No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

I hope it's -59
    With wind chill
    And Goodell's penis breaks off like glass
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• SFW
      PB Official Game Thread Starter
      • Jul 2013
      • NY
      • USMC
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
      Of course. It's new York.

But there's nothing wrong with a nice 50 degree day in New York. I lived in NY for seven years and probably half of New Year's Days I was there, I could get away with shorts during the day. Now it's true, late January is different. But the truth is that winters in NYC are simply not as harsh as they used to be.

Of course a blizzard or crappy weather is a possibility, but I don't see why everyone's praying for bad weather. I guess this ties into hatred of all things NY and East Coast boas stuff, but kudos to NY for being able to get a SB. San Diego can't.
      You must not have been in NY last winter or in 2010. Both of those winters had a lot of snow and were pretty harsh (2012 was very mild). I do agree that winter here (NY) is hit or miss but I don't agree when you say they are not as harsh as they used to be. But you are right that the winter weather usually starts late Jan or well into Feb so the Super Bowl might very well be upper 30's to low 40's for game time and partially sunny.
      1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
      2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
      3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
      4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
      5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
      6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
      7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I left NYC in 2006, so no I wasn't there for the last couple of winters. But I do travel to NY multiple times a year for work and I get into crap weather from time to time. My comment about winters not being as harsh as they used to be is based on what I have been told by many lifelong New Yorkers.

I guess my point is that in the eyes of many San Diego-based posters, the sense seems to be that NYC winters are mini-apocalypses, and I am just trying to provide a little balance.

When I moved to NY in 1997, I was prepared to be brutalized every winter. But I was surprised to find myself sometimes wearing shorts in November or even early January. My issue with NYC weather was not the occasional snow dump or cold temps, but simply the length of the winter. It just seems to go on forever. Prior to NY I had always lived in climates where by March or April, things were starting to get nice. In NY, sometimes we wouldn't get like that till almost June. One year we had a 95 degree day in April, and I was like, "OK, we're good now." That was followed by 3-4 more weeks of cold temps and rain.

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

The only 'football' gripe I have about that game is that it sets a precedent for future games to be played in the cold open. Teams that play in nice weather or in domes will have a disadvantage if going against a team that normally plays in such weather. I know that Lambeau would not have a Super Bowl, just because of hotel logistics, but that would be a suck ass place to play for a team from the sun belt, like San Diego. I would hate for Seattle, Denver, or Foxboro to get a Super Bowl... just because.

Comment

• SFW
            PB Official Game Thread Starter
            • Jul 2013
            • NY
            • USMC
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
            I left NYC in 2006, so no I wasn't there for the last couple of winters. But I do travel to NY multiple times a year for work and I get into crap weather from time to time. My comment about winters not being as harsh as they used to be is based on what I have been told by many lifelong New Yorkers.

I guess my point is that in the eyes of many San Diego-based posters, the sense seems to be that NYC winters are mini-apocalypses, and I am just trying to provide a little balance.

When I moved to NY in 1997, I was prepared to be brutalized every winter. But I was surprised to find myself sometimes wearing shorts in November or even early January. My issue with NYC weather was not the occasional snow dump or cold temps, but simply the length of the winter. It just seems to go on forever. Prior to NY I had always lived in climates where by March or April, things were starting to get nice. In NY, sometimes we wouldn't get like that till almost June. One year we had a 95 degree day in April, and I was like, "OK, we're good now." That was followed by 3-4 more weeks of cold temps and rain.
            I completely agree with you that too many people falsely assume that a SB anywhere up north will automatically mean it will be played in bad weather. And yes, the winter's here might not be horrendous compared to many other places but they do last way too long. I think there is a higher chance that the SB is played on a day where the temp is 38 degrees with no rain or snow than the SB being played in bad weather. The problem is the NFL will have no idea of what it might be like until only about 2 weeks before game day.
            1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
            2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
            3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
            4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
            5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
            6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
            7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Maverick
              (Coryellian)
              • Jun 2013
              • Point Loma
              • Send PM

Personally, I think any games played in inclement weather are cool. I see no problem with it. Hell, it's FOOTBALL, not badminton.

Comment

• TABF
                Por debajo del promedio
                • Jun 2013
                • SoCal
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                Easily one of the worst decisions the league has made in a while.
                I think the league knows this, but i'm sure they already have thier talking points prepared to somehow spin this in thier favor

Comment

• Viejo Bolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                  Personally, I think any games played in inclement weather are cool. I see no problem with it. Hell, it's FOOTBALL, not badminton.
                  Can you incubate the fans from the cold? I think that's what sucks, not that the players have to play in it. 2 grand for a ticket to sit in 20 degree weather? Screw that.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Fans? There are a select few, but most of those that get tickets nowadays are getting them because they have an in with the NFL in sponsorships and scalp them to get their 2 grand.

Comment

• QSmokey
                      Guardedly Optimistic
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kuna, Idaho
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                      Right. It's FOOTBALL, not ICE HOCKEY. Or MUD BALL. Or WIND SURFING. I'm just the opposite; I HATE it when the weather determines the outcome of a game. Wind, rain, cold...prevents the players from performing at their best, IMO, and detracts from the game itself.

I'm really surprised that "Mr. Offense Mav" actually likes it.

Comment

• Maverick
                        (Coryellian)
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Point Loma
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                        Right. It's FOOTBALL, not ICE HOCKEY. Or MUD BALL. Or WIND SURFING. I'm just the opposite; I HATE it when the weather determines the outcome of a game. Wind, rain, cold...prevents the players from performing at their best, IMO, and detracts from the game itself.

I'm really surprised that "Mr. Offense Mav" actually likes it.
                        No offense taken.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                          No Sir, I Dont Like It
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Section 457
                          • Migrant Film Worker
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Viejo Bolt View Post
                          Can you incubate the fans from the cold? I think that's what sucks, not that the players have to play in it. 2 grand for a ticket to sit in 20 degree weather? Screw that.
                          I would do it to see the Bolts win a SB in person, but I can't see any other reason.
                          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X