• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Just to point out, all those Michigan players are round two or lower for a reason.

Comment

• Heatmiser
      BetterToday ThanYesterday
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post

Boy this forum is in for a rude awakening. Roman getting run outta town for an ineffective passing game in Baltimore is nothing new. In 2015 he was the OC in Buffalo and got fired & replaced by ANTHONY LYNN!!! This is what Lynn had to say when he got hired, "I want to be explosive down the field... We're going to play a little bit faster and see if we can put a little pressure on the defense." The Buffalo offense improved a ton under Lynn - enough that he was named interim HC when Rex Ryan got fired. What Lynn did with that buffalo offense is largely why he got hired here. When an Anthony Lynn called offense is an immediate upgrade to offensive explosiveness and passing game you know you got problems.

Facts, data: Roman was the OC in Buffalo in 2015. The team scored 379 points, won 8 games, gained 5775 yards

Lynn was named OC two games into 2016 when Roman was fired. The team scored 399 points, won 7 games, gained 5666 yards that season

In 2015, under Roman, Tyrod threw the ball 380 times for 3035 yards. In 2016 under Lynn he threw it 436 times for 3023 yds

Hmmm. Maybe Lynn learned that as much as you can want to be explosive and talk about being explosive and pass the ball more, sometimes cold reality dictates that you don't have the players to do it.

I get some of us don't like Roman, but I don't see a 'ton of offensive improvement' under Lynn from the wreckage that Roman supposedly wrought on the team and his hire as our HC was a head scratcher to a lot of people. But he was considered a 'leader of men' and a Parcells (before Ryan) disciple. But his stint as the OC was not great, it was middlin. And he got fired in Detroit and replaced by Ben Johnson after which the team took off offensively. And Lynn was such a good OC and interim HC that he did not get the job in Buffalo!

I trust Jim Harbaugh and it seems as if he was bringing Roman from the get go. I believe Harbaugh can get the most out of Roman to get the most out of our players. Those who want glamour stats and hero ball might be real disappointed now but I am betting this team wins a lot more moving forward. And wins are better than probowls and highlights and statistics.

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2022
        • White Rock, BC Canada
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

My response to this repeated proposal is far more thoughtful than a “scoff” - If I’m in this unnamed group of scoffers, I resent it. it’s a disservice to dilute my comments to anti-UM scoff-bullshit.

The best draft approach is simple - TAKE THE BEST PLAYER. BPA overall or BPA from a group of priority positions. Always. If Colson is BPA, take him. If he is not, DONT. Played for Minter, played not for minter, matters not if he played for Minter because that is not the #1 criteria for drafting a player. If he is BPA, he’s drafted. If not BPA LB - he is not.

This is not about Colson, Sainristil or Jenkins, they are all very good and I like all 3 of them. it’s about being criticized for BPA. I don’t know any them are Rd2 BPAs at 37, if yes then great. The irrefutable best draft method is BPA - and I am not a scoffer, damnit!!!

“Draft Minter Players” advocates are the same mental excuses that TT used for the last decade that resulted in mediocre rosters. If you are not taking BPAs, you will not have the best rosters - period. How you analyze operate matters to how you perform. As soon as you stop thinking “best”, you will have a 100 bad reasons to pick wrong players.

Keep it clear, get right, get straight, get BPA’d.

Zin-man could be a latter Day3 steal long term, overlooked because he was injured in 2023 btw - like him too.
        Dont worry too much. Hortiz has mentioned BPA repeatedly and he said they like many Michigan players but they have them ranked where they belong.

I would like to get a few of these players I like. It really comes down to where you pick them. I think some fall into cracks where we don't pick though. Colson is an example, 37 might be a bit early but i really dont see him being there at 69. It was Jerermiah that said dont be surprised if the Chargers took Colson at 37. The reason is after the top couple of guys in this draft at LB there is little or nothing, just like the Chargers current LB group, little or nothing there. Many teams have Colson ranked as their LB 1, ahead of Cooper.

Sensiril could be in the mix, he likely wont last past mid 2nd round.

Zinter i would be happy with with one of our 4 picks maybe.

Who knows...I guess we wont come out of this draft without a Wolverine though

Comment

• Heatmiser
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Good calls.

Zinter, Colston, Senseril, Corum, Wilson, Jenkins. Maybe Barner, too.

Any of those guys would be a good addition. But I would not be shocked if no Wolverines are drafted by the CHargers due to timing and slot. I do expect some extra Wolverines to be signed as UDFA, though. And agents for those players should be pushing their clients to CHargers since we have so many holes.

