• Show
Clear All
  • Den60
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Oh, how I'd love to see this...

"Farmers' Almanac" predicts a "bitterly cold" winter

LEWISTON, Maine The Farmers' Almanac is using words like "piercing cold," "bitterly cold" and "biting cold" to describe the upcoming winter. And if its predictions are right, the first outdoor Super Bowl in years will be a messy "Storm Bowl."

The 197-year-old publication that hits newsstands Monday predicts a winter storm will hit the Northeast around the time the Super Bowl is played at MetLife Stadium in the Meadowlands in New Jersey. It also predicts a colder-than-normal winter for two-thirds of the country and heavy snowfall in the Midwest, Great Lakes and New England.

"We're using a very strong four-letter word to describe this winter, which is C-O-L-D. It's going to be very cold," said Sandi Duncan, managing editor.

Based on planetary positions, sunspots and lunar cycles, the almanac's secret formula is largely unchanged since founder David Young published the first almanac in 1818.

Modern scientists don't put much stock in sunspots or tidal action, but the almanac says its forecasts used by readers to plan weddings and plant gardens are correct about 80 percent of the time.

Last year, the forecast called for cold weather for the eastern and central U.S. with milder temperatures west of the Great Lakes. It started just the opposite but ended up that way.

Caleb Weatherbee, the publication's elusive prognosticator, said he was off by only a couple of days on two of the season's biggest storms: a February blizzard that paralyzed the Northeast with 3 feet of snow in some places and a sloppy storm the day before spring's arrival that buried parts of New England.

Readers who put stock in the almanac's forecasts may do well to stock up on long johns, especially if they're lucky enough to get tickets to the Super Bowl on Feb. 2. The first Super Bowl held outdoors in a cold-weather environment could be both super cold and super messy, with a big storm due Feb. 1 to 3, the almanac says.

Said Duncan: "It really looks like the Super Bowl may be the Storm Bowl."

The Maine-based Farmers' Almanac, not to be confused with the New Hampshire-based Old Farmer's Almanac, which will be published next month, features a mix of corny jokes, gardening tips, nostalgia and home remedies, like feeding carrots to dogs to help with bad breath and using mashed bananas to soothe dry, cracked skin in the winter.

Also in this year's edition, editor Peter Geiger is leading a campaign to get people to ditch the penny, like Canada is doing.

Past campaigns have focused on moving Thanksgiving to harvest time in October, reconsidering "The Star-Spangled Banner" as the national anthem and changing the color of money. This time, Geiger thinks he has a winner.

He wants people to donate pennies to charity and then lobby Congress to stop making them.

"They don't get used very much. They get tossed. The only real use of a penny is if you save tens of thousands of them, then you can use them to help someone," he said.
  • Beerman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Eastlake
    • Send PM

Easily one of the worst decisions the league has made in a while.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Is there an episode of "A Football Life" about this?

Comment

• Coachmarkos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • SoDak
        • Technology Director
        • Send PM

I hope it's a blizzard and a disaster, unless of course, the chargers are in the game.

They need to stop this nonsense. I don't mind the conference championship games in bad weather...It's home field, it's what you play for...all that Jazz.

But a neutral site...which is what the Superbowl is... it should be situated in a location where the players will be allowed to perform at their best.

New York in February could be ugly football...and as we've seen how pass happy the teams have become... it could lead to two teams playing completely out of character, and out of their element.
        "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I read that Gov. Christie welcomes a blizzard...

Comment

• Lightnin'
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

...oh-there's no "East Coast Bias".

Scheduling a game...-I mean THE game in that place in January is as stupid as it can get.

Let's just play the Rose Bowl in Chicago in January.

Ditto for the Sugar in Cleveland.

Move the Fiesta to Foxboro.

How about the Orange Bowl in New York, too ?!

Give me a break...
            San Diego Chargers

1961-2017

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Don't be surprised if game time temp is mid 50s.

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                Don't be surprised if game time temp is mid 50s.
                Heh that's a best case scenario.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                  Heh that's a best case scenario.
                  Of course. It's new York.

But there's nothing wrong with a nice 50 degree day in New York. I lived in NY for seven years and probably half of New Year's Days I was there, I could get away with shorts during the day. Now it's true, late January is different. But the truth is that winters in NYC are simply not as harsh as they used to be.

Of course a blizzard or crappy weather is a possibility, but I don't see why everyone's praying for bad weather. I guess this ties into hatred of all things NY and East Coast boas stuff, but kudos to NY for being able to get a SB. San Diego can't.

Comment

• sandiego17
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I hope the weather turns out ok as well. Also had the opportunity to live in the city for a few years, and while its not SD, still loved it out there. In the years I was there, can only recall one really one cold winter, its the summers that were awful weather wise. No love loss for their teams though, root against them unless they happen to be playing a Boston team.

Comment

• captaind
                      Cook This Pork Chops
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Mars
                      • Ball Holder
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                      But there's nothing wrong with a nice 50 degree day in New York. I lived in NY for seven years and probably half of New Year's Days I was there, I could get away with shorts during the day. Now it's true, late January is different. But the truth is that winters in NYC are simply not as harsh as they used to be.
                      I froze my ass off up there back in February. Never got above 22. And I had to walk to work.

Uphill both ways. And against the wind.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

It has its moments. But there's a reasonable chance it wont be awful.

Comment

Working...
                        X