• Show
Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

I agree with the writer and have stated here for 2 years now we depend on Rivers too much instead of building a complete team that doesn't require a GREAT QB to win games consistently and win a Super Bowl. Far more great defense/great running game teams win the Super Bowl. Rivers is Dan Marino. We had a better winning record and more success in the AJ years through 2007 riding LT and the running game than we have had since NOrv decided to convert the team to a Rivers dominated passing team. How many double digit winning seasons have we had since 2009? Rivers has started every games as our QB since 2006 and we have a downhill trend when he has too much control and influence over the offense. Put the handcuffs on him like 2013 when Wiz was OC and watch our offense gain consistency and become a real strength again.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Show me is valid every season for every team. While those of us here who closely follow the understand what areas we struggled in, we also see how they have been addressed. Injuries to either line or to Rivers would obviously kill us, but all teams have that issue.

Comment

• Maverick
        (Coryellian)
        • Jun 2013
        • Point Loma
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
        I agree with the writer and have stated here for 2 years now we depend on Rivers too much instead of building a complete team that doesn't require a GREAT QB to win games consistently and win a Super Bowl. Far more great defense/great running game teams win the Super Bowl. Rivers is Dan Marino. We had a better winning record and more success in the AJ years through 2007 riding LT and the running game than we have had since NOrv decided to convert the team to a Rivers dominated passing team. How many double digit winning seasons have we had since 2009? Rivers has started every games as our QB since 2006 and we have a downhill trend when he has too much control and influence over the offense. Put the handcuffs on him like 2013 when Wiz was OC and watch our offense gain consistency and become a real strength again.

BOOOO!

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Rivers is the best quarterback. He just needs an offensive line.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

What the writer fails to grasp:

If the Oline gets hit with multiple injuries again, won't matter who the OC is we wil go with the best chance we've got for positive yards every play, and that's Rivers. Both last season at this time and now, TT did/has done a pretty good job of investing FA money and draft picks to help not only the running game but the passing game too. So disagree with the writer that changes have not been made (that's his implication), but agree with the Duh Ralph sentiment it's got to show up on the field. So pretty stupid article (thanks Jim &#128522.

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              What the writer fails to grasp:

If the Oline gets hit with multiple injuries again, won't matter who the OC is we wil go with the best chance we've got for positive yards every play, and that's Rivers. Both last season at this time and now, TT did/has done a pretty good job of investing FA money and draft picks to help not only the running game but the passing game too. So disagree with the writer that changes have not been made (that's his implication), but agree with the Duh Ralph sentiment it's got to show up on the field. So pretty stupid article (thanks Jim ��).
              I think the writer is implying the team is going with the "let's let Rivers do everything" plan, and he supports his argument by referencing "other NFL executives" who share this opinion. Seems to me that even if they had the Hogs from the Redskins it remains to be seen (in the writer's opinion) that it equates to a definite change of philosophy. I don't think that's unreasonable to put out there.

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                I think the writer is implying the team is going with the "let's let Rivers do everything" plan, and he supports his argument by referencing "other NFL executives" who share this opinion. Seems to me that even if they had the Hogs from the Redskins it remains to be seen (in the writer's opinion) that it equates to a definite change of philosophy. I don't think that's unreasonable to put out there.
                ^^This^^. I don't agree with the writer we haven't added more talent in important places and we have reason for optimism going into this year. The Broncos IMO will plummet back to the pack on QBing alone while other teams ascend for parity.

Comment

• SDFan
                  Woober Goober
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Dolores, CO
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                  BOOOO!
                  Boo, who? Rivers 1st trip to the AFC Championship Game was the closest he's ever gotten us the Super Bowl. It was also the year he was expected to do the least while we had a great OL and record setting HOF RB and a superior regular season winning HC to anything we've had since. The more load they put on Rivers and the more freedom they've given him to run the offense- the farther we've gotten from the Championship game. Facts speak for themselves here brother. Dan Marino can't get us over the hump even with a good OL and running game.

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

I think what I got out of this is that the perception - amongst outsiders - seems to be that the organization is CONTENT trying to rest every season on Rivers' back, and let the chips fall as they may. I, like SDfan (and unlike TLW... I refuse to call him by his new handle), believe that Rivers' role MUST be reduced for this team to get to the next level. In fact, I think it's fair to say that Rivers has FAILED in that regard.

That's not really a knock on Rivers; it's a knock on the organization throughout Rivers' career.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Part of what sportswriters are bad about is that we didn't draft for need this year. And further they didn't like that we didn't draft best athlete, we draft most productive player. So, we added the best player who is super productive and not an area of greatest need. But that is the Chargers new philosphy. Draft for the best players and don't worry about needs, sinc ethey change quickly. And don't worry about being the best athelete, since most of them don't develop.

As far as adding help for Rivers, we try to do that every year. Either by making the D better, to try and keep the games closer, or by adding weapons to score more directly. THe biggest problem is that it hasn't worked all that well. The thing you have to ask yourself is whether or not the teams drafting is bad, coaching to develop talent is bad, or both. Ultimately, good franchises are about player development. Until we fix that, we are by defnitition, a bottom tier franchise. Everything has to be about getting the best players on the field. Anything else shows why so many teams are just going through the motions.

Comment

• bonehead
                        Undrafted
                        • Jul 2013
                        • TBD
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                        I think what I got out of this is that the perception - amongst outsiders - seems to be that the organization is CONTENT trying to rest every season on Rivers' back, and let the chips fall as they may. I, like SDfan (and unlike TLW... I refuse to call him by his new handle).
                        Sure "Tucker"....whatevs
                        Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                          I think what I got out of this is that the perception - amongst outsiders - seems to be that the organization is CONTENT trying to rest every season on Rivers' back, and let the chips fall as they may. I, like SDfan (and unlike TLW... I refuse to call him by his new handle), believe that Rivers' role MUST be reduced for this team to get to the next level. In fact, I think it's fair to say that Rivers has FAILED in that regard.

That's not really a knock on Rivers; it's a knock on the organization throughout Rivers' career.
                          How did I get thrown into this? I said Rivers needs an offensive line. The offensive line is a pretty big deal.

I only have this new handle because I was called out for being too negative. If all I thought we needed was Rivers, I wouldn't have this nickname. I'd probably then be Dipshit Who was Happy With the GM's Work Last Year and the Year Before.
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2016, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X