TG

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2022
            • White Rock, BC Canada
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
            Good calls.

Zinter, Colston, Senseril, Corum, Wilson, Jenkins. Maybe Barner, too.

Any of those guys would be a good addition. But I would not be shocked if no Wolverines are drafted by the CHargers due to timing and slot. I do expect some extra Wolverines to be signed as UDFA, though. And agents for those players should be pushing their clients to CHargers since we have so many holes.

TG
            I agree with you on all points. I like all those players too. Roman Wilson is another good player, great separator. Yes it really depends where they are on board and as i said I am not sure if we have the right draft slots.

Also hoping and expecting some UDFAs from Michigan that our coaches know well and think they can work with

Comment

• Heatmiser
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

CBF, I can also see other teams drafting these Michigan players, the players not panning out as planned becuase away from Harbaugh and his coaches and his ways, they are not what they were in college. None of these players are superstars but they played well together and their talents were maximized at Michigan. And the Chargers get them maybe in 2026 for nothing and they suddenly look great again. What do you think about that?

TG

Comment

• Chargers8491
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                Just to point out, all those Michigan players are round two or lower for a reason.
                Part of the ranking process is how will they fit with the team that is drafting them. We already know that most of the Michigan players already fit on offense and defense because they have played in both schemes. I would bet the Chargers probably have these guys ranked higher than most teams do.
                1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                3a- #66 Puni OT
                3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                4a- #105 Rice WR
                4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                5- #140 Green CB
                6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

Presumably, an advantage to drafting U. of Michigan defenders would be that there's no projection involved with scheme fit. That means a better chance of "hitting the ground running", vs. taking 6-8 weeks to get familiar with one's role and responsibilities.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Facts, data: Roman was the OC in Buffalo in 2015. The team scored 379 points, won 8 games, gained 5775 yards

Lynn was named OC two games into 2016 when Roman was fired. The team scored 399 points, won 7 games, gained 5666 yards that season

In 2015, under Roman, Tyrod threw the ball 380 times for 3035 yards. In 2016 under Lynn he threw it 436 times for 3023 yds

Hmmm. Maybe Lynn learned that as much as you can want to be explosive and talk about being explosive and pass the ball more, sometimes cold reality dictates that you don't have the players to do it.

I get some of us don't like Roman, but I don't see a 'ton of offensive improvement' under Lynn from the wreckage that Roman supposedly wrought on the team and his hire as our HC was a head scratcher to a lot of people. But he was considered a 'leader of men' and a Parcells (before Ryan) disciple. But his stint as the OC was not great, it was middlin. And he got fired in Detroit and replaced by Ben Johnson after which the team took off offensively. And Lynn was such a good OC and interim HC that he did not get the job in Buffalo!

I trust Jim Harbaugh and it seems as if he was bringing Roman from the get go. I believe Harbaugh can get the most out of Roman to get the most out of our players. Those who want glamour stats and hero ball might be real disappointed now but I am betting this team wins a lot more moving forward. And wins are better than probowls and highlights and statistics.

TG
                    you lost me at "Tyrod" ...

Edit/add: Bills were 7-9 in 2016, 9-7 in 2017. Apparently removing the horrible OC didn't produce much of a change in the team's success. Facts, data.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

CBF, I can also see other teams drafting these Michigan players, the players not panning out as planned becuase away from Harbaugh and his coaches and his ways, they are not what they were in college. None of these players are superstars but they played well together and their talents were maximized at Michigan. And the Chargers get them maybe in 2026 for nothing and they suddenly look great again. What do you think about that?

TG
                      Sounds like a plan!

I think Sensiril is a baller and will play well wherever he is drafted though and also Roman Wilson was probably under utilized at Michigan and could thrive.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

TG
                        The fact we're even comparing our OC to Anthony Lynn proves my entire point. Personally, I'd rather have an OC that draws comparisons to guys like Ben Johnson, Kyle Shanahan, Andy Reid, Bobby Slowik etc, NOT guys like Anthony Lynn & Matt frigging Canada.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post

The fact we're even comparing our OC to Anthony Lynn proves my entire point. Personally, I'd rather have an OC that draws comparisons to guys like Ben Johnson, Kyle Shanahan, Andy Reid, Bobby Slowik etc, NOT guys like Anthony Lynn & Matt frigging Canada.
                          Yes but we thought Moore would be great and he sucked. I feel better about Roman than Moore and Lombardi.

Comment

Working...
                          X