• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Asela View Post
      I normally don't value much being said by Bleacher Report (the collective), but I hope what was written was true. Bosa able to get QB pressure 40% of the time even when double teamed, that is AMAZING. And then, No other prospect able to get QB pressure while double teamed more than 16% of the time. QB pressure 60% of time when singled up is a great stat in itself. Teams are likely to double Melvin and then if Bosa can bring that interior pressure, that could be worth its weight in gold. I could see Bosa forcing the pressure but not getting the sacks but other team members benefitting. We had a dominant defense when we had Jamal up the middle. (Jamal was such a stud!) He could collapse the pocket even when double teamed, and eventually teams were triple teaming at times. Against quick passing offenses, pressure up the middle is the only way to disrupt their offense. Brady hates pressure in his face, as does Luck. Indy got Kelly specifically for Luck after his horrible year.

I'm still concerned even at 280, how durable will Bosa be playing vs NFL bodies? If he bulks up to 300, will be lose some of that quickness? I read an analysis that he has a lack of playing strength, so adding muscle and leverage techniques should definitely help. 24 reps on the bench press is still pretty good for a DE.
      I watch the highlights of him bullrushing an OT with one hand and throwing the guy around. I don't know where the lack of playing strength comes from.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Asela
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2014
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdog View Post
        One of the news services reported this AM that when SD selected Joey Bosa at #3, everyone in the Dallas Cowboys war room turned white, "as if they had seen a ghost." Bosa was probably Jerruh's solution at DE, which they will now have to resolve tonight...
        I hope we did stick it to the Cowboys. Ever since the days when they took Wade Phillips from us, they've been taking defensive players that would fit in our system, often 1 pick ahead. I believe if we were to have been 11th instead of 12th (ahead of Dallas), AJ would've picked Demarcus Ware (future HOFer) instead of Merriman. Merriman was not AJ's type of persona he liked in a player.

Comment

• Asela
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2014
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
          I watch the highlights of him bullrushing an OT with one hand and throwing the guy around. I don't know where the lack of playing strength comes from.
          Highlights can often be misleading, I like watching full games of players tape. On occasion someone will build a video of every play in a game focussed on a single player. I love when people go through that kind of effort. That said, I've been so busy, I honestly haven't seen him play and have only read reviews on him.

Forward lean can cause him to go flying when defenders give him a shove. Instincts a work in progress. Can be slow to process what he sees and can be frozen by zone-read looks. Not much bang behind his pads as a tackler. Big runners squeeze out additional yards after contact against him. Will vacate his run fit with constant attempts to get over the top of block rather than reading and reacting to both gaps. Not as twitchy and sudden as expected. Feet are a little heavy and it takes just a second to accelerate up to speed after quick direction changes. More attention by offenses brought much fewer sacks. Flagged for offsides 10 times over last two years and 14 penalties total.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I confess to having not watched much CFB nor doing my normal level of draftnik stuff this year. But in the past week I've been thinking about all i have heard about the guys we were reportedly considering. OL is the biggest need IMO but it's clear that the team has financially committed to the tackles on the roster. No interior were worthy of picking at 3 so while Tunsil (pre-bong master video) or Stanley might've been long-term choices they probably wouldn't have done much for us this year. Good interior lineman are usually available in the second round.

Ramsey was probably the highest ceiling guy that we reportedly considered. But his position wasn't a trench position which I think 90% of us agree is a huge need. Also his ball skills weren't considered that good and if you're talking about a game-changer like Reed or Polamalu, that would be a necessity. Quentin Jammer was a very solid player, but he wasn't a game changer. Maybe if he'd played safety though... ;-)

Stopping the run was a major issue for us last year. Perryman should help more next year and Mebane will be a big help. Carrethers and Philon are progressing. But adding someone capable of helping us keep from getting gashed sounds pretty good to me. On the day prior to the draft I came to conclusion that DL was the direction we should go and that meant Bosa or Buckner. I didn't know much about Buckner and never noticed him during O games. But I knew Bosa was very good and I saw some games where he was very active and dominant at times, so I concluded that the guy that was ranked high even before the draft might've been the way to go and hope that we get at OL in the 2nd. I have concerns about Bosa's size and don't think of him as an OLB at all. But if he can put on some lean weight and continue refining his skill set I think he can be a very good player for us.

I'm sure that after the QB trades, they were looking to move down but just not enough partners and value for us to move. In the end, I'm glad they didn't overthink this and mess around with trades down and whatnot. At the end of the day we drafted the guy that was probably the top defender on the board at a position of genuine need. If there were teams or draftniks that rated him differently, he was at worst #3. So we got a very good player. He's going to start for us this year but he's still got some upside. Hard to knock it.
            Last edited by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR; 04-29-2016, 02:52 PM.

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
              Well, he's not going to get his number #97, easily. His dad and younger brother wear that number.
              91, 73, 61-64 and 66-69 available. If they classify him as a LB they can give him a number in the 40s. 44 is available, that would be a cool number for him to have. He'll probably get Leslie's old number.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

The last time we drafted a DE in the top ten was 1990...
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                  damn, I hate corrections. It's all about being more right.
                  Bolts were more right on this pick.
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

ChPe81UUUAA4uHy.jpg
                    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Did they cut Law?

Comment

fender57
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                        Did they cut Law?
                        He's still listed on the roster as #99.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Michael Gehlken ‏@sdutGehlken 47m47 minutes ago

New Chargers DE Joey Bosa on his new number: "97 was taken. Not too many choices. But I like 99." Was either 90, 96 or 99.

Great number. It always stands out.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X