Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Harbaugh's legacy: Immediate turn-around of troubled football programs

Jim Harbaugh's top-ranked, 13-0 Michigan Wolverines are going to take on Alabama today this afternoon in the Rose Bowl, a semi-final game in the quest for the National Championship. Harbaugh's legacy has been to take over troubled football teams and immediately improve them. The Torerros weren't a losing mess when he took over, but he led them to back to back league championships in the final two of his three seasons at USD. Stanford, the 49ers and Michigan were all basket case programs when the took over, and he immediately improved them, the turn-arounds stunning.

I think there is almost 100 percent consensus among Bolts fans that Harbaugh is their favorite to take over the Chargers in 2024. If he does, there will be a collective groan among the Chiefs, Broncos and Raiders, because they will know the Chargers will immediately become a serious team with an elite QB.

Here is a look at Harbaugh's accomplishments in his four head-coaching tenures.

USD Torerros. Harbaugh had been Rich Gannon's QB coach for the Raiders in 2002-03. He took over the Torerros as HC in 2004, and led them to a 7-4 season. In 2005-6, he led the Torreros to back to back Pioneer League championships with at 22-2 record.

Stanford. Harbaugh took over a 1-11 team (2006) in 2007. The Cardinal had had only 1 winning season in the 21st century. The Cardinal improved immediately, under Harbaugh, though it took until 2009 to have his first winning season. In 2010 he lead The Cardinal to a 12-1 season, then handed a winning program to David Shaw, who continued to win with the program Harbaugh built.

49ers. Harbaugh took the 49ers from 6-10 (2010) to 13-3 in his first season as HC (2011). The 49ers had endured eight consecutive non-winning seasons. Harbaugh had the 49ers in the SB in his 2nd season. His records were 13-13, 11-4-1, 12-4, 8-8 in his 4 seasons in SF.

Michigan. Harbaugh took over a 5-7 team (in 2014) and went 10-3 in his first season (2015). Harbaugh has never had a losing season at Michigan. His Wolverines have finished first in the Big 10 the past tree seasons, with a record of 38-3, including 13-0 this season. The Wolverines are ranked #1 in the nation as they prepare to take on Alabama this afternoon in the Rose Bowl.
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

His resume is as good as it gets and exactly what the Chargers need. It is a no brainer. He’s not a Nick Saban or Urban Meyer college coach with no NFL experience. He did it in SF with Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick at QB. He took over a 6-10 49er team and made them division champs the next season. Their roster on offense was far from loaded. On defense they had Bowman and Willis at LB but again not loaded. He can make it work for the Chargers

Comment

• AFboltfan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2018
      • Balboa Park bench
      • Medical Simulation
      • Send PM

There are going to be alot of severely disappointed fans if he is not hired. We're really building up the expectation, just be ready for whatever the outcome is.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post
        There are going to be alot of severely disappointed fans if he is not hired. We're really building up the expectation, just be ready for whatever the outcome is.
        This is me. It seems so logical and so close to happening, yet...I am a Charger fan, used to having my very soul crushed every year...

Comment

• Whydachargers?
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2023
          • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post
          If I'm Harbaugh I'd probably opt for the defensively much improved Raiders and their $55 million in cap space. That would be hard to pass up.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

also part of his legacy is a reputation for being difficult to work with, I know what most people here are only concerned for a quick turnaround with playoff success and then worry later about what comes in years 3-4 when this might start to become a problem...
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Whydachargers?
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2023
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
              also part of his legacy is a reputation for being difficult to work with, I know what most people here are only concerned for a quick turnaround with playoff success and then worry later about what comes in years 3-4 when this might start to become a problem...
              Yeah. And with the meddling Spanii in the background that won't be pretty no matter how much control they relinquish. I still want him now though.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Whydachargers? View Post

If I'm Harbaugh I'd probably opt for the defensively much improved Raiders and their $55 million in cap space. That would be hard to pass up.
                Aidan O'Connell over Justin Herbert? I don't think so.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Whydachargers? View Post

Yeah. And with the meddling Spanii in the background that won't be pretty no matter how much control they relinquish. I still want him now though.
                  To me it's pretty simple. If he wins, get out of his way.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
                    It’s only a problem if somebody else in the org wants to get their hands in it. I’m sure Belichick wouldn’t stand for Trent Baalke’s BS either.

I haven’t heard complaints at UM or Stanford

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Michigan starts the Rose Bowl by Chargering. Unreal

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

To me it's pretty simple. If he wins, get out of his way.
                        what if winning isn't enough when egos are involved? in San Fran it didn't save his job...
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

Working...
                        X