• Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    The one thing which is being completely ignored, what are the CTE and concussion risks in other sports? Everyone is so focused on football, that the real crime is that other sports are underreporting concussions and people feel safe when they aren't. I had more concusions in track (especially indoor) than I did playing youth soccer and football.

Part of it will still be due to underreporting. I just don't think most people really know what the symptoms are even now, but especially back prior to a few years ago. People may be surprised that there is a much higher risk of concussions in all sports then people realize. I had a lot of friends who played soccer and complained of symptoms that we now recognize as a concussion, that back then they were just told to shake off, sspecially girls.

Also, I find it interesting to note that one of the few sports that has taken a more serious line on concussions has been rugby, but despite that, they have a much lower incident of concussions than many other sports. I am sure Rugby is underreporting some, I think everyone is, but it is just as much a contact sport, and there is NO pads or helmets. But even the goof off club teams I have seen seem to take technique fairly serious, and a lot of false bravado type of crap is just not as prevelent as in football. If I was the NFL, I would be trying to figure out if any of that is true, and if so, you have your answer to making football safer.
    not having a helmet forces players to tackle differently. Youth Rugby teaches to takcle with the outside shoulder and put your head to side. Not saying there are no concussions, just that there would be less when fundamentals are different.

Comment

• FoutsFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Birmingham AL
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      The one thing which is being completely ignored, what are the CTE and concussion risks in other sports? Everyone is so focused on football, that the real crime is that other sports are underreporting concussions and people feel safe when they aren't. I had more concusions in track (especially indoor) than I did playing youth soccer and football.

Part of it will still be due to underreporting. I just don't think most people really know what the symptoms are even now, but especially back prior to a few years ago. People may be surprised that there is a much higher risk of concussions in all sports then people realize. I had a lot of friends who played soccer and complained of symptoms that we now recognize as a concussion, that back then they were just told to shake off, sspecially girls.

Also, I find it interesting to note that one of the few sports that has taken a more serious line on concussions has been rugby, but despite that, they have a much lower incident of concussions than many other sports. I am sure Rugby is underreporting some, I think everyone is, but it is just as much a contact sport, and there is NO pads or helmets. But even the goof off club teams I have seen seem to take technique fairly serious, and a lot of false bravado type of crap is just not as prevelent as in football. If I was the NFL, I would be trying to figure out if any of that is true, and if so, you have your answer to making football safer.
      Its far worse in women's soccer yet where is the outrage?

Comment

• SuperCharged
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Utah
        • Midnight Toker
        • Send PM

If this was truly a concern from fans and medical professionals. Then how IS CTE not a conversation in Boxing and MMA? You are supposed to knock people out in boxing and MMA last time I checked..

Bottom line these are adults that understand the risk/reward of their craft.

I am sorry but I may be a little ignorant here, but if someone approached me with a 50 million dollar contract with a disclaimer that I could end up suffering from temporary or permanent CTE. My reply would be WHERE'S THE DOTTED LINE TO SIGN?

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
          If this was truly a concern from fans and medical professionals. Then how IS CTE not a conversation in Boxing and MMA? You are supposed to knock people out in boxing and MMA last time I checked..

Bottom line these are adults that understand the risk/reward of their craft.

I am sorry but I may be a little ignorant here, but if someone approached me with a 50 million dollar contract with a disclaimer that I could end up suffering from temporary or permanent CTE. My reply would be WHERE'S THE DOTTED LINE TO SIGN?
          Not me. I think most young players don't understand what exactly they are giving up until it (CTE issues) actually starts happening to them. Basically they are young and dumb ( like most of us) when they get involved in football. Then reality finally strikes. How old was Seau?

Comment

• SuperCharged
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2019
            • Utah
            • Midnight Toker
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

Not me. I think most young players don't understand what exactly they are giving up until it (CTE issues) actually starts happening to them. Basically they are young and dumb ( like most of us) when they get involved in football. Then reality finally strikes. How old was Seau?
            That's wrong. Young players are thoroughly educated through the rookie symposiums throughout the league. Also there are about 50 different styles of helmets now days for them to choose from that offer the best protection according to their head shape and size.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Send PM

That's wrong. Young players are thoroughly educated through the rookie symposiums throughout the league. Also there are about 50 different styles of helmets now days for them to choose from that offer the best protection according to their head shape and size.
              Your aware of "denial"?

