• Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Best mock for us I’ve seen, Chad Reuter’s 4 rounder:

WR MHJ
    IDL Fiske
    CB James
    RB Shipley
    OL Laumea

All this with no trades, ARZ trading out of the 4th pick, and our two 4th round picks. Nice (and still have five picks to go!).

And even if ARZ doesn’t trade down, sub Nabers for MHJ, still awesome (for those wanting more picks for depth, I’d argue our current roster has plenty of depth already, ie guys who aren’t starters lol).

Comment

• La Costa Boy
      Pretty much retired......
      • Sep 2018
      • JoJa
      • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

WR MHJ
      IDL Fiske
      CB James
      RB Shipley
      OL Laumea

All this with no trades, ARZ trading out of the 4th pick, and our two 4th round picks. Nice (and still have five picks to go!).

And even if ARZ doesn’t trade down, sub Nabers for MHJ, still awesome (for those wanting more picks for depth, I’d argue our current roster has plenty of depth already, ie guys who aren’t starters lol).
      Fiske does look like what we need. 6-4 290 plus with good feet and strength. BEEF!!!!

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

WR MHJ
        IDL Fiske
        CB James
        RB Shipley
        OL Laumea

I posted that already.

Comment

• Xenos
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Here’s Popper’s trade down mock.

In the three weeks since our first mock draft of the offseason, the Los Angeles Chargers have undergone some dramatic changes to their roster under coach Jim Harbaugh and general manager Joe Hortiz.

Free agency and the new league year forced the Chargers to address their cap situation. They moved on from receivers Mike Williams and Keenan Allen and linebacker Eric Kendricks. Running back Austin Ekeler, linebacker Kenneth Murray Jr., tight end Gerald Everett and cornerback Michael Davis departed in free agency. The Chargers, meanwhile, started to rebuild the roster with bargain free-agency signings, including center Bradley Bozeman, tight end Will Dissly, running back Gus Edwards and more.

The NFL Draft is now less than a month away. And based on the moves made, we have a much better idea of what the Chargers need in Harbaugh and Hortiz’s first draft together.

Welcome to Mock 2.0, the second of four mock drafts I’ll be doing in the lead-up to the draft.

We begin this version with a trade.

Round 1, pick No. 11 (from MIN): Taliese Fuaga, OL, Oregon State
          The Minnesota Vikings traded with the Houston Texans for an additional first-round pick earlier this month. The Vikings now hold the 11th and 23rd picks in the draft. After quarterback Kirk Cousins left for the Atlanta Falcons in free agency, the implicit intention behind this trade is to acquire resources to move up in the first round for a quarterback.

Our hypothetical scenario: USC’s Caleb Williams, UNC’s Drake Maye and LSU’s Jayden Daniels, all quarterbacks, go first, second and third to the Chicago Bears, Washington Commanders and New England Patriots, in some order. The Arizona Cardinals remain at No. 4 and select Ohio State receiver Marvin Harrison Jr. The Vikings then swing a deal with the Chargers to move up to No. 5 and draft Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy.

The Chargers send the fifth pick to the Vikings. In return, they receive pick Nos. 11 and 23 and a 2025 third-rounder.

Passing on LSU receiver Malik Nabers would be difficult, especially with Williams and Allen no longer on the roster. And I am certainly not saying this is what the Chargers should do if the draft falls this way. It is just an interesting scenario I want to dive into, as making this specific trade would allow the Chargers to fill more holes in a roster littered with them.

If the Chargers trade to No. 11, they would almost certainly miss out on Nabers and Washington receiver Rome Odunze. But they would likely have a shot at one of the six offensive tackles our draft expert Dane Brugler has ranked in his top 100.

Fuaga is one of my favorite players in the draft. Physical, mean, violent: His style would align well with how the Chargers want to play offensively, particularly in the run game. Fuaga has some limitations in pass protection against bendy edge rushers. He might be a better fit at guard, and the Chargers could upgrade at right guard or right tackle. Fuaga was a right tackle at Oregon State. The logic: Bring in an offensive lineman who fits the broader vision offensively, and figure out exactly where he fits through the spring and summer.

