• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    Benjamin did a good job of waving everyone else off, he just was a jackass for not getting away from it himself.

I just don't understand why he has been returning punts after week 1. Do we have some excess of WR that I don't know about? And we signed McCluster, who may not be a great offensive player, but is a decent return guy, and has the kind of speed you want to get the guy touches?
    McCluster has been awful returning kickoffs.

Comment

• vinabolt
      Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
      • Feb 2015
      • Send PM

I think the main reason that they let Benjamin returns is because of the home run potential. He made mistakes and is struggling so far but they're still hopeful.

I think a dangerous return game depends much more on the special team coaches, the scheme and the blocking much more than the returner himself.
      Last edited by vinabolt; 10-15-2016, 10:09 AM.
      Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by vinabolt View Post
        I think the main reason that they let Benjamin returns is because of the home run potential. He made mistakes and is struggling so far but they're still hopeful.

I think a good return game depends much more on the special team coaches, the scheme and the blocking much more than the returner himself.
        The fumble last week was all about Benjamin.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
          McCluster has been awful returning kickoffs.
          Actually, I think he would be OK if he would stop returning kicks a mile deep in the end zone. But even if he isn't, who else do we have that is any good?

Benjamin is a starting WR, so he is shouldn't be used. Whalen is no better than McCluster, and probably somewhat worse. I just don't see a better option on the roster..

If we are going to try and make a trade, I would rather we go for another TE who gives us somewhat of a run-pass option.

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

At this point, all I care about is if McCluster can cleanly field it without fumbling, know when to take a knee, and runs with gusto if he decides to run. If he can do that, it's a remarkable improvement over what we've had the past few years.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

How serious are the injuries? They had a couple of plays in the game plan specifically for him. The long pass he caught that got called back on Henry's pick in the 1st qtr. There was at least one other in the 3rd and longish where he got caught short by a shoestring tackle in the 3rd qtr.

If he is really hurt too bad, then we should just have him go back and just fair-catch the ball.

The point with Benjamin is two-fold. First, he is struggling with punt returns, even though he has done it before, and that is part of the reason we signed him. Second (and to me this is the more important part at this point), he is just too valuable to the offense to risk getting hurt. If any of the top 3 WR get hurt from here on out, we don't have any depth.
              IIRC, McCluster is getting over a bad hammy. I agree with not risking Benjamin on special teams, especially with his struggles fielding punts. Let him concentrate on receiver and not take any extra pounding.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Actually, I think he would be OK if he would stop returning kicks a mile deep in the end zone. But even if he isn't, who else do we have that is any good?

Benjamin is a starting WR, so he is shouldn't be used. Whalen is no better than McCluster, and probably somewhat worse. I just don't see a better option on the roster..

If we are going to try and make a trade, I would rather we go for another TE who gives us somewhat of a run-pass option.
                He isn't. Against the Raiders he ran one out from the 7 and only got to the, 25, and one from the 4 and didn't get to the 20. He is horrible. Who is better? I'd think anyone with decent speed who doesn't get arm tackled.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                  He isn't. Against the Raiders he ran one out from the 7 and only got to the, 25, and one from the 4 and didn't get to the 20. He is horrible. Who is better? I'd think anyone with decent speed who doesn't get arm tackled.
                  I don't think we have that guy.
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

When we get that new guy, let me know. And by the way, McCluster has great speed, so there is a lot more to it then just being fast. And you don't see too many big RB with speed returning kickoffs.

Until then I think McCluster is the best of some bad options. Similar to when Woodhead was returning them a couple of years ago. He is not a dynamic option, but he is a fast guy who if he is told not to return anything more than 3 or 4 yards into the endzone, is adequate.

At this point there is no one we can add who is going to be any good when can get to return kickoffs this year. We will have to wait till next year. Kickoff guys are not worth a ton anymore, because you just don't get enough chances. There are too many touchbacks, and not enough emphasis on ST guys on the rest of the roster. Even a great kick returner probably isn't going to run too many big kicks back, just because in any given game, they only get 1 or 2 chances to run ANY kicks back, instead of several returns per game, like in the past.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

If it goes into the endzone, just down it and take the 25 yards.
                      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                      sigpic

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Just goes to show you that we cut players who could do that job and can play in this league. Kerwin Williams and Fozzy are decent RBs who can return kicks and have played well as fill ins at RB. McCluster imo has zero value as a RB and very little as a kick returner. Decent value as a pass catcher out of the backfield
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 10-15-2016, 09:51 PM.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

When we get that new guy, let me know. And by the way, McCluster has great speed, so there is a lot more to it then just being fast. And you don't see too many big RB with speed returning kickoffs.

Until then I think McCluster is the best of some bad options. Similar to when Woodhead was returning them a couple of years ago. He is not a dynamic option, but he is a fast guy who if he is told not to return anything more than 3 or 4 yards into the endzone, is adequate.

At this point there is no one we can add who is going to be any good when can get to return kickoffs this year. We will have to wait till next year. Kickoff guys are not worth a ton anymore, because you just don't get enough chances. There are too many touchbacks, and not enough emphasis on ST guys on the rest of the roster. Even a great kick returner probably isn't going to run too many big kicks back, just because in any given game, they only get 1 or 2 chances to run ANY kicks back, instead of several returns per game, like in the past.
                          The only one I remember was the Burner Turner, and he was really good at it.

Comment

Working...
                          X