• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Yea...your take is wrong. Year one, any RT taken 2nd round or later is gonna ride the pine...and won't be helping us this year. You either take one at the top, or you have Pip and Salyer battle it out.
    Oh gotta disagree, OL get drafted practically every round every year that end up starting over lesser entrenched “talents.” Yeah we got Salyer and I like him a lot for RT, if JH2 bring in another dude to compete so be it. But the bar is soooooo low, truly, I can see a UDFA competing legitimately.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
      Beef Before Gazelles
      • May 2021
      • Send PM

If its Alt, I put him on leftside, and put Slater on the right...wont hurt his eventual payday...he has already been allpro on the left, and will get paid as such...by somebody else, if not us...so I dont think there will be hurt feelings/disgruntlement...I think he would handle the transition better than Alt...jmo
      I'm among those who are coming from a place of saying, "The Bolts already have a left tackle, just like they already have a quarterback. They won't be drafting EITHER of those positions before Day 3."

Joe Alt is *not* the guy the Chargers need. Not saying he isn't qualified-- I'm saying that taking him wouldn't fill a hole. So it wouldn't make sense, ESPECIALLY with a Top 5 pick.

Several possibilities could come into play:

(1) At #5, there's a player the Giants are wetting their pants about getting, but the NYG fear Hortiz could trade the pick to a *different* team, who'd take the guy the Giants want. Especially if the player is a QB, the Giants will be motivated to secure their guy. Under those circumstances, I'd propose that the Chargers get the Giants 2nd round pick, and the Chargers give the Giants a 4th.

(2) The Giants aren't interested in the pick, but there are DEFINITELY teams out there willing to PAY UP for the privilege of using the #5 pick on Nabers... or Alt... or whomever. Hortiz has to evaluate whether the trade would allow him to select key players from his Day 2 clusters whom he views as instrumental to building a champion.

(3) The Chargers stay at #5 and select... IMO? Not Alt! Nabers would be a ballsy pick at #5, and so would Bowers. Is there an O-lineman, other than Alt, rated highly enough to merit the #5 pick? I don't personally think so. Is Hortiz the kind of guy who will take the prospect he believes will help the team the most, even if that player isn't the BPA on the board? That would be brash! If the Bolts pick from #5, I'm calling Harrison as the pick. If Harrison's already off the board? Nabers.

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Alabama OTs taking that % down but holy shit look at that WR miss rate. We got to be careful if we going WR. Which 1st round WRs will be the misses?
        This stat is so skewed that it's ridiculous...why don't we add in the percentage of those first rounders signing for big contracts with other teams. I think it would be much closer to a 50% success rate. Look at all the receivers wanting big second contracts and we now know why they are drafted high. Really counter intuitive and stupid thinking really!
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Lone Bolt
          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
          • Feb 2019
          • McLean Illinois
          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Oh gotta disagree, OL get drafted practically every round every year that end up starting over lesser entrenched “talents.” Yeah we got Salyer and I like him a lot for RT, if JH2 bring in another dude to compete so be it. But the bar is soooooo low, truly, I can see a UDFA competing legitimately.
          Im not half assing the RT position...not on Harbaughs team...thats Telesco type bullshit...come heavy, or wait a year...no midrounder RT is gonna start, or contribute in any way...but other positions picked in midrounds can contribute this year...they wanna win right away...there wont be wasted steps.
          Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

If Hortiz is truly a BPA guy, it has to be MHJr or Nabers. They are almost universally rated at the best non-QBs in the draft. Picking someone else leaves value on the table.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Parcells
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Personally when it comes to the O line I feel much better about Pip vs Salyer at RT compared to what we have at center long term. Personally I’d rather go WR at 5 and OC at 37 with JPJ or Frazier.

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Yea...your take is wrong. Year one, any RT taken 2nd round or later is gonna ride the pine...and won't be helping us this year. You either take one at the top, or you have Pip and Salyer battle it out.
                I'm good with that...I think this is a bullshit statement that we really don't know how they will develop. Your stating that the 37th player of all football players in the nation for RT would not be an improvement? By mid season any player taken there would more than likely be an IMPROVEMENT.
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I'm among those who are coming from a place of saying, "The Bolts already have a left tackle, just like they already have a quarterback. They won't be drafting EITHER of those positions before Day 3."

Joe Alt is *not* the guy the Chargers need. Not saying he isn't qualified-- I'm saying that taking him wouldn't fill a hole. So it wouldn't make sense, ESPECIALLY with a Top 5 pick.

Several possibilities could come into play:

(1) At #5, there's a player the Giants are wetting their pants about getting, but the NYG fear Hortiz could trade the pick to a *different* team, who'd take the guy the Giants want. Especially if the player is a QB, the Giants will be motivated to secure their guy. Under those circumstances, I'd propose that the Chargers get the Giants 2nd round pick, and the Chargers give the Giants a 4th.

(2) The Giants aren't interested in the pick, but there are DEFINITELY teams out there willing to PAY UP for the privilege of using the #5 pick on Nabers... or Alt... or whomever. Hortiz has to evaluate whether the trade would allow him to select key players from his Day 2 clusters whom he views as instrumental to building a champion.

(3) The Chargers stay at #5 and select... IMO? Not Alt! Nabers would be a ballsy pick at #5, and so would Bowers. Is there an O-lineman, other than Alt, rated highly enough to merit the #5 pick? I don't personally think so. Is Hortiz the kind of guy who will take the prospect he believes will help the team the most, even if that player isn't the BPA on the board? That would be brash! If the Bolts pick from #5, I'm calling Harrison as the pick. If Harrison's already off the board? Nabers.

Reasonable stuff.

I say Alt is a LT...people think he can easily move to the rightside...but I say if you want a RT that bad, pick a good RT...Fuaga and Latham fit...

But hell...Im getting worn out by all this...pick Alt, pick Nabors...fine by me. Im just a stupid fan...Jim knows what he is doing
                  Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

This stat is so skewed that it's ridiculous...why don't we add in the percentage of those first rounders signing for big contracts with other teams. I think it would be much closer to a 50% success rate. Look at all the receivers wanting big second contracts and we now know why they are drafted high. Really counter intuitive and stupid thinking really!
                    I don't know if it has anything to do with second contracts.

A miss is like John Ross, Cory Davis, Kadarius Toney so far is a miss, Henry Ruggs, N' Keal Harry, Corey Coleman, Treadwell..... There are a bunch.

I'm guessing they mean those types.

Comment

• Jack Burton
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2023
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

The pay scale between LT and RT is large. Moving Alt to LT when Slater has already been a success there is a bad move. Letting Slater
                      go and putting Alt there in his place does not resolve the issue at RT and you may have just made LT worse. Very bad idea all round.
                      Yeah, what’s Slaters agent say about that as they are currently working on Slaters contract. Is Slater now getting a LT or RT contract?!?! I’m sure his agent has something to say about that…
                      Slater is a proven pro bowl LT. Why in the fuck would you move him?!?!
                      I cannot see that. Alt will have to learn RT. Which to me is idiotic. But if they think he can do it…I guess they know what they are doing…

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Oh shiiiit
                        JC Latham Latham

TPB MELTDOWN if this happens.
                        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• JOJAX85
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Irmo, SC
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I like Legette but it took him til his 5th college season for things to click. He may be a year 2-3 guy in the NFL and we still have QJ trying to click.
                          it's my only knock on him.
                          My only knock on him is HE WON'T PULL HIS PANTS DOWN! ​​​ He's out there running around in biker shorts like it's the 90s. Other than that, the kid can play.

Comment

Working...
                          X