Bears at Chargers (-9) Pregame Discussion (Wk 8)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Looks like Davis may be getting some snaps at WR since we are promoting another returner:

Comment

• Fleet 1
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Kauai
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Do you sense there is a lack of commitment on QJ's part? Is he one of those rookies who comes into the league believing his athletic talent is so superior he doesn't have to pay attention to learning the craft in the NFL? Is he just not focused, maybe not very mature? WRs in the NFL are asked to do a lot more than in college. Many talented WRs who were highly drafted don't make it in the NFL because they lack the commitment it takes to succeed at this level. I guess I am wondering if that is QJ. If were drafted in the 1st round and the two WRs (and TE) who were drafted right after me were becoming stars, and a 5th round pick was making me look over-drafted, I think I would redouble my efforts to be better just out of personal pride.
      It get a Kenneth Murray vibe. Like maybe the goal was to get there. Then expect it to be easy based on NCAA production. Kenneth was quick to point out the money and things he was buying. Played up the 3 year graduation...made sure we all watched him eat lunch at the 50 his first time at SoFi. QJ announced he was a starter before camp even started. He got right into the reward without earning it. You dont celebrate getting there. You celebrate kicking ass once you do get there. And you promote yourself after you earn that. This is not the NFL. Guys like Kenneth and QJ seemed to think that past production automatically translates. Come in humble..you wont get too mental when it doesnt happen. You come in cocky...announcing your presence...you get knocked down its hard to overcome that mentally. All sorts or reasons things ould be off with him. I honestly dont know so i dont want to sound like i do.

LT said....act like you have been there....and will get there again. Dont get to ahead of yourself or you will be humbled. Mike didnt have a killer rookie year either. 95 yards in 10 games. But he definitely didnt come into the league with concerns about contested catches.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

No, other receivers were more polished and pro-ready than QJ, but don't have as high of a ceiling as he does. It is disappointing that we aren't at least designing the occasional play to use his skills.

On another note, no Guyton this week:

I don't think they need to rush Guyton back for the Bears. Read my post above about the Bears' issue at safety. The Bears are already one of the porous pass defenses in the league. Their DB is coming into Sunday night banged up. If Herbert can't rip their secondary to shreds, there is something wrong that Guyton won't be able to fix.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post
          All the ingredients to spectacular loss are there for SNF.

Bears Random QB starting in primetime
          Bears offense playing better
          Bears defense holding teams to 20 pts 3 weeks in a row
          Chargers coming of 2 losses against big matchups
          Herbert playing awful for 3+ weeks
          Our defense finally losing by more than 1 score.
          Bosa saying he feels the best his ever been
          The list of names questionable for this game being as high as Mt Everest
          Ek and the rest of the locker room ready to revolt on Staley following their comments to media.

This loss could be the final nail in the coffin of Staley's Chargers career. Because the schedule gets alot harder after this.
          That would be the best thing to happen for this team. Fire Staley on Monday at 2-5 and see what you really have with this team.

We know Staley does nothing but screw up the defense but I have a feeling he also puts severe handcuffs on Kellen Moore's play calling. The offensive play calling is much too bad for any capable OC. The only way it could be that bad is if Staley's giving Moore a mandate for xx amount of runs per game etc.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

First game where our run defense will actually get tested. Is it a mirage or is it real?
            IMO, it's real. Kendricks has them lined up correctly, DL is playing their assignments, and Kendricks reads very well v the run.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

It get a Kenneth Murray vibe. Like maybe the goal was to get there. Then expect it to be easy based on NCAA production. Kenneth was quick to point out the money and things he was buying. Played up the 3 year graduation...made sure we all watched him eat lunch at the 50 his first time at SoFi. QJ announced he was a starter before camp even started. He got right into the reward without earning it. You dont celebrate getting there. You celebrate kicking ass once you do get there. And you promote yourself after you earn that. This is not the NFL. Guys like Kenneth and QJ seemed to think that past production automatically translates. Come in humble..you wont get too mental when it doesnt happen. You come in cocky...announcing your presence...you get knocked down its hard to overcome that mentally. All sorts or reasons things ould be off with him. I honestly dont know so i dont want to sound like i do.

LT said....act like you have been there....and will get there again. Dont get to ahead of yourself or you will be humbled. Mike didnt have a killer rookie year either. 95 yards in 10 games. But he definitely didnt come into the league with concerns about contested catches.
              This is the interview where he apparently says he already won a starting position - slide to the 11:00 min mark. He says he had already checked off his first box, getting named a starter? I can't really understand what he said. But he talks about getting named to the Pro Bowl and having 1,000 yards receiving as his rookie goals. When I see his body language on the field it looks like complacency to me. Maybe he is just in over his head right now, maybe it was too easy for him at TCU, and he wasn't prepared for how much more difficult it is in the NFL. I don't know either. I'm not writing him off, he may just need time to adjust, to get his head around everything. It feels like players such as Flowers, Addison, Nucua came into the league prepared to work a lot harder than they did in college, while QJ may have to learn that lesson. Hopefully he figures it out.

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

My WAG is that Herbert Doesn't trust QJ on jump balls. I think with Mike Williams Herbert believes that 9 out of ten times Mdub either comes down with the ball or at least causes an incompletion. Until QJ can come up with contested catches it's always going to be a problem. As I said before it's a flip of a coin when drafting a receiver in the first round where as at least 75% of the DBs drafted are at least serviceable in comparison.
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Boltgang74
                  We Are The Storm!
                  • Aug 2018
                  • Send PM

I still say he's been open more often than not watchin game film from YouTube especially last game and is not gettin targeted.Between this o line lookin like an embarrassment and Herbert locking in on first reads because of it he isn't gettin the ball so maybe that's where the complacent body language is comin from?Maybe he's startin to feel defeated.Would be pretty impressive for Staley and this front office to not just ruin Herbs career but a 1st rd WR too.

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

This game feels like the Browns game we lost under Lynn.
                    where we were struggling but were still expected to beat the worst team in the league!, and failed to do so.
                    I believe that game sealed Lynn's fate, and might do the same for Staley, as far as "the decision", but it won't happen until end of season.
                    Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
                      My WAG is that Herbert Doesn't trust QJ on jump balls. I think with Mike Williams Herbert believes that 9 out of ten times Mdub either comes down with the ball or at least causes an incompletion. Until QJ can come up with contested catches it's always going to be a problem. As I said before it's a flip of a coin when drafting a receiver in the first round where as at least 75% of the DBs drafted are at least serviceable in comparison.
                      Jump balls are not what QJ does well, so Herbert shouldn't expect QJ to catch jump balls like Mike does. But QJ does things well that Mike doesn't do as well, such as create separation and YAC. So it's up to OC Kellen Moore to have QJ run routes that will get him open and it's up to Herbert to find QJ and get him the ball when he has created separation.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                        We Are The Storm!
                        • Aug 2018
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
                        Stop throwin em jump balls then.A real coach works to their players strengths.Just sayin,he ain't Mike Dubb and shouldn't be shoe horned into a role he ain't good at.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                          We Are The Storm!
                          • Aug 2018
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Jump balls are not what QJ does well, so Herbert shouldn't expect QJ to catch jump balls like Mike does. But QJ does things well that Mike doesn't do as well, such as create separation and YAC. So it's up to OC Kellen Moore to have QJ run routes that will get him open and it's up to Herbert to find QJ and get him the ball when he has created separation.
                          Agreed.A real coach and OC creates schemes for their players.Simple.

Comment

Working...
                          X