• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BOLTtfUP
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Here are the highlights of KJ Hill. He was Ohio State's all time leading receiver. It looked like he was going to go undrafted in 2020, but the Chargers took a flyer on him in the 7th round.

I saw his college highlights and thought this guy might be a sleeper, he looks awesome in this vid. Again, he was OSU's all time leading WR.

But he didn't have an NFL skill set and he only lasted a few lackluster seasons and is now out of the NFL.

Am I saying that Pokey is no better than KJ Hill? I'm saying we don't know yet, but you can't make an assessment just based on college highlights, because those highlights are against college talent. All 32 teams in the NFL passed on Pokey for seven rounds.

If Pokey does turn out to be a find, I'll be ecstatic. But I know from experience there is usually a reason when a player goes undrafted. I'm just saying let's temper our expectations of Mr. Pokey until he actually plays against NFL talent.

I see how you're trying to put together the comparisons but KJ Hill and Pokey Wilson are two different types of receivers. I remember the hype of KJ Hill but if you actually go and look at his tape, he was clearly overhyped and provided absolutely nothing after the catch. KJ Hill is a just "possession" receiver with limited route running skills. So tie that with his poor speed and you see why he's not in the NFL anymore.

Comment

• Fleet 1
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Kauai
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

My Welker reference was the Chargers picking him up then cutting him. It'd be nice to get a Welker redo.
      Figured it was more about the undrafted thing. Definitely didnt think you were comparing the 2 skill sets.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

And...the best we could do is ...Bandy...when all our receivers went down. All it takes is for two of our guys to get injured and you get your NFL shot. Any undrafted receiver should try to make the most of it when it comes.
        I agree - We are in much better shape 2023 for WR injury insurance than last year. I hope Pokey shows out and supplants one of the tomato cans we had on the PS last year. Odds of making the 53 are very low at this point but PS is a real opportunity.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
          I agree - We are in much better shape 2023 for WR injury insurance than last year. I hope Pokey shows out and supplants one of the tomato cans we had on the PS last year. Odds of making the 53 are very low at this point but PS is a real opportunity.
          This is my sentiment exactly. The WR depth chart is stacked. And Pokey is a very good developmental prospect they can have in reserve (hopefully) in case of injury. They didn't have a prospect like this on the PS last season. Lombardi neglected the WR position IMO. Moore seems to be making WR a priority, and when you have a QB like Herbert WR needs to be a priority. The former Pop Warner and high school WR approves.

My big concern, however, is if their intention is to keep Pokey on the PS, at some point they will have to cut him and hope he doesn't get picked up waivers.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

I dont think he will make the team but i like his YAC ability which ive said i think is more important. Who knows, he may make it tough for Guyton and Davis, though Davis will be the KR. However it goes down i like him better than Bandy, Moore, and Hightower on the PS for injuries.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

This is my sentiment exactly. The WR depth chart is stacked. And Pokey is a very good developmental prospect they can have in reserve (hopefully) in case of injury. They didn't have a prospect like this on the PS last season. Lombardi neglected the WR position IMO. Moore seems to be making WR a priority, and when you have a QB like Herbert WR needs to be a priority. The former Pop Warner and high school WR approves.

My big concern, however, is if their intention is to keep Pokey on the PS, at some point they will have to cut him and hope he doesn't get picked up waivers.
              Yup, it’s a risk but there’s probably no alternative. Two strategies they can try

1. Cut him on the day that the most teams make the most cuts, and he gets hidden in the stew.
              2. They put him on the original 53 and then cut him after all teams make their own final adjustments and think they have solidified their own rosters and then cut him to sign to the PS.

I don’t know which has higher odds. Teams with more depth tend to lose more good PS candidates. When they cut him, does he becomes a FA or is it a waiver wire deal where another team can just claim him?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Yup, it’s a risk but there’s probably no alternative. Two strategies they can try

1. Cut him on the day that the most teams make the most cuts, and he gets hidden in the stew.
                2. They put him on the original 53 and then cut him after all teams make their own final adjustments and think they have solidified their own rosters and then cut him to sign to the PS.

I don’t know which has higher odds. Teams with more depth tend to lose more good PS candidates. When they cut him, does he becomes a FA or is it a waiver wire deal where another team can just claim him?
                Waiver wire and if not claimed he clears waivers and we can sign him to the PS.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Waiver wire and if not claimed he clears waivers and we can sign him to the PS.
                  If we don’t see him playing much in PS games, is it because they love what they see of him in camp as a development WR? Minimize the tape?

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Here are the highlights of KJ Hill. He was Ohio State's all time leading receiver. It looked like he was going to go undrafted in 2020, but the Chargers took a flyer on him in the 7th round.

I saw his college highlights and thought this guy might be a sleeper, he looks awesome in this vid. Again, he was OSU's all time leading WR.

But he didn't have an NFL skill set and he only lasted a few lackluster seasons and is now out of the NFL.

Am I saying that Pokey is no better than KJ Hill? I'm saying we don't know yet, but you can't make an assessment just based on college highlights, because those highlights are against college talent. All 32 teams in the NFL passed on Pokey for seven rounds.

If Pokey does turn out to be a find, I'll be ecstatic. But I know from experience there is usually a reason when a player goes undrafted. I'm just saying let's temper our expectations of Mr. Pokey until he actually plays against NFL talent.

Great post. I was very happy when we drafted Hill and got him so late! Great college player whose skillset did not translate to the pros. I was way off on him.

Cannot believe 16 pages on an UDFA named Pokey. What a great discussion board!

How many pages would we get on an UDFA named Gumbey? gumby GIF

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Great post. I was very happy when we drafted Hill and got him so late! Great college player whose skillset did not translate to the pros. I was way off on him.

Cannot believe 16 pages on an UDFA named Pokey. What a great discussion board!

How many pages would we get on an UDFA named Gumbey? gumby GIF

TG
                      I don't know, have the posts about Pokey exceeded the TBilly posts yet?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Our insurance policy?

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X