• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kellyb72601
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

Look at the most successful QB's right now. They run. They extend plays which makes it more difficult on DB's. They pick up first downs often with their legs.
    There is no reason Herbert should be different from Mahomes or Allen. He's faster than both. But they utilize their legs to keep drives alive. Christ if we wanted a statue in the pocket only passer lets get Rivers out of retirement. Seriously though unlock this part of Herberts game. We have seen flashes like the 60 yard run against Pittsburgh. I believe he is one of the most accurate passers on the move.

If Mahomes is winning Superbowls and MVP's all while improvising and turning the game into a backyard football game then why should we not copy that formula?
    Yes this is the major thing missing from Herberts game. He doesn't extend plays when he needs to. I don't think he ever will either because most of that has more to do with natural instinct and vision than it does athleticism. It's like in basketball - someone can practice dribbling and ball handling until they're elite at handling the ball but they still can't play point guard unless they have the innate instincts, feel, and vision. Mahomes & Burrow were both high level basketball players & played point guard. They have innately very good instincts & feel for pressure & extend a lot of plays. Mahomes plays football like a point guard- he sees everything & has an innate feel for where everyone is around him. Herbert was a pretty good basketball player too but he played center.

Comment

• HerbieParadigm
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2022
      • Send PM

Fix starting w/Vikings, embrace the "Why" from the greatest HC in Bill Walsh. He stated in response to being asked about running up the score. "There is no such thing as a safe lead in the NFL". Translation is Moore tells Herbert to run no-huddle" and attack so build > 10 point lead early. Now, continue to attack cuz Cousins is going to light up the scoreboard as well.

Staley needs to get real and grow a pair telling Moore, until further notice our D forces a shootout every game. So Herbert earn your f---ng big bag of cache!

Comment

• Kellyb72601
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargerville View Post
        I watched the Eagles/Vikings game with a friend…

He said after the game, I just don’t buy Kirk Cousins and the Vikings offense. Yeah their defense sucks, Yeah Cousins has a lot of TD passes and the Vikings offense scores a lot of points and they have a bunch of stats… and will occasionally win an impressive game, but with the exception of that Bills game where they fell behind and had to come back… do you buy or trust the Vikings offense to be clutch in a big game against a playoff caliber team? He said, even though their primary problem is the defense, I expect them to lose most “both defenses didn’t show up” played shootouts against playoff caliber teams.

That’s kind of how I feel about the Charger offense. They are still trying to find their identity with a new O-coordinator so hopefully this changes for me.
        Agreed. Kirk Cousins is the closest comparison to Herbert for the same reasons. Neither extends plays. Cousins is a slightly more accurate passer & reader of defenses but a 100% statue that takes sacks & can't handle pocket pressure whatsoever. But if he has a clean pocket he will carve you up. Herbert has better mobility but fails against good defenses for the same reasons Cousins does, he doesn't extend plays enough.

Comment

• SuperCharged
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Utah
          • Midnight Toker
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post

Yes this is the major thing missing from Herberts game. He doesn't extend plays when he needs to. I don't think he ever will either because most of that has more to do with natural instinct and vision than it does athleticism. It's like in basketball - someone can practice dribbling and ball handling until they're elite at handling the ball but they still can't play point guard unless they have the innate instincts, feel, and vision. Mahomes & Burrow were both high level basketball players & played point guard. They have innately very good instincts & feel for pressure & extend a lot of plays. Mahomes plays football like a point guard- he sees everything & has an innate feel for where everyone is around him. Herbert was a pretty good basketball player too but he played center.
          He actually does! But for whatever reason he hasn't lately. I haven't a clue why. It's driving me crazy. He's done it. At one point he was the most accurate passer on the move. We should have designed QB rollouts. At least 3 a game.

I like the offense showing up top 5. With a little more aggression and playmaking from Herbert would put us over the top even with this junior college defense of Staley's.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Comment

• charger1_sj
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Lol, I never said we were a good defense at all. Just that we sucked had the #7 against the pass. Total shit against the run. Couldn't stop nobody.