Round 1, pick No. 23 (from MIN via HOU via CLE): Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson
          The value of this trade down starts to shine with this second first-round pick. Cornerback is one of the biggest needs on the roster. The Chargers have four corners with regular-season experience: Asante Samuel Jr., Ja’Sir Taylor, Deane Leonard and Kristian Fulton. The Fulton deal is not yet official but is expected to be announced sometime this week. The Chargers need to add at this position, and Wiggins has all the athletic traits defensive coordinator Jesse Minter is looking for in an outside corner. He has size at 6 feet 1. He has speed, running a 4.28-second 40-yard dash at the combine. He is an extremely fluid athlete, especially when forced to turn and recover on deep-developing routes. As Brugler writes, Wiggins allowed only one reception of 20 or more yards on 41 such targets last season.

Round 2, pick No. 37: Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas
          If the Chargers trade down and miss out on Harrison, Nabers and Odunze, they should be looking to add a receiver on Day 2. Joshua Palmer, Quentin Johnstonand Derius Davis are the three starting receivers at the moment. The Chargers will probably attempt to add a receiver in free agency. Between that addition and an early-round selection, their receivers will be in relatively good shape, considering the Chargers moved on from their No. 1 and No. 2 receivers in a week. Mitchell has excellent long speed. He can attack the deep part of the field with necessary deception in his routes. Brugler points out Mitchell’s “hand-eye coordination,” which allows him to make some special adjustments on throws outside his frame.
          Could Jim Harbaugh be reunited with his former Michigan defensive lineman Kris Jenkins? (Michael Hickey / Getty Images)

Round 3, pick No. 69: Kris Jenkins, DL, Michigan
          I expect the Chargers to select at least one Michigan player in the draft. I just cannot overlook the familiarity Harbaugh will have with his former players. The Chargers need to add to the interior of their defensive line, even after signing Poona Ford in free agency. I could see them addressing this position even earlier in the draft, regardless of whether they trade down. Jenkins does not have overwhelming size — he weighed in at 299 pounds at the combine — and that shows up on tape when he is taking on double-teams. But Jenkins, the son of a former Pro Bowl defensive lineman, has a tremendous motor, and he would give the Chargers an interior pass rush element they have been missing in recent seasons outside of Morgan Fox.

Round 4, pick No. 105: Audric Estimé, RB, Notre Dame
          Edwards is in line to be the primary back in 2024. Hortiz called him a “bell cow” when he spoke with local writers last week. The Chargers have Isaiah Spiller on the roster. They could also add another back in free agency, namely former Baltimore Ravens running back J.K. Dobbins, who has reportedly been cleared for football activities after the September Achilles injury that ended his 2023 season. Hortiz has familiarity with Dobbins. Even if the Chargers make that move, though, they’ll likely try to draft a running back, most likely on Day 3.

Estimé seems like a good fit for how the Chargers want to play. He lacks speed, running a 4.71 40 at the combine. But I like his tape. He is a big, physical back. He has good vision in short areas around the line of scrimmage, finding small crevices with quick, decisive feet. When he gets going in the open field, he is a handful to bring down. And I loved what I saw from Estimé in pass protection. His size allows him to match up well with blitzing linebackers. He sees pressure well. The Chargers want to be bullies in the run game. A pairing of Edwards and Estimé would be a step toward that.

Round 4, pick No. 110 (from CHI): Tommy Eichenberg, LB, Ohio State
          The Chargers signed two linebackers in free agency (Denzel Perryman and Troy Dye), and they have two linebackers returning (Daiyan Henley and Nick Niemann). This group is way better off than it was a month ago. But it needs another piece. Eichenberg is not an elite athlete by modern linebacker standards. He is a little stiff in his lateral movements. But he is a good run defender. He is tough and physical. He seeks out contact. I love the mentality and play style. Eichenberg had 120 tackles at Ohio State in 2022. He also had experience on special teams in college.

Round 5, pick No. 140: Tanor Bortolini, C, Wisconsin
          Corey Linsley, the Chargers’ starting center for the past three seasons, is expected to retire this offseason. But the need at center has taken a turn in recent weeks. First off, the Chargers signed Bozeman, who can fill that spot as a stopgap for 2024. Bozeman has played nearly 3,000 snaps at center in his career, including with the Ravens. The other big development: Harbaugh said at the annual league meeting in Orlando that he thinks 2023 fifth-round pick Jordan McFadden is an option at center.

