Chargers @ Vikings Official Game Day Thread / Post Game Reaction (Wk 3)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

It's not because of Norv, McCoy and Lynn. It's the right football move. I'm not wired, use of brain is important. History has showed us that playing the analytic stats game can
    lose you some very important games. You may win some, but you don't want to lose a game you need desperately to win on cause of stupid decisions.
    Show me historically how playing the analytics game stack up in wins and losses.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

His old 2021 self that couldn't make a use of a Justin Herbert 5000 yard pro Bowl season and make the playoffs?
      That version was better than the 2022 version despite making the playoffs.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I don’t care. Go ahead and plow him if you want. It doesn’t change that it was the right decision to do it. Just like it was the right decision to get a TD on 4th and 1.
        Like I said before I disagree . . . . . . . . . . but it doesn't matter - because we won the game anyway

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Moderation in all things . . . . . . . . . . . . there's no 'one size fits all' action for these situations . . . . . . . just lots of differing opinions.

For the record - if Staley had managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory (again) yesterday I'd be plowing him under right now like a 4 month old cornfield. He was very lucky.
          I also don’t think analytics is one of those things you can use moderation on. You got to commit all the way to get the long term benefits. Moderation is what happened in 2022 and 2023 so far and the results haven’t been as good IMO.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

I also don’t think analytics is one of those things you can use moderation on. You got to commit all the way to get the long term benefits. Moderation is what happened in 2022 and 2023 so far and the results haven’t been as good IMO.

Maybe moderation was the wrong word - it would have been better to state 'common sense' instead. Analytics is similar to computers - garbage in, garbage out. What data is your analytics based on? Is this data infallible? Irrefutable? Always correct?

IMO analytics are a good thing overall and a useful tool, but analytic based decisions need to be tempered with a healthy dollop of common sense as well . . . . . . . . . . . Analytics can't factor in the mentality or confidence level of a team (high or low) during the game, or a player getting hot and dominating, or a team gaining (or losing) momentum.

It's a tool, not the 'be all - end all'. You can certainly commit to an analytical approach, but the decision makers need to consider ALL the factors involved when making decisions, not just what the 'computer' tells them to do.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Not that we can't improve in this area, but arguing about upgrading at punter with the current issues we have going on is sort of like throwing deck chairs off the Titanic . . . . . . . . How about we fix the defense and replace a starting WR first?
              Understand, but he is available, would be cheap and can be brought in right now.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2022
                • Send PM

Show me historically how playing the analytics game stack up in wins and losses.
                That doesn't matter. Analytics does not take into consideration any human element at all. It's purely math. That's where it fails.

Let me ask you this. Suppose you are a High School team facing 4th and 1 at your 25 yard line. Make it and you win the game.
                The other team is the SF 49ers. Analytics tells you nothing about the particular situation. The Chargers in critical situations have missed more than made
                3rd and 1 or 4th and 1. Analytics doesn't tell anything about that or 100 other possible reasons why you shouldn't go for it.

Now in that same Chargers situation as yesterday if the score is 30-28, then I go for it. See the big difference? Analytics will tell you go for it 100% of
                the time. If I were facing the 2007 Brady led Patriots I may go for it. But if was the 2023 Vikings with a QB known not to be great in clutch situations.
                The situation matters because humans defy the odds all the time.

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

[/B][/U]

Maybe moderation was the wrong word - it would have been better to state 'common sense' instead. Analytics is similar to computers - garbage in, garbage out. What data is your analytics based on? Is this data infallible? Irrefutable? Always correct?

IMO analytics are a good thing overall and a useful tool, but analytic based decisions need to be tempered with a healthy dollop of common sense as well . . . . . . . . . . . Analytics can't factor in the mentality or confidence level of a team (high or low) during the game, or a player getting hot and dominating, or a team gaining (or losing) momentum.

It's a tool, not the 'be all - end all'. You can certainly commit to an analytical approach, but the decision makers need to consider ALL the factors involved when making decisions, not just what the 'computer' tells them to do.
                  Okay. But not only did analysis say go for it. The gut feel of the game and season was that the defense struggles to stop teams. 1 yard away from Win and the offense that should be able to get it. But the opponent won the down. Play call was questionable, think it's easier for opponent to blow up a telegraph run play. Play action in those situations where they have to sell out to stop a yard to create easy pitch and catch opportunities.
                  Who has it better than us?

Comment

• charger1_sj
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

Analytics failed us in 2022 and 2023. So what exactly are you talking about? What moderation?

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Okay. But not only did analysis say go for it. The gut feel of the game and season was that the defense struggles to stop teams. 1 yard away from Win and the offense that should be able to get it. But the opponent won the down. Play call was questionable, think it's easier for opponent to blow up a telegraph run play. Play action in those situations where they have to sell out to stop a yard to create easy pitch and catch opportunities.
                      That's an argument for the play call. That requires a lot more than Analytics. Which is why you can't rely on Analytics 100% of the time. Every situation is different, but Analytics doesn't care, it's simple math, except it isn't it's a football game. Humans are involved and they are fallible math is not.

Comment

• jubei
                        Vagabond Ninja
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by KrazyLegs View Post
                        Would like to see McKitty phased out.

He only had 10 snaps. But he may have had the worst single play for an offensive player in the game. Stumbles coming off the line, completely misses his block on a pass to his side, reaches back and grabs a defender's facemask. Made multiple mistakes on one play.
                        yes mckitty cat needs to go. he is there to be a blocker and he cant do that. he has no value as a receiving threat.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Analytics failed us in 2022 and 2023. So what exactly are you talking about? What moderation?
                          Staley backed off quite a bit in 2022. And so far in 2023. He’s not taking the same aggressiveness that he did in 2021, which is one of my biggest criticisms of him.

Comment

Working...
                          X