Clear All
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

Wat
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
      Wat
      Wat's on second.
      PED's on first.

Comment

• Highboltage
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bleeding Vagina Who Should Be GM View Post
        Wat's on second.
        PED's on first.
        HGH catching?

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bleeding Vagina Who Should Be GM View Post
          I am just as prone to throw for 3,000 yards this coming year as Philip Rivers is. I mean, just because I have yet to throw a spiral farther than 10 yards in the air and have missed work due to allergies and Phish concerts says nothing about how I'd do this coming season with millions of guaranteed dollars against the cap.

Again I'll ask - if past injuries don't matter, why didn't we keep Ryan Mathews?
          We did make an offer.

I'm not saying it doesn't matter, but everyone gets hurt some, it's a contact sport. At least I am suggesting you are over reacting to it.

To me the reason to not offer Mathews a contract is as much about his lack of production as it is his injury issues. Mathews still has fumble problems, and has some consistency problems. He has rare talent as a runner, but despite near elite combination of speed and power, plus more than enough wiggle, yet the guy is only a good, not great RB. And you are alsways worried about his inconsistent pass protection. And the worst part is that he was still struggling with these issues coming in as a rookie. IN a lot of ways, Mathews just never got any better, and that is why we low balled him, IMHO.

Keenan Allen was the best WR in football before he went down last year. He was beating coverages designed to stop him and was flat out dominating in 8 games. Time will tell if he can keep it up, but given how much better he has gotten over the 3 years, he looks like he just keep getting better and better. And that is why you reward a receiver who you develop, comes into the prime of his career and has outplayed his contract each year. The contract we offer Allen is not outrageous. I still don't understand why this is such an issue to people.

Allen missed 3 games prior to this season, and has lead the Chargers in receiving yards his rookie year, and has been close to leading it both other years. Last year was a fluke injury.

Unless the contract we gave Allen is very different from the ones Liuget and Butler got, there are ways out for the team if he doesn't perform. Plus, we kinda need someone to throw to.

The way you deal with it is by adjusting the offer, not letting your best players go because you are running scared about injuries.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

The injury bug strikes again, as it’s being reported that Ravens WR Breshad Perriman suffered a partially torn ACL in his left knee. Perriman missed all of his rookie season with a partial tear in his right PCL. While season-ending surgery has yet to be confirmed, that seems the most likely course of action for this particular injury.
            This was the guy I wanted to draft last year. Luck is with me, we didn't get him.

But the injury bug plays no favorites. Put down your money and take your chances.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• chargerkdb
              Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Hotter than hell, Georgia
              • Send PM

KA worth every penny

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                We did make an offer.

I'm not saying it doesn't matter, but everyone gets hurt some, it's a contact sport. At least I am suggesting you are over reacting to it.

To me the reason to not offer Mathews a contract is as much about his lack of production as it is his injury issues. Mathews still has fumble problems, and has some consistency problems. He has rare talent as a runner, but despite near elite combination of speed and power, plus more than enough wiggle, yet the guy is only a good, not great RB. And you are alsways worried about his inconsistent pass protection. And the worst part is that he was still struggling with these issues coming in as a rookie. IN a lot of ways, Mathews just never got any better, and that is why we low balled him, IMHO.

Keenan Allen was the best WR in football before he went down last year. He was beating coverages designed to stop him and was flat out dominating in 8 games. Time will tell if he can keep it up, but given how much better he has gotten over the 3 years, he looks like he just keep getting better and better. And that is why you reward a receiver who you develop, comes into the prime of his career and has outplayed his contract each year. The contract we offer Allen is not outrageous. I still don't understand why this is such an issue to people.

Allen missed 3 games prior to this season, and has lead the Chargers in receiving yards his rookie year, and has been close to leading it both other years. Last year was a fluke injury.

Unless the contract we gave Allen is very different from the ones Liuget and Butler got, there are ways out for the team if he doesn't perform. Plus, we kinda need someone to throw to.

The way you deal with it is by adjusting the offer, not letting your best players go because you are running scared about injuries.
                Ryan Mathews never got any better?

Look, I wanted Mathews gone because his injuries made him unreliable. But dude clearly got better when he played.

He couldn't pass block at all when he first started. During his final two years with us, he still wasn't good, but he did throw at least a few blocks.

