• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KNSD
    Registered Charger Hater
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ratenstein
    The question is: was he worth extending given his durability problems?
    Hey, you're not AJ Smith are you?
    That's a perfectly valid question, but my point was that he improved greatly.

Maybe Lightning meant that his first year was his best because he was healthy for all games and I misread it?
    Prediction:
    Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
    Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
    Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• KNSD
      Registered Charger Hater
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
      And i say again, ignorant statement. What he did last season was pretty damn good considering the terible OL, that fact he stayed healthy and his numbers. Cant do by yourself with limited talent around you on both sides of the ball. He gave us leads in many games only to have the defense give it away.

I wonder how many SB rings he would have with a competent franchise.
      He was pretty damn good last year. But he's a pretty damn good QB. A wash.

Edit: Yeah, it sucks this team is so bad that not even a franchise level QB can help them get more than 4 wins last year.
      Last edited by KNSD; 09-13-2016, 10:09 AM.
      Prediction:
      Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Yeah, but he only fell to us where he did because he was still recovering from a knee injury at his pro day after not working out at the combine.
        It was a knee strain and he ran slower because of it. Dont care why he fell to us. That happens all the time in the draft and sometimes hurt guys with worse injuries still go high, like McGahee but its rare. Jerry Jones takes chances on other types of risks and looks like he isnt winning that choice very often.

Comment

• KNSD
          Registered Charger Hater
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Ok. I concede that a much more skilled football player will spend the next 15 games on IR.

The problem was here from the start though. Marcus McNeill fall in the draft, we extended him to a six year contract... that didn't work out so well.
          We've seen this picture before. Like when AJ and Norv banked on Bob Sanders durability. Keenan Allen only kicked so much asshis rookie year because he was forced into action when both D.Alexander & Floyd were on IR by week 2.
          I'm with you on the durability front wrt picking up players. Chargers have historically put very little weight on injury history.
          Prediction:

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Ok. I concede that a much more skilled football player will spend the next 15 games on IR.

The problem was here from the start though. Marcus McNeill fell in the draft due to medical concerns, we extended him to a six year contract... that didn't work out so well.
            We've seen this picture before. Like when AJ and Norv banked on Bob Sanders durability. Keenan Allen only kicked so much ass his rookie year because he was forced into action when both D.Alexander & Floyd were on IR by week 2.
            Injuries are hard to predict. He now seems to be injury prne but i dont fault them for extending him. I do fault them for not drafting a WR two years ago in a loaded class and hated the Watt pick while Moncrief was on the board. Now our WR corps isnt looking too good. Good teams make the right moves and seems NE is always getting extra picks. SF traded recently for Kerley only a week ago and he made 9 catches last night. Time for us to make a trade. Burse isnt gong to cut it.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Allen was clearly worth the 3rd rounder, but why he fell was relevant to extending him, as are all of the injuries since then.
              Yeah, I'm waiting to see how that works out for the cowpies with J.Smith. Gurley was drafted hurt as well and his rookie year was pretty good statistically... but I'd want to make damn sure I protected myself if I decided to extend him.
              I dont think why he fell should have anything to do with us extending him. His NFL injuries should. Troy Polomala was injured often in college but not as much in the NFL. You cant predict injuries, they can happen at anytime. Look at Bridewater. Injured in practice, out for maybe two years.

Comment

• Faded blues
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2013
                • Send PM

This team is thin at every position.

I was hoping by telescos 4 year we would have a deeper roster.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                  Injuries are hard to predict. He now seems to be injury prne but i dont fault them for extending him. I do fault them for not drafting a WR two years ago in a loaded class and hated the Watt pick while Moncrief was on the board. Now our WR corps isnt looking too good. Good teams make the right moves and seems NE is always getting extra picks. SF traded recently for Kerley only a week ago and he made 9 catches last night. Time for us to make a trade. Burse isnt gong to cut it.
                  I think who gets injured is less hard to predict if they have a history getting injured, so I do have to fault them for extending him. But it seems like players and coaches feel like they are entitled to contract extensions, so if we hadn't extended him would he have turned pouty shit-talker and half-assed this year anyway? I'm with you on the draft and the current state of the WRs. In that respect, this was an AJ-like situation where they were banking too heavily on KA's health, and S.Johnson who looked like he was already on the downside of his career when we got him. A couple of years ago, NE's WR situation was bad and they still managed to win, so it's not like it's an impossible situation for us. That seems a tall order though. I hope these young guys develop real fast.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post
                    This team is thin at every position.

I was hoping by telescos 4 year we would have a deeper roster.
                    The problem was that he had to blow up the older, crappy roster and replace it with a ton of young players. We'll see if they develop, but the old saying that the only thing worse than a team being young and bad is being old and bad.

Comment

• Boltx
                      Dominate the day
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                      The problem was that he had to blow up the older, crappy roster and replace it with a ton of young players. We'll see if they develop, but the old saying that the only thing worse than a team being young and bad is being old and bad.
                      4 years in the NFL is an eternity, though. Where's the results?
                      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                        4 years in the NFL is an eternity, though. Where's the results?
                        We still don't know what the 4th year will result will be. The roster was old and saddled with a lot of bad contracts when he took over (and he whiffed on a few himself) that took a couple of years to clear out from. The year before TT took over, we were the oldest team in the league. We are now the 9th youngest (and that is skewed a bit by Mebane, Clemens, Gates and Rivers). 22 of the players on the roster are in their first or second year. 31 players have 3 or less years experience. That is a ton of players still growing into their positions.

The coaching staff is also affecting things - a lot of people think replacing McCoy would instantly make the team better, which makes the argument that the talent is under performing and affecting the results. I think it's pretty obvious this will be his last year if we don't show marked improvement.

Now TT hired McCoy so he should take the heat if McCoy doesn't quickly turn things around. But from what the local press have indicated, if McCoy is fired this year TT will get one more chance at hiring his replacement. There are still holes on the team and we have had some bad luck on the injury front, but I think we are headed in the right direction.

Comment

• homeless simpson
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

He was only saddled with bad contracts for the first two years (or do people not remember in 2013 when the in McCoy/telesco we trust bandwagon was in full swing, people were salivating over what tom would be able to do once those bad contracts were gone, how he'll finally be able to put his stamp on the team) and the "old" roster that he inherited that gets talked about as a big handicap that's holding him back...well, isn't that the same roster that last made the playoffs, hell the ONLY roster he's had that made the playoffs so far. Any and all cap issues he's had from the 2015 season and on are his screw ups.

Comment

Working...
                          X