Chargers @ Vikings Official Game Day Thread / Post Game Reaction (Wk 3)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    Can't get enough of this chill, down to earth, wholesome Oregon boy. Keeping the Victory Brisket tradition alive and smoky.

Michael Pittman Jr. and Kianna take Justin Herbert fishing.

Comment

• DennisR91
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Donald Parham is 6' 8", in short yardage, low man wins. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop running the same play out of super-wing alignment. I'm just going to assign another TE, have him been his knees and get after his man.

Any thoughts on seeing RT Trey Pipkens completely whiff + fall to his knees? That's a bigger issue, by far.

Comment

• YAC
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2023
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
        Talking about analytics ...

1- One rush yard is about the average the Chargers had that day. Not safe to go on 4th. Even less if it's at your 20 !
        2- If you give the ball inside your 30, with this defense, you are at risk.
        3- If you give the ball at the other team's 30, this team had no time out with about 1:30 to go, seems to me safer.

Am I the only one who see it ?
        • A big punt return is a risk
        • A punt block is a risk
        • Giving up a surgical 8 play drive after a punt is a risk (yes 8 plays were run after that 4th down)
        • A long pass to Jefferson, db falls down and it's six...is a risk
        • Yielding a long pass interference is a risk
        Take all these risks up a notch as our secondary is quite suspect right now.

Pick up one yard and you grind all those risks to powder. Fail to pick up that yard you still got a fighting chance.

Comment

• YAC
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2023
          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post
          The talking heads and analysts who have never played or coached a single down n the NFL are backing the analytics model and Staley.
          The real HC and former HOF players are not backing Staley's analytic approach. And by the way that same analytic approach cost us
          a PO spot two years ago or did you forget? Maybe get your computer out.
          Again, I chuckle at all the times analytics-critics have selective memory.

You wanted to talk about 2021? How about the Browns game that we won despite the fact we couldn't ever stop the Browns offense?

Remember this? (I'm guessing you won't)
          4th and 2 in Quarter 2...Chargers on their own 24...go for it and convert. Leading to touchdown.
          4th and 7 in Quarter 2...at Cle 22...Chargers go for it...convert. Leading to touchdown

Then in Quarter 3:
          4th and 4 at our own 41...Chargers go for it...Leading to touchdown.

Browns scored 42. Because we didn't go Turtle/Jimmy Johnson...we scored 47. And won.

Comment

• YAC
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2023
            • Send PM

I don't want anyone to misunderstand me. I love old-school values. I find people over 50 typically more interesting, deep and genuine than those under 40. And I think people from forty years ago actually lived, compared to all of us today stuck to our screens. I sure don't like many of the things tech has done to our culture, or is about to do with AI.

But facts are facts. Analytics in sports is about rationality over fear-based, or false-intuition-based decision making. It's making big-time money and it's changing who gets hired in front offices and coaching jobs for a reason. It works. Fighting it is pointless and hopeless.

I love Bill Parcells and want to call attention to that fact that he's given $4 million of his personal money to former players who have gotten themselves in a bad way. This was in the news recently. He changed a lot of his players entire lives with old school principles and tough love. I just wouldn't expect him to suddenly adopt something so foreign as analytics. Same for any retired coach like Jimmy Johnson.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
              French Speaking Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Québec city
              • Send PM

Originally posted by YAC View Post
              • A big punt return is a risk
              • A punt block is a risk
              • Giving up a surgical 8 play drive after a punt is a risk (yes 8 plays were run after that 4th down)
              • A long pass to Jefferson, db falls down and it's six...is a risk
              • Yielding a long pass interference is a risk
              Take all these risks up a notch as our secondary is quite suspect right now.

Pick up one yard and you grind all those risks to powder. Fail to pick up that yard you still got a fighting chance.
              Nobody's affraid of punting the ball away.
              Who is affraid of K. Cousin to go 70 yards with one minute left and no time out ?
              What are the chances to win when the other team have the ball at your 20 with one minute left in a 1 possession game ?
              If you don't trust your defense, don't put them in that situation ! They were VERY lucky.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Great insight from former Chargers QB 2 Chase
                Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• charger1_sj
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2022
                  • Send PM

Again, I chuckle at all the times analytics-critics have selective memory.