He was a horrible fumbler when he first started. By his last year with us, he fumbled once in six games and fumbled only twice in 16 games the year before that.

And I'd argue that Mathews was as great runner.

Let's compare Mathews to his teammates.

Last year, Mathews ran for 5 yards per carry. DeMarco Murray got 3.6 yards per carry.

In 2014, Ryan Mathews averaged 4.5 yards per carry. Branden Oliver averaged 3.6.

In 2013, Mathews averaged 4.4 yards per carry, and Woodhead averaged 4.

In 2012, Mathews got 3.8 yards per carry , and Jackie Battle got 3.3.

In 2011, Mathews averaged 4.9 yards, and Mike Tolbert gained 4.0 per carry.

In 2010, Mathews got 4.3, and Tolbert got 4.0.

Now let's look at the top runners from last year, and let's see if they outperformed their teammates.

Adrian Peterson averaged 4.5 while teammate Jerrick McKinnon averaged 5.2.

Doug Martin averaged 4.9, and his teammate Charles Sims had the same average.

Todd Gurley got 4.8 while his teammate Tavon Austin got 8.3.

Ryan Mathews was one of the best runners in football when he played. I mean - for shit's sake, dude made it seem like our O'line could run block. Mathews just got injured too often - that's why we didn't try too hard to keep him.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2016, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

It's not that he didn't get any better, but for the most part, his major flaws as a rookie were all still issues when he left. He was on the verge of being a true featured RB after preseason his rookie year, nad he has never stepped up.

Mathews got a little better, but it just seemed like every time he was on the verge of really stepping up, he would screw up and then he was right back where he started. I don't give him too much credit for his final season with us, because he only had 70+ carries. And last year with Philly, 3 fumbles splitting time (100+ carries).

As far as the pass blocking, you basically described it yourself. The guy got better, but he went from awful to not very good. It isn't even the fact that he was better, he was inconsistent which means you cannot count on him. if the RB cannot pass block, then what good is he? Teams can just start run blitzing and take them out, which is exactly what happened to Mathews. if the offense tries to throw, and the RB cannot consistently pick it up, well, then the QB is not going to be effective. Football is a game of skills, and

What is supposed to be the point of the comparison? I agree, Mathews was/is a good runner. But he is a second rate players overall because he cannot play in the passing game, which is 65% of the game in the NFL. He is a second rate player because his skills don't match his physical tools. That is why we low balled him and let him walk, and it is why Allen is a much better prospect. He has skills, and has raised his game to become a top player. That is why we extended him when we did.

The other issue I have about regisning Allen later is that the injury thing is as settled as it is going to be. Let's say (hope) that he plays 1,000 plays next season, starting all 16 games and only being taken out to rest a bit. He will still have an injury history of note. He won't accomplish anything that puts that to rest with regards to a long term contract. If he can string several seasons together, then everyone will forget, but his contract will run out first.

The choice is to sign him now, or let him become a FA at the end of the season. If it had come to that, you relly think we would have won a bidding war? We don't get in bidding wars for players. It would have meant losing him. BEsides you sign the player before his rookie deal ends, you get it on your terms. A deal during FA after the rookie deal ends, the bonus money is all fully guareenteed, more up front and the player/agent will probably want more of it upfront. Again, we don't know the deal he got, but if you follow the LIuget and Butler deals, they are the kind we can walk away from, and you cannot do that later. The injury thing is a risk/reward thing, but the fact is we let him walk, we got nothin at WR until we develop a new WR, and that can take years.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

So why did we let Tolbert walk?
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

We offered Tolbert more than Carolina did.
                      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                      sigpic

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        BetterToday ThanYesterday
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Which Chargers WR was NOT injured last year and missed games? Johnson? Floyd? Inman? Allen? jones? Answer to all of them is Nope. They all missed time. I guess they should all be cut. Keep Herndon because he was healthy.
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                          SLAM DUNK!
                          • Jun 2013
                          • East County San Diego
                          • Bolt fanatic
                          • Send PM

I would feel better about this season if we had Ryan Mathews instead of Melvin Gordon honestly.

But whatever on Keenan's injuries. He has proven to be an elite player when on the field. Malcolm Floyd was injury prone too and not nearly as good and look how long he lasted as a bolt...was it a mistake giving him a contract? Keenan has proven to be vital to this offense so it is good we locked him up even if he does miss some games.
                          migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

Working...
                          X