• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Den60
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
    I'm thinking the Texans are looking ahead to the next game on their sched and McCoy wants to make a statement to start the new era.
    Teams don't usually look past the first game of the season.

Comment

• Yubaking
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
      I'm not worried about the Chiefs.

1. Andy Reid doesn't run the ball.
      2. Their best player is an oft injured running back.
      3. Their QB is best in a run first offense.
      4. Did you see the Chiefs play last year? They were bad. I mean...Raiders bad. They had the first pick for a reason. Andy Reid and Alex Smith don't launch them near the top of this division.
      Yes, they did have the first pick for a reason--their QB position was horrible. Now they have a solid game manager QB that has excelled at avoiding big mistakes in recent years (just 10 INTs in 2011 and 2012 combined), which is what killed the Chiefs last year (tied for dead last in turnover differential at -24). They were a top 5 rushing team last year and added the top OT in this year's draft. And they have a stable of good RBs. The oft injured RB has one of the highest YPC numbers in the history of the NFL. While their defense didn't finish that well last year, they do have some good young players that may play a little bit better without always being under pressure from turnovers.

Andy Reid is not an idiot. I am sure that he realizes that Smith is a good game manager QB. If used right, he won't lose the game for them, but he may not be primarily responsible for winning too many games either. Because Reid is not an idiot, he is going to run the ball and get the ball into the hands of his talented RBs in the short passing game. I would be shocked if the Chiefs employed heavy use of the vertical passing game. That would be stupid given their personnel.

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see the Chiefs in the hunt for a wild card. They play a last place schedule that isn't that difficult. Looking at it, they could go 9-7 (splitting with us). I am not sure if that would get them into the playoffs, but they would definitely be in the hunt.

Comment

• Den60
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
        Yes, they did have the first pick for a reason--their QB position was horrible. Now they have a solid game manager QB that has excelled at avoiding big mistakes in recent years (just 10 INTs in 2011 and 2012 combined), which is what killed the Chiefs last year (tied for dead last in turnover differential at -24). They were a top 5 rushing team last year and added the top OT in this year's draft. And they have a stable of good RBs. The oft injured RB has one of the highest YPC numbers in the history of the NFL. While their defense didn't finish that well last year, they do have some good young players that may play a little bit better without always being under pressure from turnovers.

Andy Reid is not an idiot. I am sure that he realizes that Smith is a good game manager QB. If used right, he won't lose the game for them, but he may not be primarily responsible for winning too many games either. Because Reid is not an idiot, he is going to run the ball and get the ball into the hands of his talented RBs in the short passing game. I would be shocked if the Chiefs employed heavy use of the vertical passing game. That would be stupid given their personnel.

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see the Chiefs in the hunt for a wild card. They play a last place schedule that isn't that difficult. Looking at it, they could go 9-7 (splitting with us). I am not sure if that would get them into the playoffs, but they would definitely be in the hunt.
        I concur.

Sorry about what that will do to your rep on here...

Comment

• TTK
          EX-Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • America's Finest City
          • Send PM

I still don't get the Chiefs hype.

On paper, pairing a pass happy Andy Reid with a limited QB like Alex Smith is a disaster.

Their issues last year weren't just limited to Cassel. The entire team was highly overrated. And Alex Smith ain't no Donovan McNabb or even a Michael Vick (as bad as he's been). Not even close.

It's like they're trying to shoot for 8-8 every year and never try to truly rebuild that team.

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
            We just gave up 8.27 ypc to Arizona's starter and 2nd stringer (who had to come if for their starter when said guy hurt his knee). Arizona looked up at the rest of the league last year when it came to rushing offense. I don't consider that to be a very stout run defense.
            If you really want to bring preseason stats into play, we are ranked 4th overall in total defense this preseason. I don't really put much stock into preseason stuff, I look at the individuals. Whoever plays at OLB will be an upgrade over Philips in run defense. Whoever plays at RDE will be an upgrade over Martin in run defense. If preseason schemes carry over to the regular season, Liuget will be moved to RDE for run downs which will make for a very stout edge with him playing next to JJ.

Bird has been a huge liability in run D though, if he's playing, we'll have issues.
            Last edited by Beerman; 08-26-2013, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
              If you really want to bring preseason stats into play, we are ranked 4th overall in total defense this preseason.
              Thanks to Bront Bird.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                Thanks to Bront Bird.
                Your man love for him is endearing

Comment

• Den60
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                  If you really want to bring preseason stats into play, we are ranked 4th overall in total defense this preseason. I don't really put much stock into preseason stuff, I look at the individuals. Whoever plays at OLB will be an upgrade over Philips in run defense. Whoever plays at RDE will be an upgrade over Martin in run defense. If preseason schemes carry over to the regular season, Liuget will be moved to RDE for run downs which will make for a very stout edge with him playing next to JJ.

Bird has been a huge liability in run D though, if he's playing, we'll have issues.
                  Freeney is not an upgrade to anyone in rush defense. I like Reyes but he isn't good against the run. If I were to see the Chargers put Luiget and JJ on the same side I would run to the other side.

Comment

Working...
                  X