You wanted to talk about 2021? How about the Browns game that we won despite the fact we couldn't ever stop the Browns offense?

Remember this? (I'm guessing you won't)
                  4th and 2 in Quarter 2...Chargers on their own 24...go for it and convert. Leading to touchdown.
                  4th and 7 in Quarter 2...at Cle 22...Chargers go for it...convert. Leading to touchdown

Then in Quarter 3:
                  4th and 4 at our own 41...Chargers go for it...Leading to touchdown.

Browns scored 42. Because we didn't go Turtle/Jimmy Johnson...we scored 47. And won.
                  2nd quarter is not the 4th. The difference time.
                  3rd quarter is not the 4th. The difference time.

We were playing the Browns not the Patriots. The situations above are quite different then last weekend.
                  We lost to the Raiders for the similar situation you gave above. The difference it kept us out of the PO. So there's that.

In order to make a proper determination you would have to weigh a lot of factors. Some of which is not possible in real
                  time without AI. Other info is just not there to make the proper choice. If we had lost (and we should have) the conversation
                  would be quite different.

Let me ask you this. Did they use analytics to run Kelly between the tackles? How is the determination for the play call made?
                  The analytics model is only as good as the information fed. The model obviously has limitations with the technology being used
                  today. That's where coaching experience and the human factors come into play.

The model says you should be able to pick up a 1st down with one yard to go. It also says you should be able to stop a team
                  from scoring a TD 60 yards away with no time outs with 1:40 left. The relative differences in the two cases is related to probability It's not
                  enough when considering the alternative. You don't make it the chances of losing become quite high. Risk factor means you're
                  gambling. We gambled and won. Next time we could easily lose.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Donald Parham is 6' 8", in short yardage, low man wins. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop running the same play out of super-wing alignment. I'm just going to assign another TE, have him been his knees and get after his man.

Any thoughts on seeing RT Trey Pipkens completely whiff + fall to his knees? That's a bigger issue, by far.
                    Slater did poorly of holding his man off every bit as much as Parham did. I don't know what Linsley and Zion were doing. It was an all around bad job by everyone blocking on that play.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

I'm going to stop posting on this thread soon enough but all these videos are Vikings-game specific and I want to know where they are if I need to refer back to them.
                      Here is a great great breakdown from Warner.
                      Too much good stuff.
                      Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• charger1_sj
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2022
                        • Send PM

I don't want anyone to misunderstand me. I love old-school values. I find people over 50 typically more interesting, deep and genuine than those under 40. And I think people from forty years ago actually lived, compared to all of us today stuck to our screens. I sure don't like many of the things tech has done to our culture, or is about to do with AI.

But facts are facts. Analytics in sports is about rationality over fear-based, or false-intuition-based decision making. It's making big-time money and it's changing who gets hired in front offices and coaching jobs for a reason. It works. Fighting it is pointless and hopeless.

I love Bill Parcells and want to call attention to that fact that he's given $4 million of his personal money to former players who have gotten themselves in a bad way. This was in the news recently. He changed a lot of his players entire lives with old school principles and tough love. I just wouldn't expect him to suddenly adopt something so foreign as analytics. Same for any retired coach like Jimmy Johnson.
                        Analytics is about math. It takes the human element out of the equation. It has it's place but lets not over react. It's not a cure all or 100% solution. It is a model.
                        Like all models the accuracy is only as good as the information fed.

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Minnesota - Right Tackle Trey Pipkens whiffs on his man on the most important snap of the game, falling to his knees.

https://www.nfl.com/news/rb-austin-ekeler-on-chargers-inability-to-finish-games-it-s-just-straight-up-inc

RB Austin Ekeler on Chargers inability to finish games: 'It's just straight-up inconsistency'

​#TreyPipkens

Comment

Working...
                          X