Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
    Just goes to show you that we cut players who could do that job and can play in this league. Kerwin Williams and Fozzy are decent RBs who can return kicks and have played well as fill ins at RB. McCluster imo has zero value as a RB and very little as a kick returner. Decent value as a pass catcher out of the backfield
    Why all the hate for McCluster? Did he date your sister or something? You're greatly exaggerating his football negatives.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

He has a point about Mccluster not being a great kickoff return guy. He never has been. He is more of an adequate guy.

But whoever we sign is going to have to do more than just return kicks. That player will have to be a backup WR or RB (or DB I suppose), and they will have to do something well.

McCluster has been fairly effective as a regular RB, although he hardly ever gets used that way. Check out his career stats in base personnel (12 and 21 groups). He is not anything more than average running the ball from 3 WR or more, and he is terrible at blitz pickups. He is not a very good 3rd down back, despite his speed and pass catching. He has played the slot WR spot, but is not that great a route runner, so he never amounted to much there.

McCluster is a fast guy who has some skills, but he does do some things well, and at this point of the season that is all you can get from the bottom of the NFL pool of potential players. Anyone who has a history of being a good return player is already signed, or is so bad at everything else then they aren't worth having on a roster.

McCluster is a good enough player because he can be a change of pace RB for Gordon, and used in the slot and backfield in situations when the other team isn't going to blitz and we know what coverages are coming, so that he can run his limited sets of routes. He made a big catch vs Denver, and he has had a couple that he almost broke for big gains. He is never going to be a 5-10 catch per game, or consistent game breaker, but if he was he would be already signed by someone else. McCluster can be a good backup who does just enough things well, and is just explosive enough to add something to our offense.

The fact that he can replace Benjamin who is our #1 WR is just gravy. But if we lose Benjamin now, our passing game is going to collapse like it did last year. Good offenses need at least 3 passable WR, which is what we are down to. Lose Benjamin, and the 3 WR sets are not even a realistic option. Not that it is a great option now, but it is off the board completely.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
        Why all the hate for McCluster? Did he date your sister or something? You're greatly exaggerating his football negatives.
        Nope, i just dont think he is that great and we could of got someone better. I dont hate him. He just is doing as i expected, which is next to nothing. Theres no exageratation there. He isnt that good a player and was on the street for a reason.
        Just because he returned a couple punts against us when we had horrible STs under Norv doesn't mean anything. His best value to us is as a reciever out of the backfield....which, he is mediocre. And he isnt a burner either. He ran a 4.55 at the combine. He is more quick which i guess is good because he doesn't break any tackles so making them miss is a must.
        If Gordon goes down and McCluster has to take over.....mark my words,we are fucked. Ill just hope Farrow is ready because McCluster cant be that guy.
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 10-16-2016, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

This time of year, with injuries mounting across the league, you think we can do better?

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

I havent scoured the league for RBs and returners but i do know Kerwin Williams recently cleared waivers and went back to AZ. He is a more effective player than McCluster....which i know isnt saying much but if you look around, you can find some. They just jumped on McCluster because of Whiz. Ive never been much of a McCluster fan.

There also is such thing as trades. I dont think Telesco has ever made one for a player, and we arent talking high round guys here.

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I havent scoured the league for RBs and returners but i do know Kerwin Williams recently cleared waivers and went back to AZ. He is a more effective player than McCluster....which i know isnt saying much but if you look around, you can find some. They just jumped on McCluster because of Whiz. Ive never been much of a McCluster fan.

There also is such thing as trades. I dont think Telesco has ever made one for a player, and we arent talking high round guys here.
              Trades for players are extremely rare, more the exception rather than the norm. Who should they trade for that would be worth the draft choices?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Like I said, I haven't scoured the league to see. Trades are rare but they happen.
                Last edited by Boltjolt; 10-16-2016, 02:24 PM.

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Like I said, I haven't scored the league to see. Trades are rare but they happen.
                  They only really happen when a team (like the AJ era Chargers trading for McCardell or Chambers) is really close. This team is not even close to contending and giving up draft picks to get a KR/PR when McCluster is completely serviceable for this team (really, we're just asking for him to play smart and at least try to get yards when the opportunity comes) just isn't going to happen.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                    They only really happen when a team (like the AJ era Chargers trading for McCardell or Chambers) is really close. This team is not even close to contending and giving up draft picks to get a KR/PR when McCluster is completely serviceable for this team (really, we're just asking for him to play smart and at least try to get yards when the opportunity comes) just isn't going to happen.
                    Not always. SF traded for Jeremy Kerley and they aren't close. BTW, Kerley is returnig kicks for SF and is their leading WR. I just said a trade was an option. Not that they SHOULD make one.
                    Imo McCluster is less than servicable. Sorry, was just never high on him
                    Last edited by Boltjolt; 10-16-2016, 02:44 PM.

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Not always. SF traded for Jeremy Kerley and they aren't close. BTW, Kerley is returnig kicks for SF and is their leading WR. I just said a trade was an option. Not that they SHOULD make one.
                      Imo McCluster is less than servicable. Sorry, was just never high on him
                      That's because SF is stupid.

McCluster isn't the greatest acquisition the Chargers have made but one borne of desperation after two of their biggest offensive threats went down with injury. Bagging on McCluster just seems like we're fighting windmills.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Isn't it ironic,.....We had a trade today in the NFL. Kniles Davis going to Green Bay for a late round pick. Packers are currently 3-2 and not a player away. They just need a RB.
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 10-18-2016, 11:08 PM.

Comment

fender57
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Isn't it ironic,.....We had a trade today in the NFL. Kniles Davis going to Green Bay for a late round pick. Packers are currently 3-2 and not a player away. They just need a RB.
                          The Packers think they can contend, which is not an unreasonable thought. No real irony, it went down just as I described it. Teams who feel they can contend make trades. It's the exception, not the norm. No way the Chargers should be trading for a KR/PR like you want. McCluster is serviceable for this season.

Comment

Working...
                          X