Bears at Chargers (-9) Pregame Discussion (Wk 8)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

The other thing is the way we practice. Im not sure if new this year or not...but i read that we would run camp like we do practice during the season. And thats 1s vs scout teams. I live in Hawaii now so i have not been to a Staley camp. I may be off for sure. But you would think one way to get your young players up to speed is to let them face your teams best talent. Im sure there have been times in drills where that happens etc. But scrimmages...elevens/sevens/skeleton....you will see that. But the for the most part we ran our 1s vs backups all camp like we do during the season. I would have to search for that article but i did read that somewhere. Sort fo a red flag. When you look at the way we play? That is just something i think about. But also like Ekeler just said recently...this team has so many cameras around that it feels like a reality TV show. Another massive issue i beat the drum over. Ekeler probably pushing for a trade based on recent behavior.

Finesse team . . . . . . . . . .

Compare all this nonsense with the way KC & Reid handle their training camps . . . . . . . . . . no wonder we come up small
    Last edited by Lefty2SLO; 10-28-2023, 08:02 PM.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

The other thing is the way we practice. Im not sure if new this year or not...but i read that we would run camp like we do practice during the season. And thats 1s vs scout teams. I live in Hawaii now so i have not been to a Staley camp. I may be off for sure. But you would think one way to get your young players up to speed is to let them face your teams best talent. Im sure there have been times in drills where that happens etc. But scrimmages...elevens/sevens/skeleton....you will see that. But the for the most part we ran our 1s vs backups all camp like we do during the season. I would have to search for that article but i did read that somewhere. Sort fo a red flag. When you look at the way we play? That is just something i think about. But also like Ekeler just said recently...this team has so many cameras around that it feels like a reality TV show. Another massive issue i beat the drum over. Ekeler probably pushing for a trade based on recent behavior.

I remember Staley saying that he doesn't give his starters any preseason playing time because his practices better simulate actual games than preseason games. I have always thought that was a BS statement. Staley raves about his practices, after a loss in the press conference he talks about how hard his guys practice. I just think at this point Staley is delusional, what he believes about his team and his philosophy don't mesh with reality

I have also had issues with their obsession with social media. They seemed very pleased with themselves when their social media gets mentioned or wins an award, like it's their way of winning. The Spanoses seem to think they will build a fan following with social media. I say social media is meaningless if they don't win. Some don't agree, but this is where I am old school. If the team wins, the fans will come. No amount of social media is going create more fans if the team doesn't win.

Comment

• Caslon
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

It’s probably QJ’s practices that we’re not privy to as being the reason for his slow insertion into the offense. Something tells me he’s not exactly lighting it up at practices. I don’t wanna see him becoming another TT “pet project.” QJ at his present pace of production will certainly make TT look bad at season’s end, rookie or not. No #1 pick WR that I’m familiar with has been brought along as slowly. Not liking his reported bravado comments about himself either.

Comment

• Fleet 1
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Kauai
          • Send PM

Final 2 days of camp report on QJ

Quarterback Justin Herbert threw two interceptions in team drills. The first came in seven-on-seven and was not his fault. Herbert was looking for rookie receiver Quentin Johnston on an in-breaking route. Johnston slipped and fell. Asante Samuel Jr. was in coverage. Samuel picked it off for his fifth interception of training camp. Herbert threw his second interception in 11-on-11 drills during a live move-the-ball period. The first-team offense had moved into opposing territory. On a second-and-10 from the plus-25-yard line, Herbert tried to fit a fastball into a tight window over the middle to Keenan Allen. Safety JT Woods jumped the route and intercepted the pass for his first interception of camp.

4. “Inconsistent” is probably the best word to describe Johnston’s performance through camp. On top of the slip on Herbert’s first interception, Johnston had a bad drop on the opening play to the two-minute drill. He was wide open on a shallow out route. Herbert hit him in stride. But Johnston could not make the grab — something that has become a regular occurrence for the rookie in camp.
          Johnston had eight drops in his final season at TCU. This was the biggest weakness in his scouting report as he prepared for the NFL Draft. And some of those concerns are materializing in camp. On the final play of seven-on-seven, Herbert threw a dime down the sideline to Johnston. Cornerback Deane Leonard was in tight coverage. Still, Johnston should have made the play. He let that one through his hands as well. Johnston did have four catches in the practice. He had a strong contested catch over the middle off play action in the move-the-ball period, beating Davis. And in the two-minute drill, the Chargers went right back to him after the drop. Herbert hit Johnston on a shallow cross. He made that catch. Johnston has the capacity to catch the ball more consistently. He needs to work on that part of his game. Johnston did not work on the Jugs machine after practice. Allen, Williams and tight end Gerald Everett all caught extra balls.
          Here is what offensive coordinator Kellen Moore had to say on Johnston after practice: “For any guy, it’s a process. He made some tremendous catches today. He made some tremendous contested catches. We will continue to build off of those. There will be mistakes, just like with any player. He will continue to work on it. We feel really fortunate to have him here, and he will definitely have a role for us as the season starts.”