You don't need to explain anything to me. I understand it all. I know the times are different. QBs got it easy now.
              Thanks for the heads up lol.

The game actually sucks now with refs determining outcomes and all the stupid rules and lame penalties.

Again, my idea of a great defense is obviously different from yours.

SF and Jets...had very good defenses, not great imo. Agree or not, I don't care.

Our defense is the problem. There was yet again another video of Cowherd former OL Mark Schlererth saying just that.

Yeah went 2-14 on third downs yet if our defense wasn't so shitty we still win the game. Tennessee has a pretty decent defense themselves.amd are hard to run on.

Next week Tannehill gets back to reality and probably won't complete 83% of his passes ever again,....unless he plays us again.
              Of course the defense is the big problem. Nobody with a brain is going to argue that. BUT against the Titans the offense was just as guilty as the defense.
              That's the point you are missing. We had 4 chances on offense to put the game away in the 4th and OT and we failed. Realize that the D forced 2 punts,
              we got the ball in good field position with a 4 point lead in Q4. A TD puts the game away for good. A FG and we most likely win. But we came up with 0. Then
              comes overtime. Three incompletions. I'm sorry but the O failed big time in this game.

In the longer term if the D is not fixed then it's going to be a very miserable year. Nothing new there. The O failing is a relatively new problem, but it goes back
              to last year against the Jags. We also failed on the last drive against Miami. With our D we've got to start cashing in on those opportunities.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Is that like saying yeah our D sucked but if our O wasn’t so shitty we still win the game? Maybe both suck enough to lose?
                Kind of yes but the offense is averaging 29 points per games, defense giving up 31.5.

29 points usually wins games.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Utah
                  • Midnight Toker
                  • Send PM

I just want Herbert more aggressive. He needs to be the PG. John Stockton.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Kind of yes but the offense is averaging 29 points per games, defense giving up 31.5.

29 points usually wins games.
                    Way to early to count on stats. We scored 34 and lost. We scored 24 and lost. 34 and probability of winning is very high. 24 and it gets iffy.
                    If we had scored 29 last Sunday we would have won. That's why you can't count on stats.

We averaged 23 last year and won 10 games. But the schedule turned out to be very soft.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Of course the defense is the big problem. Nobody with a brain is going to argue that. BUT against the Titans the offense was just as guilty as the defense.
                      That's the point you are missing. We had 4 chances on offense to put the game away in the 4th and OT and we failed. Realize that the D forced 2 punts,
                      we got the ball in good field position with a 4 point lead in Q4. A TD puts the game away for good. A FG and we most likely win. But we came up with 0. Then
                      comes overtime. Three incompletions. I'm sorry but the O failed big time in this game.

In the longer term if the D is not fixed then it's going to be a very miserable year. Nothing new there. The O failing is a relatively new problem, but it goes back
                      to last year against the Jags. We also failed on the last drive against Miami. With our D we've got to start cashing in on those opportunities.
                      The offense does need to start cashing in - no doubt
                      But the defense also could get a key stop every now and again. In all three games you mentioned - the defense actually could have won the game as well.

Bosa, Mack, James - somebody make a play. Goose eggs

Comment

• Eurobolt
                        *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
                        I just want Herbert more aggressive. He needs to be the PG. John Stockton.
                        John Stockton - definition of aggressiveness

Comment

• charger1_sj
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The offense does need to start cashing in - no doubt
                          But the defense also could get a key stop every now and again. In all three games you mentioned - the defense actually could have won the game as well.

Bosa, Mack, James - somebody make a play. Goose eggs
                          Down the stretch in the Titans game the D did enough to win the game. They came up with 2 big stops. The O had 4 chances to win the
                          game and came up with 3 points.

That doesn't mean the D played great, they actually stunk even if they had 5 sacks. But when the chips were down the O let us down.

Comment

Working...
                          X