are going to find fault with something.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

What do you want them to do? No matter what the HC does people are going to find fault with something.
                I want the coaches to do the job they're (highly) paid for; prepare the entire team - starters AND backups, for the inevitable . . . . . . . they also need to be prepared to adjust as needed to MITIGATE the impact of a lost starter (or 2). I don't expect them to be able to REPLACE the starter's production, but they better have methods / scheme adjustments available to avoid a complete meltdown . . . . . . . . (Jville).

I expect our coaching staff to do their jobs. Why would I accept anything else??

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

I want the coaches to do the job they're (highly) paid for; prepare the entire team - starters AND backups, for the inevitable . . . . . . . they also need to be prepared to adjust as needed to MITIGATE the impact of a lost starter (or 2). I don't expect them to be able to REPLACE the starter's production, but they better have methods / scheme adjustments available to avoid a complete meltdown . . . . . . . . (Jville).

I expect our coaching staff to do their jobs. Why would I accept anything else??
                  Other than Staley and a few assistant coaches I don't think we had a bonified coaching staff. The biggest change this off season is an improved coaching staff and some depth on our roster.
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Other than Staley and a few assistant coaches I don't think we had a bonified coaching staff. The biggest change this off season is an improved coaching staff and some depth on our roster.
                    THIS . . . .

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Moore and QB coach Nussmeier are the real thing. Top offensive coaches.Nugent is decent at OL coach. The level of organization and coordination on O went up significantly. Promotions on D coaching has clearly raised enthusiasm and the ILB coach addition Jeff Howard has good creds, a top vet ILB and a quality rookie to work with.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Moore and QB coach Nussmeier are the real thing. Top offensive coaches.Nugent is decent at OL coach. The level of organization and coordination on O went up significantly. Promotions on D coaching has clearly raised enthusiasm and the ILB coach addition Jeff Howard has good creds, a top vet ILB and a quality rookie to work with.
                        I'm not concerned about the offense . . . . . . .

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

I'm not concerned about the offense . . . . . . .
                          I am. It's easier to win games when we score more points.
                          Last year LAC's #13 scoring offense averaged @ 23ppg.
                          We need to be closer to 30 or better.

Comment

Working...
                          X