• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post

Boy this forum is in for a rude awakening. Roman getting run outta town for an ineffective passing game in Baltimore is nothing new. In 2015 he was the OC in Buffalo and got fired & replaced by ANTHONY LYNN!!! This is what Lynn had to say when he got hired, "I want to be explosive down the field... We're going to play a little bit faster and see if we can put a little pressure on the defense." The Buffalo offense improved a ton under Lynn - enough that he was named interim HC when Rex Ryan got fired. What Lynn did with that buffalo offense is largely why he got hired here. When an Anthony Lynn called offense is an immediate upgrade to offensive explosiveness and passing game you know you got problems.

All of the NFL offenses that looked decent with Roman featured running QBs. Herbert doesn't run near as well as Lamar Jackson, or Kaepernick, or even Alex Smith. He's comparable to Tyrod Taylor who was the QB in Buffalo when he got fired. A Greg Roman offense with a traditional dropback QB is a puntfest waiting to happen.
    He was a bad HC here and then he got his playcalling taken away from him in Detroit. None of those QBs pass nearly as well as Herbert either so ivwont pigeon hole Roman to any type. He does what the strengths of his QB gives him. Kap was out of the league soon after Roman left SF. Sure a lot of that was his kneeling bullshit but another....he wasnt as good.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
      Oline-Tip of the Spear...
      • Feb 2019
      • McLean Illinois
      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

I wonder if anyone was paying attention to when Harbaugh and Roman were talking. There was some really good stuff to glean from their conversation if you were paying attention. In short, Harbaugh was using several offensive schemes while at Michigan from Roman's Stanford and Raven's days. I think the word Harbaugh used was "diabolical". They are going to run a lot of the same stuff with the Chargers just with a few wrinkles. Don't tell me the Chargers arn't going to be draft Michigan players. I think they will be drafting a lot more Michigan players then people realize.
      Yea...some on here scoff at the notion of Jim drafting his former players...im the opposite. He knows them, trusts them, they already fit what he will try to build here...and some of the better ones fit our needs...Colson, Jenkins, Sainristil, Corum...even Zinter at RG...these arent just ordinary players he is showing favoritism to...they are all likely day 2 picks, cept scratch n dent special Zinter...maybe Corum drops...but these are coveted prospects. My final mock will reflect as much...
      Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Boy this forum is in for a rude awakening. Roman getting run outta town for an ineffective passing game in Baltimore is nothing new. In 2015 he was the OC in Buffalo and got fired & replaced by ANTHONY LYNN!!! This is what Lynn had to say when he got hired, "I want to be explosive down the field... We're going to play a little bit faster and see if we can put a little pressure on the defense." The Buffalo offense improved a ton under Lynn - enough that he was named interim HC when Rex Ryan got fired. What Lynn did with that buffalo offense is largely why he got hired here. When an Anthony Lynn called offense is an immediate upgrade to offensive explosiveness and passing game you know you got problems.

All of the NFL offenses that looked decent with Roman featured running QBs. Herbert doesn't run near as well as Lamar Jackson, or Kaepernick, or even Alex Smith. He's comparable to Tyrod Taylor who was the QB in Buffalo when he got fired. A Greg Roman offense with a traditional dropback QB is a puntfest waiting to happen.
        Way I understand the coaching structure, everything happens under Jim Harbaugh's supervision. Marcus Brady, who worked with Luck in Indy is the pass game co. We know G-Ro has never worked with a passing QB close to Justin's skill level. Could be why he has the assistants under a former QB HC.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

That's what every team says. But it always ends up being 1 guy calling the plays and play callers don't change their stripes.

Name 1 offensive play caller that ever got fired in large part due to his playcalling or concepts that got hired elsewhere that actually changed & had more success? The only one I can think of is Andy Reid, but he didn't really change, the NFL just caught up to what he was already doing and what he was exposed to in his youth. He calls a lot of the same plays now as he did playing at BYU under Lavell Edwards, a coach that was way way ahead of his time. Old school head coaches that also call plays like Norv, Bill O'brien, Mike McCoy, Wisenhunt, and Cam Cameron get hired other places and with a few years are generally let go and replaced.

Mike Martz - got QBs killed in st louis, got QBs killed in S.F., got Qbs killed in Chicago

Joe Lombardi - got run outta Detroit for an overly simplistic offense with too many stick routes, got run outta town here for an overly simplistic offense with too many stick routes

Greg Roman - run outta Buffalo for lack of passing game and explosion, got run outta Baltimore for lack of passing game and explosion, got hired here and ????

There's a reason all these old 80s style "run the ball & establish the line of scrimmage" type coaches have been replaced by young 30 something hotshots. The young hotshots grew up in a different era of football where they pretty much played in a spread offense since Jr. high and never had to relearn or change outdated concepts.

The failure to retain Steichen back in '21 IMO set this franchise back 5 years at least. 2 wasted years with lombardi, 1 with Kellen Moore, now however many with Roman.

Comment

• SuperChargedRodney37
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2024
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Thanks for asking.
            I don't feel strongly regards "necessary". Bozeman is good enough for the immediate need. IF he gets dinged early season, McFadden's lack of experience probably means Jaimes gets the backup slot.
            Zak Fraser is a bad ass, aggressive C/G who can start and play well today. "Prudent" might be a better choice of words.
            I had the same thought as Jim regards McFadden but he's raw. So- I dunno.
            I do believe Frasier can start at either G or C and be the kind of OL we want day one.
            For me it's "maybe" or "definitely". Coach may have a different opinion.
            Good afternoon, SonoraJim,

Thanks for the conversation and answering my question.

