• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by mudwhistle View Post

The way it looks....we'll be lucky to get 8 wins.
    I do not see a consistent enough defense to basically do better than a 7 or 8 win team at this point.

Justin Herbert has yet to throw an interception. He really can't at this point

Comment

• Kellyb72601
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I saw a stat that shows Khalil Mack is near the bottom - its one metric - in creating pass rush. Mack might be solid against the run, Popper point this out - but he is being paid to also hit the damn QB
      If we put Mack on a rotation like Bosa where he only comes in and rushes on 3rd down he'd look much better and win most every rush. He just plays way too many snaps and he's never fresh. But it's hard to take him off the field on 1st down because he's so reliable against the run. This is why I wanted Van Noy brought back. Rump is worthless but Tuli is awesome. Tuli's also playing too many snaps right now. Ideally we'd have a 4 man rotation of Mack, Bosa, Tuli, and Van Noy. You could rotate the entire game and keep all those guys fresh.

The way it looks the only way this defense is ever gonna get off the field is with that pass rush.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post

If we put Mack on a rotation like Bosa where he only comes in and rushes on 3rd down he'd look much better and win most every rush. He just plays way too many snaps and he's never fresh. But it's hard to take him off the field on 1st down because he's so reliable against the run. This is why I wanted Van Noy brought back. Rump is worthless but Tuli is awesome. Tuli's also playing too many snaps right now. Ideally we'd have a 4 man rotation of Mack, Bosa, Tuli, and Van Noy. You could rotate the entire game and keep all those guys fresh.

The way it looks the only way this defense is ever gonna get off the field is with that pass rush.
        Why not bring back KVN at this point - he would help the rotation and like y ou said, give them a better chance of maximizing Mack snaps

Comment

• Kellyb72601
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

I have no idea why. Van Noy indicated on twitter that Staley wanted him back, so it must be Telesco. It makes too much sense to me.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
            I have no idea why. Van Noy indicated on twitter that Staley wanted him back, so it must be Telesco. It makes too much sense to me.
            Don’t get me started on this personnel brain fart

Comment

• Icebolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2023
              • Send PM

Tui or what ever his name is, is the most disruptive DL in yesterdays game ( ya, I know, that is not saying much ). Boso had 1 tackle all day!

Comment

• KrazyLegs
                Registered Dude
                • Sep 2018
                • Westminster, MA
                • Send PM

Late to the party. I appreciate the effort from the OP.

But some of these rankings make ZERO sense.

Justin Herbert is a 6 — yet so are Everett and Mack. And Bosa's a 7. Yeah, maybe two years ago.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

If Gillman is a 4, then what is JT Woods? Woods is awful.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I believe the focus should be on game grades.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by KrazyLegs View Post
                      Late to the party. I appreciate the effort from the OP.

But some of these rankings make ZERO sense.

Justin Herbert is a 6 — yet so are Everett and Mack. And Bosa's a 7. Yeah, maybe two years ago.
                      Look at the grading scale. A 5 is an average NFL starter. There are 32 starting QBs. Average would be #16. I think he's better than that but not pro bowl level. I think through the first 2 weeks of the season (this post was made after week 2) he played like an above average NFL starter. He played at an elite level yesterday and might very well do the same against the 'Fade but there are consistent trends he's shown against good defenses that I think FOR NOW he needs to show he's able to move past and consistently get away from pressure and use his legs.

Same goes for Everett and Mack. I think they're both above average but not more. Mack is still elite against the run but hasn't rushed the passer as well this year.

Bosa is still good enough if you put an average tackle on him he will destroy the game. He's probably still capable of playing at a pro bowl level but for now I have him right below that at a 7.

I'd probably also give Tuli a 7 he might be the best player on this defense.

Comment

• rensoul
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2023
                        • Send PM

This team's talent on D is really hard to guage due to the coaching/scheme.
                        This is one of the most expensive defensive rosters in the league, I can't believe that the talent is bottom 10 defense bad with that amount invested.

It reminds me of the Browns situation. For the past couple years the fomer DC, Joe Woods, was considered a bad DC then was replaced by Jim Schwartz this season.

They made a couple personnel changes swapping out Clowney for ZaDarius smith and Dalvin Tomlinson at DT. Other than that it's mostly the same guys and they look like a completely different defense under Schwartz then they did last season.

Comment

• QuiteFrankly
                          Since Balboa Stadium
                          • Sep 2022
                          • LA
                          • Send PM

You are what your record says you are.

Comment

Working...
                          X