• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

Ummmm he's coming off of an ACL tear. I highly doubt he's anywhere near a 4.3..
    You mean... *now*?

It's not unusual for a young guy with a clean ACL tear to recover their previous speed. Doesn't *always* happen, but not unusual.

I think it's a "wait and see" situation with Guyton, and as a candidate for the 6th WR spot on the roster? That kind of ambiguity is no big deal. The Bolts will be okay at WR6, Guyton, or not.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I did too but he didn't live up to such a high draft pick. he was as good a tackler as any CB in the league, but only average as a cover CB. In my memory, he was a good run stopper but he could get beat deep on occasion.
      He became a pretty good cover guy but didnt have good hands and didnt get many INTs.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I suspect that his game speed is faster than his official time, and 4.4ish sounds about right based on what I've seen in his vids. He's got moves too. The value of a 4.3 guy like Guyton is that they can get deep quickly and force DBs to defend every blade of grass on the field because Herbert is one of a handful of NFL QBs who can hit every blade of grass on the field. That really stresses a secondary.
        QJ ran a 4.49 officially at his proday and some scouts said they clocked him at 4.46. I posted the pro day article earlier today. He doesnt look real fast to me on tape. He is lanky and a long strider. He looked speedy on that one play because he made the only guy near him miss on that TD run and nobody else was around him. Still better speed than MW and Keenan.

As i always say, we dont need a 4.3 guy, we just need a YAC guy and that is more important. Guyton is not a YAC guy so his speed is limited to his go routes.

Comment

• Fort Worth Bolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Mar 2023
          • Send PM

DD and hopefully Pokey should add much needed improvement to the Chargers return game. I don't understand all the disrespect ( I won't say hate ), for Guyton. In limited opportunities he has 61 career receptions in his NFL career. Few even know he started his collegiate career at ND. He was a big time track star as a prep in TX.

I will try and post a YT highlight of JG's Chargers career. Yes it doesn't show the drops or missed assignments but for all of you that think he's just a 'go long' guy, this shows otherwise. Especially early in the clip on the long tosses, Herbert under throws him which allows the DB to make a cleaner tackle.

Folks, we only need JG to be WR5. And to fill in when injuries occur.

Here's the YT clip. My apologies if the link doesn't work. I'm not that tech savvy

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Guyton has improved greatly from college. Hec his NFL highlights are better than his college highlights. His college highlights are meh.

He has had some drops with us but he has pretty decent hands and this college video shows he can be a possession guy since, that's mostly what this is. But his YAC aren't good and hardly jukes anyone.

There's a few broken coverage wide open passes but that's it.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Pokey is,......well, Pokey! He has YAC ability but thats from college. where tackling overall is abismal, and he had a 1.62 ten yard split which is awful for a WR. That wont fare well for getting off the line.
              Guyton for the most part i agree, tho i dont think he has a lot of trouble getting off the line but he doesnt have many moves ill grant ya that. He could still be better.

Pokey imo is a PS guy and no way he beats out Guyton.
              Guyton was third worst WR getting off the LOS in all of the NFL in 2021. That’s just crap and you don’t keep your job unless you really really really really improve. Coming back from injury, he’s the player behind the eight ball for that WR6 spot.

Comment

• AK47
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Guyton was third worst WR getting off the LOS in all of the NFL in 2021. That’s just crap and you don’t keep your job unless you really really really really improve. Coming back from injury, he’s the player behind the eight ball for that WR6 spot.
                Weird how Guyton is listed 2lbs heavier than Palmer. Should probably hit the weight room and maybe take up boxing. At 212 lbs you should be beating up 189lb CBs.

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Weird how Guyton is listed 2lbs heavier than Palmer. Should probably hit the weight room and maybe take up boxing. At 212 lbs you should be beating up 189lb CBs.
                  It's not about size or strength, it's about quickness and moves. Plenty of small guys are/have been successful in the NFL.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

I think he’s been trying to bulk up to a “NFL weight”, but he has zeros moves so unless the CB is cheating to help out some other DB, Guyton is just never open. That’s what I keep seeing from him year after year, if there’s vid of him juking somebody out of their jock I’d love to see it, be awesome if our WR6 could be that good. Doesn’t really matter, DD is returner so will be active, and Moore will want TEs available for his O over WR6.

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

I must be the only guy that thinks Guyton is good. Take a look at some of his highlights. Notice not every route he runs is a deep route and also notice the catches are not always easy. I really can't figure out why so many of you talk down about him.
                      Jalen Guyton’s full 2020 NFL highlights. He served as the main WR3 for Justin Herbert.#JalenGuyton#LosAngelesChargersGo Bolts⚡️All credit to the NFL. No copy...
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• AK47
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

I think he’s been trying to bulk up to a “NFL weight”, but he has zeros moves so unless the CB is cheating to help out some other DB, Guyton is just never open. That’s what I keep seeing from him year after year, if there’s vid of him juking somebody out of their jock I’d love to see it, be awesome if our WR6 could be that good. Doesn’t really matter, DD is returner so will be active, and Moore will want TEs available for his O over WR6.
                        Perhaps it was more of a Lombardi system situation? We'll se how he does in Moore's system.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                          I must be the only guy that thinks Guyton is good. Take a look at some of his highlights. Notice not every route he runs is a deep route and also notice the catches are not always easy. I really can't figure out why so many of you talk down about him.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY1yUPOibWU
                          Hey, if he’s active in game day and contributes, I’m all for it.

Comment

Working...
                          X