Clear All
  • Fleet 1
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Kauai
    • Send PM

Antonio Gates First Ballot HOF Finalist, Not Selected

Julius Peppers, Antonio Gates football Hall of Fame semifinalists

Three-time All-Pros Julius Peppers and Antonio Gates were chosen as semifinalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame's class of 2024 in their first year of eligibility.

Peppers and Gates headline a group of 25 modern-day semifinalists announced Tuesday by the Hall of Fame from a group of 173 nominees announced in September. The only other player who advanced to the semifinal stage in his first year of eligibility was running back Tiki Barber.

Eight players who made it to the final stage of 15 in the class of 2023 return as semifinalists this year, with Jared Allen, Dwight Freeney, Devin Hester, Andre Johnson, Torry Holt, Patrick Willis, Willie Anderson and Darren Woodson all looking to get in after falling short a year ago.

The other semifinalists are Eric Allen, Anquan Boldin, Jahri Evans, London Fletcher, Eddie George, James Harrison, Rodney Harrison, Robert Mathis, Steve Smith Sr., Fred Taylor, Hines Ward, Ricky Watters, Reggie Wayne and Vince Wilfork. Julius Peppers was an All-Pro in 2004, 2006 and 2010 during his 17-year career as a lineman. AP Photo/Rusty Jones
    The 28 semifinalists will be reduced to 15 finalists before the final voting process in January. The 15 finalists will be trimmed to 10 and then five during the selection meeting early next year. The final five candidates will need to get 80% of the votes from the panel to get into the Hall.

Peppers and Gates were both college basketball players before finding their greatest success in football.

Peppers was one of the league's most dominant linemen after being picked second overall by Carolina in 2002 following a two-sport career in college at North Carolina.

He had 12 sacks as a rookie and never really slowed down in a 17-year career that included stops in Chicago and Green Bay before ending with the Panthers. He was an All-Pro in 2004, 2006 and 2010.

Peppers finished his career with 159½ sacks -- the fourth most since they became official in 1982 -- and had 10 seasons with double-digit sacks. Only Hall of Famers Bruce Smith (13) and Reggie White (12) had more.

Gates played only basketball in college before turning into one of the NFL's top tight ends even though he only switched to football as a pro after going undrafted.

The Chargers took a chance on him and it paid off in a big way as he became an All-Pro in just his second season in 2004. He was All-Pro again the next two seasons and went on to have a 16-year career for the team.

Gates finished with 955 catches for 11,841 yards and an NFL record for tight ends with 116 touchdown receptions. Only Hall of Famer Tony Gonzalez and Jason Witten have more catches or yards as a tight end.

Four finalists previously announced are Buddy Parker in the coaching category, and Randy Gradishar, Steve McMichael and Art Powell in the senior category.

They also will get in if they get support from at least 80% of voters.
  • Boltinloudguy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2021
    • Send PM

Absolutely!!!

Now they need to ask him if he wants to be the TEs coach.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2022
      • Send PM

I don't know how Patrick Willis was not a first-ballot Hall of Famer. Eight years, six-time All-Pro, seven-time Pro Bowler. Some say it's because he didn't play long enough, yet Gale Sayers was a first-ballot Hall of Famer who played only 68 games in seven seasons. Calvin Johnson made fewer All-Pro teams and Pro Bowls than Willis in nine years and was a first-ballot Hall of Famer. Did Wills need to play three or four mediocre or worse seasons in addition to his outstanding eight years to have a long enough career to be a first-ballot? It makes no sense.

Longevity and statistics are on Gates' side. He also has the Pro Bowl and All-Pro honors to get in on the first ballot. I think Willis, Julius Peppers, Andre Johnson (look at the numbers he put up with David Carr and Matt Schaub as his quarterbacks), and Jahri Evans should join Gates as the inductees in 2024.
      Last edited by DerwinBosa; 11-29-2023, 12:28 AM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
        I don't know how Patrick Willis was not a first-ballot Hall of Famer. Eight years, six-time All-Pro, seven-time Pro Bowler. Some say it's because he didn't play long enough, yet Gale Sayers was a first-ballot Hall of Famer who played only 68 games in seven seasons. Calvin Johnson made fewer All-Pro teams and Pro Bowls than Willis in nine years and was a first-ballot Hall of Famer. Did Wills need to play three or four mediocre or worse seasons in addition to his outstanding eight years to have a long enough career to be a first-ballot? It makes no sense.

Longevity and statistics are on Gates' side. He also has the Pro Bowl and All-Pro honors to get in on the first ballot. I think Willis, Julius Peppers, Andre Johnson (look at the numbers he put up with David Carr and Matt Schaub as his quarterbacks), and Jahri Evans should join Gates as the inductees in 2024.
        Yeah thats a weak excuse.

Floyd Little is in. He played 9 years and only has 6300 rushing yards. Eddie George is on this list and he played 9 years. He isnt a HOF in my book. He only averaged 4 YPC or better twice. Career its 3.6. Only had 1 run over 50 yards. Yeah he has 10000+ yards but not dynamic at all imo. Just fed the ball often. One year he had 403 carries. Thats killing the guy.

Terrell Davis played 7 years and he is in. His last 3 years he was a shell of himself and still got in.

They have a bunch of moron writers who vote so its a crap shoot.

Comment

• PABolts
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2018
          • Send PM

First, I have been a Chargers fan my entire life. I have a Gates jersey and loved to watch him play.

I do have a question though about the HOF.
          Has a player been inducted to the NFL Hall of Fame that has been suspended for PED's?

Comment

• Boltx
            Dominate the day
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Gates is my most favorite Charger of all time.

Should be a no brainer.
            ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• DerwinBosa
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by PABolts View Post
              First, I have been a Chargers fan my entire life. I have a Gates jersey and loved to watch him play.

I do have a question though about the HOF.
              Has a player been inducted to the NFL Hall of Fame that has been suspended for PED's?
              Ray Lewis was never suspended for PEDs, but everyone knows he used deer antler spray that contained something against the rules.

That's a good question, though. I don't know of any of Hall of Famer who's been suspended for performance enhancing drugs. Von Miller will have to face that when his time is up, too.

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
                Let's do this!
                • Aug 2022
                • Raleigh N. Carolina
                • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Ray Lewis was never suspended for PEDs, but everyone knows he used deer antler spray that contained something against the rules.

That's a good question, though. I don't know of any of Hall of Famer who's been suspended for performance enhancing drugs. Von Miller will have to face that when his time is up, too.
                Refresh my memory about his suspension?

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Wasn't he suspended for murder?
                  jk.
                  P1. Block Destruction
                  P2. Shocking Effort
                  P3. Ball Disruption
                  P4. Obnoxious Communication

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
                    Let's do this!
                    • Aug 2022
                    • Raleigh N. Carolina
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                    Wasn't he suspended for murder?
                    jk.
                    No that was Snoop Dogg

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by OG619FrightninLightnin View Post

Refresh my memory about his suspension?
                      I guess I didn't remember that correctly. Von Miller was suspended six games in 2013 for violating the substance abuse policies, but it had nothing to do with PEDs.

I guess Gates is the only one.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                        The Precious
                        • May 2019
                        • Send PM

Gates gave me some of my best memories as a Chargers fan and he and Rivers were something together.

Comment

Working...
                        X