I dug a bit and was told that moving McFadden to center was part of the long-term plan when he was drafted last year. He took some snaps at center in practice but never got any full-speed reps there. Having a potential internal option changes the calculus a bit. Still, the Chargers should be looking to add another center option in the draft. McFadden might end up fitting better at guard, where he started two games last season. Bortolini was one of the standout testers at the combine. He played all five offensive line positions at Wisconsin, so he could provide some center/guard flexibility.
          Could the Chargers add a double dose of Buckeyes with Tommy Eichenberg and Josh Proctor? (Michael Reaves / Getty Images)

Round 6, pick No. 181: Josh Proctor, S, Ohio State
          The Chargers re-signed Alohi Gilman to start next to Derwin James Jr. at safety. They also have 2022 third-round pick JT Woods. And 2023 undrafted free agent AJ Finley was a reliable special teams player last season. The depth is a bit unproven, especially with Woods, who has played only 89 defensive snaps in his first two NFL seasons. I like the idea of adding a competitive depth piece to the safety group late on Day 3.

Proctor could be available here because he is not an eye-popping athlete. That shows up sometimes in the deep part of the field, especially when he gets beat and is chasing. But he sees the game well, both from deep alignments and in the slot. Proctor showed an ability to disguise looks on tape. And he is not afraid to mix it up in run fits in the

Round 7, pick No. 225: Mason Pline, TE, Furman
          The Chargers gave themselves flexibility at tight end by signing two veterans in free agency. They do not necessarily have to draft a tight end. Dissly, Hayden Hurstand Donald Parham Jr. are the top three tight ends. At the bare minimum, the Chargers will be massively upgraded from a run-blocking perspective with Dissly atop the depth chart. If the Chargers draft a tight end, they could end up waiting until Day 3. A former college basketball player, Pline has tantalizing size and athleticism, along with soft hands.

Round 7, pick No. 253: Cornelius Johnson, WR, Michigan
          Johnson was a three-year starter for Harbaugh in Ann Arbor. At the combine, he ran a 4.44 40 at 6-3, 212 pounds. He would bring some blocking juice to the Chargers’ receivers.

Comment

• eaterfan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Popper does great work. I think it's worth plugging him and the Athletic right now. They have a $1 per month (for 12 months) promotion going on right now. Popper's stuff alone is well worth way more than that. Dane Brugler's draft guide is coming out soon. That's worth way more than the price of the whole year. Anyway, if you can afford it, I highly recommend getting the Athletic for this price.

Comment

• Chargers8491
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Mason Pline TE from Ferman was one of my hidden gems I posted about a few days ago. I had him as a UDFA but would definitely take a flyer on him in the 7th. He is like 6'7 260 lbs that player basketball his first 3 years of college.
              1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
              2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
              2b- #37 Jenkins DT
              3a- #66 Puni OT
              3b- #69 Sainristill CB
              4a- #105 Rice WR
              4b- #110 Lloyd RB
              5- #140 Green CB
              6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

Me and Popper pretty much agree...I would have taken Cooper DeJean at 23, if he was still there...but either agree, or dont disagree, at the least, with the whole mock.

Estime always a fav of mine...ran slow, but at 222, put up competive numbers in the jumps, and bench...not a homerun hitter, but a powerful running back...works for me.
                The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Jack Burton
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2023
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                  Me and Popper pretty much agree...I would have taken Cooper DeJean at 23, if he was still there...but either agree, or dont disagree, at the least, with the whole mock.

Estime always a fav of mine...ran slow, but at 222, put up competive numbers in the jumps, and bench...not a homerun hitter, but a powerful running back...works for me.
                  The Estime pick us the only one I don’t like.
                  Id like to see more juice and speed with a RB selection.
                  Estime is good though..

Comment

• CivilBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

Fiske does look like what we need. 6-4 290 plus with good feet and strength. BEEF!!!!
                    Him plus Tuli, Bosa and Mack. What a line

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Him plus Tuli, Bosa and Mack. What a line
                      Fiske is a Tasmanian Devil ... a hurricane ... a berserker. With Trex arms, i guess?
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Fiske is a Tasmanian Devil ... a hurricane ... a berserker. With Trex arms, i guess?
                        You always hear that as a negative, but really?

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2022
                          • White Rock, BC Canada
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

4.7 for an RB turned me off of Estime. We already have a big back in Gus who is a 2 down back that doesn't catch passes, I wouldn't mind a back that can catch passes and bring some speed and explosion to round things out. Rather draft Lloyd or Wright.

With other teams threatening defenses with speed, can someone tell me why the Chargers seem so adverse to adding some bloody speed to their plodding offense?? Last year was brutal. Dink and dunk, if it was not a 17 play drive there was no score.

Comment

Working...
                          X