Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Great story.
    It was pretty funny hearing him tell it. Just think if the scout had noticed. He'd not have been timed as fast and the team might have had questions about his character. Who knows - we might not have even drafted him and what ripple effect would that have had.

Comment

• Fleet 1
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Kauai
      • Send PM

Comment

• Rugger05
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Great breakdown thanks for posting Fleet. I think this Chargers draft class could be special. I expect five out the seven draft picks to contribute this year. Just a stellar draft class thus far.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post
          I really think Ansley is an improvement over Hill as DC. I really like this coaching staff now. Really impressed with the run game as a whole. I will say this the first preseason/TC the Chargers have not suffered anything. I will not type it but I think people know what I mean.
          This. i can understand the ever-present “show me” skeptics but the reputation I read is Ainsley is a bright creative young coach on the up.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

This. i can understand the ever-present “show me” skeptics but the reputation I read is Ainsley is a bright creative young coach on the up.
            I liked that Staley let him call the plays against the 49ers.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I liked that Staley let him call the plays against the 49ers.
              I did not hear that, Rich. Thank you. Makes sense that you let the man who built it, drive it, and see if everything is working properly prior to Week 1.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Kauai
                • Send PM

The thing right now that is sort of giving me some hope...is that D depth payers have been drafted and developed pretty decently in the last couple years. And this draft seems to be more of the same. Woods not being able to make open field tackles will get him out of he league fast. He is always available to make plays...just cant really make it work. Some of our secondary depth is getting better. They make great plays and give up some. Taylor and Leonard show flashes. I think they can help as far as depth goes. I think if our starters stay healthy....and we have around 5 really high end subs...the D will finally take a step. Jackson is a huge question mark for me. But this preseason i saw a bunch of good depth players on D. I think the offense will be fine. I suspect we will put up an extra 7 points a game over the last couple seasons. I like the run block calls. I think it might be better suited again for our depth guys. Spiller/Kelly. Dotson had a couple drops if i remember right. But i liked the way he ran between the tackles at times and he is nice rounding the corner. If anything our practice squad should be solid.

Generally i come out of the pre really down on the defense and our depth. They just have sucked so hard over the last couple years. And i would go off on Staley for not developing depth. The way they ran camp will greatly benefit the 2's. So that was good...but will our starters look way slow to start? Lets see. I am tempered for the most part for the season...but the depth is really a nice set up imo. Im finally on board and the roster isnt set yet. But i know who is making the defense most likely and we have drafted and developed nicely from what i see based on preseason play. You dont win championships without depth.

Matlock was getting doubled some. But i think he has the ability to grow into a disruptor. And just taking on 2 guys is not a terrible thing. Just kind of happy with our draft picks on that side of the ball.

And at this point i also feel really good about our MLBs. Murray looks pissed...Hendricks is just a really smart player...and watching Henley in phase and in zone....as well as his sideline to sideline prowess...he is going to be really good. Great tackler...great gap penetration...and goes to where the ball carrier is going to be. And doesnt leave the ground on tackles. Runs right through them. His WR background is helping him i coverage. He looks like he is running routes at times. In phase. He could even be reading body language from pass catchers and it helps him get an edge in coverage.

Comment

• Charge!
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                  That 75-yd TD run by Joshua Kelley was money. It looked like an inside zone - judging by the scoop block and the personnel group - and Kelley followed his insert blocker, beat one man and he was gone. I think we can already see proof of Kellen Moore's coaching in that we've already seen three open field run splash plays TDs in three preseason games. I don't recall seeing that in the Telesco era.

That jet sweep by Derius Davis was killer, made Derius look like the best player on the field for the second time this preseason.

Max Duggan is growing by-the-game. And he has the wheels and the guts to match. Great pick by Daiyan Henley as well. Great fumble recovery by D. Leonard.
                  4 plays if you count Spillers long run...... 4 big plays by 3 backs.....on limited snaps.... very nice!

Comment

Working...
                  X