Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Utah
    • Midnight Toker
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
    Yeah.....

The offense has been the issue!

Defense is surrendering an average of 31.5 points per game.
    We know the defense is the main issue. Why is no one pointing out we had chances to ice both games with ONE drive that gives us points.

You can roll your eyes all day. The fact is in 2 weeks we would have won both games with a decent drive that ends in points. WE GOT NONE.

Get it yet? You can put up tons of points. But if you can't finish/score when it matters most you're going to lose a lot of games.

Comment

• BigBad
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

Well......I wonder if our biggest RedZone threat the past few years not being there mattered. Ekeler didnt play yesterday and I beleive he was out or very limited in the last red zone trip vs Miami.

Comment

• AFboltfan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2018
        • Balboa Park bench
        • Medical Simulation
        • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post
        Well......I wonder if our biggest RedZone threat the past few years not being there mattered. Ekeler didnt play yesterday and I beleive he was out or very limited in the last red zone trip vs Miami.
        Bingo! Somebody actually gets it... Can ya'll believe if we actually did trade Ekeler and ran with just Kelley, Dotson, and Spiller?? We would still be 0-2....

Ekeler is grossly underpaid...

Comment

• FoutsFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Birmingham AL
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          I wish the OP would have done some research before starting this thread. The offense is 4th in scoring, 4th in rushing, 7th in passing. When your offense is top 10 in all of these categories and top 5 in two of them, the offense doesn't need fixing. Additionally, the offense has not turned the ball over in two games. I really don't understand what needs to be fixed.

Additionally, Herbert has completed 67.6 of his passes and has a 102 rating.

Has the OP ever heard the saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it?
          Agree 100%, the only thing the offense will do is get more comfortable in the system and naturally improve.

The D however is the problem.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post
            Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post

Bingo! Somebody actually gets it... Can ya'll believe if we actually did trade Ekeler and ran with just Kelley, Dotson, and Spiller?? We would still be 0-2....

Ekeler is grossly underpaid...
            Agreed. People are complaining about Herbert's performance, but they forget that he didn't have the most explosive player on his offense yesterday. Chargers fans conveniently forget Ekeler is the league's best scorer and was top 6 in total yards from scrimmage last year. Fans on this board vastly under appreciate and under estimate Ekeler. They complain that he is too vocal about his contract and say the Chargers would be better without him. Clueless.

Comment

• AFboltfan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2018
              • Balboa Park bench
              • Medical Simulation
              • Send PM

Agreed. People are complaining about Herbert's performance, but they forget that he didn't have the most explosive player on his offense yesterday. Chargers fans conveniently forget Ekeler is the league's best scorer and was top 6 in total yards from scrimmage last year. Fans on this board vastly under appreciate and under estimate Ekeler. They complain that he is too vocal about his contract and say the Chargers would be better without him. Clueless.
              Yup, it blows my mind the disrespect that Ekeler gets...

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post
                Agree 100%, the only thing the offense will do is get more comfortable in the system and naturally improve.

My take exactly. The complainers here forget this is a new offense for Herbert and everybody else. It will take time time for it reach it's full potency. Even with that, the offense has scored enough for this team to me 2-0 if it had even a competent defense.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

My take exactly. The complainers here forget this is a new offense for Herbert and everybody else. It will take time time for it reach it's full potency. Even with that, the offense has scored enough for this team to me 2-0 if it had even a competent defense.
                  I think the questioning of Herbert by some here is very misguided, but the reality is we are 0-2. We didn't score in the last possession of either game. There are a variety of reasons for and most not on Herbert. Because we lost, it's right to look at everything. However, the weird notion that Herbert isn't clutch is something I chuckle about have posted many times about his game winning drives and if not for him we'd have trouble winning just about every game.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I know Herbert can play better and if he checked to that run play - thats on him

But there are a lot of other players not playing very well

Its not the offense - I know that much .

Defense is just not good or clutch
                    Oline breaks down at the wrong time

Even JK Scott - Stenhouse punting from his own end zone, similar to Scott against Miami but Stenhouse hit one 65 yards - a nice Davis return got it to midfield. JK Scott, 34 years. Even yesterday, a couple times he could really pin them back - the punts to the 13 or so. My attitude -average punts - why not try for the coffin corner - you can practice it all day. Aim for the 10 yard line - just practice it - all damn day!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

We know the defense is the main issue. Why is no one pointing out we had chances to ice both games with ONE drive that gives us points.

You can roll your eyes all day. The fact is in 2 weeks we would have won both games with a decent drive that ends in points. WE GOT NONE.

Get it yet? You can put up tons of points. But if you can't finish/score when it matters most you're going to lose a lot of games.
                      OR, we win both games if we make a stop on their last drive instead of once again, letting them take the lead late and making Tua and Tannehill look like Joe Montana in the process.

Get it yet!

Comment

• Geezbolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Sun Valley, ID
                        • Send PM

If you look at the big picture, the penalties, both offensively and defensively, and even the long completions against them are symptoms of a team losing focus during a game and that all breaks down to lack of discipline.

I'm reminded of what Nick Hardwick said a few years back about the team. He said they lack a couple of bad-ass players who hold the others on the team accountable. Guys in the locker room whose bad side you don't want to get onto. He mentioned Randall Godfrey from his years as a player like that. Going way back, I remember Lyle Alzado saying the same thing about the Chargers. He said they always get rid of, or shy away from one or two guys who may be a little tougher to deal with for the coaches and especially for the upper brass, when those are exactly the players who would put them over the top. So I think there's something to it. It's pretty obvious to me the current team has no one like that on the roster.
                        ​

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Teams that need to fix their offenses:
                          The Jets
                          The Cardinals
                          The Steelers