Comment

• SuperCharged
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Utah
                • Midnight Toker
                • Send PM

Your aware of "denial"?
                Are you aware of education? That is what the whole transition is about. So if they take that information to heart or not is up to the PLAYER.

Funny comment however.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Send PM

Are you aware of education? That is what the whole transition is about. So if they take that information to heart or not is up to the PLAYER.

Funny comment however.
                  If someone isn't as able to process said educational information due to their brains not being fully developed (usually happens around age 25 - 30) then they may not be capable of rationally facing the pitfalls of a career in the NFL. I referred to it as denial but perhaps a better descriptor might be young and still kinda dumb. I'm not sure how else to put it since the difference in brain development from a teen or early 20-something's brain still has more fine-tuning in the prefrontal cortex where logic/reasoning/decision-making is produced. That's science. I'm sorry.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Many don't listen. They also talk about women preying on them because of their money and they still nail anything they can.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Utah
                      • Midnight Toker
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Many don't listen. They also talk about women preying on them because of their money and they still nail anything they can.
                      I don't disagree. They are young adults and if they refuse to listen then that is on them.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Utah
                        • Midnight Toker
                        • Send PM

If someone isn't as able to process said educational information due to their brains not being fully developed (usually happens around age 25 - 30) then they may not be capable of rationally facing the pitfalls of a career in the NFL. I referred to it as denial but perhaps a better descriptor might be young and still kinda dumb. I'm not sure how else to put it since the difference in brain development from a teen or early 20-something's brain still has more fine-tuning in the prefrontal cortex where logic/reasoning/decision-making is produced. That's science. I'm sorry.
                        OMG are you serious? Last time I checked football is around 120 years old. But now all the sudden our fragile minded young athletes can't process education/information because their brains aren't fully developed. HAHHAAHHA that is awesome! Ok then we should move the age of consent for rookies to 25 and above. No pro football players under 25. Make it law.

Now back to reality. You saying someone isn't able to process information because of their still developing brain is just not reality. Most college graduates are 22-24. How is that possible? According to what you are trying to say that shouldn't be possible their brains that are still in development. That lack of development shouldn't allow them logical thought and retention. College grads must be "kinda dumb" still. Then they shouldn't own a degree.

Such a weak argument over head injuries that have been around since football began. The FACTS are players with lingering and long term effects of brain injuries is a very small percentage. The vast majority live very comfortable lives after football. Again I believe most any forwarding thinking person that would take a multi million dollar contract knowing full well the risks involved. And if you are telling me that a 21 year that has played football since childhood to now doesn't comprehend the risks involved with playing football then you sir are a fool. Of course they understand it's a collision sport and there are risks involved. To say they don't is insulting to their underdeveloped minds. *rolleyes*

Comment

• Budsman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

OMG are you serious? Last time I checked football is around 120 years old. But now all the sudden our fragile minded young athletes can't process education/information because their brains aren't fully developed. HAHHAAHHA that is awesome! Ok then we should move the age of consent for rookies to 25 and above. No pro football players under 25. Make it law.

Now back to reality. You saying someone isn't able to process information because of their still developing brain is just not reality. Most college graduates are 22-24. How is that possible? According to what you are trying to say that shouldn't be possible their brains that are still in development. That lack of development shouldn't allow them logical thought and retention. College grads must be "kinda dumb" still. Then they shouldn't own a degree.

Such a weak argument over head injuries that have been around since football began. The FACTS are players with lingering and long term effects of brain injuries is a very small percentage. The vast majority live very comfortable lives after football. Again I believe most any forwarding thinking person that would take a multi million dollar contract knowing full well the risks involved. And if you are telling me that a 21 year that has played football since childhood to now doesn't comprehend the risks involved with playing football then you sir are a fool. Of course they understand it's a collision sport and there are risks involved. To say they don't is insulting to their underdeveloped minds. *rolleyes*
                          I agree! Heck while we’re at it why not add lions and weapons? It’s their choice so who cares! It won’t be poor young people willing to take the risk more often than rich young people so there is no imbalance at all and it’s completely moral.

Death Reaction GIF

Comment

Working...
                          X