Though Quentin Johnston’s talent is evident, drops have been an issue for him. (John McCoy / Getty Images)
          5. While Johnston goes through his ups and downs, Joshua Palmer continues to make regular plays. He had the best play of the day for the offense during the 11-on-11 move-the-ball period. On a second-and-8, Herbert stepped up to avoid pressure off the edge from Khalil Mack. Palmer was one-on-one with Samuel downfield on a post route. Herbert threw a bomb, and Palmer fought off Samuel to make the catch for a 50-yard gain. Palmer has been one of the offense’s most consistent performers in camp.​

​​​​​​• The second situational 11-on-11 period was a protect-the-lead drill. The starting offense got the ball at its own 35-yard line with 4:21 remaining in the game, leading by five. The unit went three-and-out and was forced to punt. Herbert tried to hit rookie Quentin Johnston over the middle at the sticks on a third-and-4. Johnston slipped, and the ball went off one of his hands. Backup quarterback Easton Stick then led a 70-yard go-ahead drive. He connected with Derius Davis for a touchdown on fourth-and-goal from the 3-yard line. Davis beat rookie linebacker Daiyan Henley on an out route. Herbert and the starters got the ball back with 1:23 remaining from their own 35. They drove 48 yards, firmly into field goal range for a game-winning field goal attempt with 4 seconds remaining. The big play was a pass interference on Michael Davis on a jump ball to Williams. This was a questionable call. The Chargers did not have Hopkins attempt what would have been the winning field goal from 35 yards out.​

Comment

• Kellyb72601
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Finesse team . . . . . . . . . .

Compare all this nonsense with the way KC & Reid handle their training camps . . . . . . . . . . no wonder we come up small
            This team is a finesse team in every sense, including culture. Notice how many players finish the games one week then end up on the injury report missing practices & the following weeks game? We have a couple of them this week. If you're healthy enough to finish a game you're not injured you're just hurt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7tdxSOhOXY

This team needs a total reset from the top on down. I really wish we could find another Dan Campbell that's exactly what this team needs from mentality to personnel to the training staff....everything

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
              It’s probably QJ’s practices that we’re not privy to as being the reason for his slow insertion into the offense. Something tells me he’s not exactly lighting it up at practices. I don’t wanna see him becoming another TT “pet project.” QJ at his present pace of production will certainly make TT look bad at season’s end, rookie or not. No #1 pick WR that I’m familiar with has been brought along as slowly. Not liking his reported bravado comments about himself either.
              Remember, QJ had a lot of drops in the PS...could be still dropping the ball in practice...

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                Los Angeles Chargers Elevate Alex Erickson

Why ? They don't even use DD and QJ !
                Must mean Palmer isn’t going?

Comment

• SAY OW 55
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2023
                  • Send PM

Seems like Eckler is a little bit more chippy then before. Seems like he’s always angry about something or hollering and it’s starting to go to his play on the field.

Comment

• Caslon
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Send PM

If ever there was a game and a team for QJ to start spreading his wings a bit, the Chicago Bears are that team. Are the coaches afraid he'll expose whatever shortcomings he has and make TT’s gamble look ill advised if they hold him back again?

Comment

• Eurobolt
                      *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Send PM

Rookie, undrafted QB, from D2 equals DJ Moore for 100+ yards and at least 1 TD vs Staley defence.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

No Game Day Thread?!
                        come on TPB, we got this.
                        LFG!!!
                        "Get Right Game"
                        Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• AFboltfan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2018
                          • Balboa Park bench
                          • Medical Simulation
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                          No Game Day Thread?!
                          come on TPB, we got this.
                          LFG!!!
                          "Get Right Game"
                          Every game is a "get right game", its getting old...

Comment

Working...
                          X