• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

POLL: Is Ekeler Right to Organize RB's For More $? - Ekeler Discussion

I'm sorry, Mr. Ekeler. I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for you when you claim that you and other RB's in the league are underpaid and undervalued. Why?

• In 2017, the Bolts picked you off the scrap heap of UDFA's and gave you a job.

• Three years later, after you proved your worth, the Chargers awarded you with a 4-year, $24,500,000 contract, including a $6,000,000 signing bonus, and $15,000,000 guaranteed money. Nobody forced you to accept this offer. If you thought you were worth more, you were free to test the FA market and sign elsewhere, if you so chose.

• Today, with one year left on your current deal, you were disgruntled earlier this year, and asked to be traded. The Bolts wanted to keep you, and even offered you $1.75 million in incentives, a deal which you accepted.

• Then, not too long after this, you took to the media, dissing the Bolts and revealing details of contract negotiations:

"... I came with a lot of baggage,” Ekeler told Zach Gelb on CBS Sports Radio. “You were going to have to trade some high picks for me. The Chargers, they weren’t going to let me go for anything that wasn’t up there, so they saw my value there. It’s funny how when they allow me the trade, they’re like, ‘OK, but we want you to get these types of picks,’ which were not low picks, ‘but we’re not going to pay you like you’re that type of player.’ So, it’s kind of interesting where it’s like, ‘Oh, if you’re going to get traded, you got to get traded at this level, but if we’re going to keep you, we’re going to keep you down here at this level.’

“You can see for them, yeah, it makes sense because they’re getting the best of both worlds there. They have the leverage. And so that’s why it was tough for me to get anything out there or get a new contract where you’re going to have to give up high picks and also restructure my contract. That’s just being transparent on my situation.” (H/T Brenna White of NFL.com)" https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic...rade_negotiati ons_went/s1_17150_39034898

• Then, if that wasn't enough, you referred to the practices of the Bolt management and other teams as "trash" for not paying RB's enough...talk about biting the hand that feeds you:

image.png
    No Mr. Ekeler, it's not trash. It's simple market economics. If a team is willing to give you a nice raise for your 2nd or 3rd contract, they will. If they are not willing to do so, they won't. NFL teams know full well that RB's wear down fast, and are gunshy about shelling out megabank for RB's who are close to, or over 30 years old. Even the stats show that out of all positions in pro football, RB's are at the bottom of the barrel in career span:

image.png
    • Is it reasonable for a RB to demand to be paid the same or similar money that the average QB or OT earns? Is it reasonable for a driver with a slew of speeding tickets to demand to pay an insurance premium equal to that of a driver with a good driving record? No! Because market economics dictate it. Insurance companies calculate how much they have to pay out for accidents caused by poor drivers, and raise their rates accordingly. Oh, I understand that a RB getting injured is not intentional. Still, the lesson in market economics is valid.

• So, Mr. Ekeler, when you organize running backs to try to lobby for higher pay, the opposite of what the market is willing to bear, I just don't have a lot of sympathy for you. The best thing you can do at this point is to quietly play well this season, test the FA market, and accept the best offer you get. If the best deal you can find is with the Chargers again, fine, sign with them. If not, move on to another team. But please spare us the whiny rhetoric, or you may soon turn off Bolt fans and your teammates alike.
    No, let the market decide how much RB's get paid
    62.07%
    Yes, RB's deserve more money
    31.03%
    Other--see my answer
    6.90%
    Last edited by Topcat; 07-24-2023, 08:51 AM.
  • BigBad
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

If he was worth what he thinks he is then he could have closed out the Jags game. We were missing a real running game.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Don’t fucking care what these millionaires whine about.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post
        If he was worth what he thinks he is then he could have closed out the Jags game. We were missing a real running game.
        Good point...though Lombo's play calling didn't help either...

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post
          Really? You are blaming Ekeler for the failure in JAX?

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            • In 2017, the Bolts picked you off the scrap heap of UDFA's and gave you a job.
            Yeah, the Chargers did the same with Antonio Gates and Kris Dielman in 2003. It's what the player does with the opportunity that matters. You are are a reasonable person. I don't understand why you diminish what Ekeler has done with his opportunity. It saddens me that Chargers fans not just undervalue what Ekeler has accomplished for the team, but feel like it's OK to dump on him in this way.

Comment

• SK21209
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2020
              • San Diego
              • Send PM

At the end of the day you're worth what someone is willing to pay you, that's how markets work. If you think you're worth $10 million a year but no one is willing to give you $10 million a year, you are by definition not worth $10 million a year. I'm sure its frustrating for these star RBs because most of them were probably the best player on their team at the youth, high school and college levels. But there's no "problem" here that needs to be solved, this just happens in sports. It happened to fullbacks and tight ends. It happened to "enforcer" type centers in the NBA.

I don't think this is going to be the end of star RBs, though. 5 years ago it looked like running games were going to become near obsolete, but Shanahan and others have pushed forward more complicated running schemes that have produced offenses that can go toe-to-toe with the Mahomes or Josh Allen offenses. I think the future looks more like the Niners, with skill position guys like McCaffrey and Samuel being more interchangeable.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Really? You are blaming Ekeler for the failure in JAX?
                why not? he sure wasn't the solution. He's developing a bit of a statistical trend when it comes to playoff games, actually. look it up.

I was going to just say "Yea - another Ekeler contract thread!"
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Yeah, the Chargers did the same with Antonio Gates and Kris Dielman in 2003. It's what the player does with the opportunity that matters. You are are a reasonable person. I don't understand why you diminish what Ekeler has done with his opportunity. It saddens me that Chargers fans not just undervalue what Ekeler has accomplished for the team, but feel like it's OK to dump on him in this way.
                  I don't diminish what Ekkie has done in any way. He has been an excellent player for us. But the point is, RB's simply don't get paid as well as a lot of other positions. That's not my opinion. It's a plain fact. How about this: Should Ekkie be paid at the same rate as Herbie's next contract?

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

why not? he sure wasn't the solution. He's developing a bit of a statistical trend when it comes to playoff games, actually. look it up.

I was going to just say "Yea - another Ekeler contract thread!"
                    Mods--please consolidate all Ekkie posts into one big thread...thanks...

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Maybe it's the way the Chargers are handling the situation? I don't think Ekeler is worried about making $8 mil per year this year it's really about his potential devaluing after this season that has got him worried. If he doesn't produce at a high level this season like he should then he may be worth only $4 mil next season in a new contract. The big payouts to wide receivers has polluted the offensive playmakers market leading to this strife as belief of devaluation in comparison to Wideouts.
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
                        Maybe it's the way the Chargers are handling the situation? I don't think Ekeler is worried about making $8 mil per year this year it's really about his potential devaluing after this season that has got him worried. If he doesn't produce at a high level this season like he should then he may be worth only $4 mil next season in a new contract. The big payouts to wide receivers has polluted the offensive playmakers market leading to this strife as belief of devaluation in comparison to Wideouts.
                        The Bolt Brass has bent over backwards to handle BellyEkkie with kid gloves. There have been NO critical comments by TT or the Spani about Ekkie in the press, to my knowledge. In the meantime, Ek has unleashed a tweetstorm referring to the Bolts and other teams as "trash," RIGHT after they gave him $1.7 mil in incentives...then he tries to organize the RB Rebellion...wow, Ekkie is looking more and more like one of those ungrateful kids at Christmas...

Comment

Working...
                        X