I hear the reservations about the inexperience of McFadden.
            I had the privilege of spending time talking OLine scouting and philosophy with the Former Patriot Great Oline coach Dante Scarnecchia and he is a very great and creative mind. He found Olinemen that were just college wrestlers and made them quality starting lineman.
            I tell that story because the creativeness of this Coaching staff brings me hope and joy for the future of the position. The fact that the staff determined a player could potentially play a position he's never played just from watching the film and looking at the traits, shows the confidence in their philosophy and coaching abilities. This is a great sign of things to come believe it or not.

Comment

• LarryAW
              Chargers fan since 1970
              • Sep 2018
              • Chula Vista, CA
              • retired paralegal/court reporter
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Yea...some on here scoff at the notion of Jim drafting his former players...im the opposite. He knows them, trusts them, they already fit what he will try to build here...and some of the better ones fit our needs...Colson, Jenkins, Sainristil, Corum...even Zinter at RG...these arent just ordinary players he is showing favoritism to...they are all likely day 2 picks, cept scratch n dent special Zinter...maybe Corum drops...but these are coveted prospects. My final mock will reflect as much...
              He recruited them and they won a National Championship. If he's positioned to do so, I'm sure he'll draft one or more of his former players.

Comment

• Chargers8491
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2022
                • Send PM

I would even add Roman Wilson to the list.
                1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                3a- #66 Puni OT
                3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                4a- #105 Rice WR
                4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                5- #140 Green CB
                6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Chargers8491
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Maybe....if it works out but i dont think they are going in with that thought process. Other players are capable of doing what they want to do as well and several players in this draft are likely players JH tried to recruit. We'll see.
                  I don't think they are specifically targeting Michigan players but if they are in the grouping of players that are available, I believe they are likely to get the nod but who knows.
                  1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                  2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                  2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                  3a- #66 Puni OT
                  3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                  4a- #105 Rice WR
                  4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                  5- #140 Green CB
                  6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

That's what every team says. But it always ends up being 1 guy calling the plays and play callers don't change their stripes.

Name 1 offensive play caller that ever got fired in large part due to his playcalling or concepts that got hired elsewhere that actually changed & had more success? The only one I can think of is Andy Reid, but he didn't really change, the NFL just caught up to what he was already doing and what he was exposed to in his youth. He calls a lot of the same plays now as he did playing at BYU under Lavell Edwards, a coach that was way way ahead of his time. Old school head coaches that also call plays like Norv, Bill O'brien, Mike McCoy, Wisenhunt, and Cam Cameron get hired other places and with a few years are generally let go and replaced.

Mike Martz - got QBs killed in st louis, got QBs killed in S.F., got Qbs killed in Chicago

Joe Lombardi - got run outta Detroit for an overly simplistic offense with too many stick routes, got run outta town here for an overly simplistic offense with too many stick routes

Greg Roman - run outta Buffalo for lack of passing game and explosion, got run outta Baltimore for lack of passing game and explosion, got hired here and ????

There's a reason all these old 80s style "run the ball & establish the line of scrimmage" type coaches have been replaced by young 30 something hotshots. The young hotshots grew up in a different era of football where they pretty much played in a spread offense since Jr. high and never had to relearn or change outdated concepts.

The failure to retain Steichen back in '21 IMO set this franchise back 5 years at least. 2 wasted years with lombardi, 1 with Kellen Moore, now however many with Roman.
                    You've earned the right to start the "Fire Greg Roman" thread

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

What is there to scoff at?

They are the national champions full of good football players with a record 18 players at the combine. Plus like you say coach knows them and they know his system. I hope we get some of them.

Colson at 37 wouldnt shock me, Might seem a little high but many teams have him as their LB1, and he wont be there at 69. We dont have much at LB and it is a weak position in this draft. If you dont get one pretty early it is very slim pickings. That is why Colson wouldnt shock me.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
                        when was the last time Chargers even sniffed "the hump"

I'd love to be stuck at not getting over "the hump" vs what we witnessed previous years.

So if Jim Harbaugh Greg Roman and Jesse Minter get us to the playoffs consistently every year I would be stoked. Cant win the SB if you are not invited to the dance
                        Sniff The Hump is the name of my new band
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

What is there to scoff at?

They are the national champions full of good football players with a record 18 players at the combine. Plus like you say coach knows them and they know his system. I hope we get some of them.

Colson at 37 wouldnt shock me, Might seem a little high but many teams have him as their LB1, and he wont be there at 69. We dont have much at LB and it is a weak position in this draft. If you dont get one pretty early it is very slim pickings. That is why Colson wouldnt shock me.
                          My response to this repeated proposal is far more thoughtful than a “scoff” - If I’m in this unnamed group of scoffers, I resent it. it’s a disservice to dilute my comments to anti-UM scoff-bullshit.

The best draft approach is simple - TAKE THE BEST PLAYER. BPA overall or BPA from a group of priority positions. Always. If Colson is BPA, take him. If he is not, DONT. Played for Minter, played not for minter, matters not if he played for Minter because that is not the #1 criteria for drafting a player. If he is BPA, he’s drafted. If not BPA LB - he is not.

This is not about Colson, Sainristil or Jenkins, they are all very good and I like all 3 of them. it’s about being criticized for BPA. I don’t know any them are Rd2 BPAs at 37, if yes then great. The irrefutable best draft method is BPA - and I am not a scoffer, damnit!!!

“Draft Minter Players” advocates are the same mental excuses that TT used for the last decade that resulted in mediocre rosters. If you are not taking BPAs, you will not have the best rosters - period. How you analyze operate matters to how you perform. As soon as you stop thinking “best”, you will have a 100 bad reasons to pick wrong players.

Keep it clear, get right, get straight, get BPA’d.

Zin-man could be a latter Day3 steal long term, overlooked because he was injured in 2023 btw - like him too.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X