• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargingBolts View Post

No. $30M for JJ or pennies on the dollar for MHjr Nabors or Udonze who may be equivalently talented
    Exactly right -- and it would cost more than the 5th pick for Justin Jefferson - I think. Even if it just cost the 5th pick, Chargers like you said can just probably draft MHJr or Nabers for much cheaper

Offseason Hortiz and Harbaugh have also shown they have a vision - loading up on comp picks for one thing, cleaning up the cap. They are not doing all of this for Justin Jefferson

They are building not just for this year but for through Herberts contract.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

I see this a lot here….
      If Hortiz wants Bowers after he gets 11 and 23, they can just offer up their 3rd and move up to 9. CHI probably won’t mind moving back 2 spots they are most likely taking a defensive player. ATL too would probably not care about a small move back.
      Then sell 23. There’s a bunch of teams with multiple 2nd round picks. CAR, WASH, PHIL and HOU.
      there’s going to be a bunch of prime guys at 23 and teams are going to want to double dip and get a player they know won’t make it to the 2nd. WRs Brian Thomas and Adonai Mitchell, Fantanu, Mims, Guyton, Wiggins…who knows.
      WASH needs weapons and they just got a QB. I could see them trading right back up and getting a WR to go with their new QB.
      LAC would then have, 36, 37 and 40 in the second….

11 BROCK BOWERS TE GEORGIA
      36 BRADEN FISKE DT FLORIDA
      37 KINGLSEY SUAMATAIA RT BYU
      40 TJ TAMPA CB IOWA ST

Hows that…
      We have too many holes to fill to do that...not a Trader Joe type of move...if we don't trade down from #5, I'll be kind of surprised...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

OTC will update once they factor in Fulton and Austin Johnson who signed for 4mil, depending on what Fulton signed for the chargers stand to get as many as 4 compensatory picks

Murray 7.75mil
        Everett 6mil
        Ekeler 4.22mil
        Johnson 4mil
        Davis 3.58mil

that's five qualifying FAs versus Gus Edwards and maybe Fulton, if Fulton is 3mil or less then the chargers get 4 compensatory picks...the number that doesn't add up for me is Ekeler's, I think OTC is wrong, his contract is worth over 11mil so his APY should be in the 5.5mil range, that would give the Chargers two extra 6th rounders and two extra 7th rounders in next year's draft...might not sound like much but great in season trade capital for 2024 season as things sit right now the chargers already have 8 picks in 2025, they might get 3-4 more, so trading one or two in season is not a big deal if it helps the team make the playoffs or protect Herbert better or perhaps add depth on defense somewhere, who knows it's all speculation but it's looking like worse case scenario that Hortiz will massage 3 potentially 4 additional picks for the 2025 draft...
        OTC has the Chargers getting three comp picks
        2 in the Sixth for Murray and Everett
        and 1 in the 7th for Davis

Chargers are already getting the Patriots pick in 2025 - so today, would be 11 draft picks

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

OTC will update once they factor in Fulton and Austin Johnson who signed for 4mil, depending on what Fulton signed for the chargers stand to get as many as 4 compensatory picks

Murray 7.75mil
          Everett 6mil
          Ekeler 4.22mil
          Johnson 4mil
          Davis 3.58mil

that's five qualifying FAs versus Gus Edwards and maybe Fulton, if Fulton is 3mil or less then the chargers get 4 compensatory picks...the number that doesn't add up for me is Ekeler's, I think OTC is wrong, his contract is worth over 11mil so his APY should be in the 5.5mil range, that would give the Chargers two extra 6th rounders and two extra 7th rounders in next year's draft...might not sound like much but great in season trade capital for 2024 season as things sit right now the chargers already have 8 picks in 2025, they might get 3-4 more, so trading one or two in season is not a big deal if it helps the team make the playoffs or protect Herbert better or perhaps add depth on defense somewhere, who knows it's all speculation but it's looking like worse case scenario that Hortiz will massage 3 potentially 4 additional picks for the 2025 draft...
          Right. ...4 is the max and I'll take that.
          Still got time for other FAs to sign and could knock us down a notch or even out. If we end up w/ 4,....that's great.
          More than we ever had in our first year with a new GM. Telesco sucked.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Comment

• Heatmiser
              BetterToday ThanYesterday
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I don't think Harbuagh will want to draft Bowers as much as he will want to draft a guy like Stover. Much more of a Mark Andrews type TE. Cannot do what Bowers can do with ball in his hands but can do things in line that Bowers can never do. And he still does get open and catches pretty much everything that comes his way.

Oh and all WRs on this team will need to block and block well. No plays off, no shying from contact, have to take pride in it. Marty instilled that on his teams here.

For those in the media intent on making a big deal out of the way Keenan left (when it seems neither Keenan nor the CHargers are doing that), there is no way Keenan should have been blindsided. Knew there were cap issues, knew there were tons of holes in the roster that have to be filled, knew the team valued and wanted to keep him, knew he was going to be approached about some kind of re-do, knew what happened with Bosa and Mack, knew that if he and his agent drew a hard line there was no coming back. Knew another team would really want him and pay him his current contract. Knows the NFL is a business by now and knew there was a chance things might not work out. Disappointed? For sure. Blindsided? He is not that blind.

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Middlekauff: Harbaugh less motivated by money, he went with his passion deciding to coach Herbert and the Chargers.

Expect Jim Harbaugh to quickly turn Chargers around | 3 & Out

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Good read. Allen thought he should be a top paid WR. I thought the high bar was Mike Evans at an AAV of $21m. I think Lockett in Seattle got $16-17m for an AAV. So Allen would slot closer to Evans. I know Ridley got 92/4 from the Titans but he is younger than all of these players.

If Allen were asking for money closer to Ridley or higher - probably priced himself out of the market. Even the Bears asked him to take a pay cut it seems. But at least he got his 23m from the Bears and next year is to be determined.
                  All offseason I have always thought Allen and Mack were basically year to year players at this point of their careers.

Comment

• Icebolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2023
                    • Send PM

Chargers can get a real good WR in Round 2 or 3. I believe that if the Charger trade down they should target a CB. They can get an OT late 1st or in the 2nd. I really believe they need CB, LB & DT.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                      This is a very good read with a lot of info about what went on behind scenes. It does appear Keenan was a bit butthurt about being asked to take a pay cut. He may regret the decisions he made IMO. The cold, wind chill, snow and ice in Chicago in the winter is something he's never experienced and it won't be a pleasant transition. He's only ever lived in N. Carolina and CA. Plus if the Chargers rocket to the top of the NFL under Harbaugh and Herbert has his best season as a passer, while the Bears remain mediocre, even with Caleb Williams, he will wish he'd put his pride aside and accepted what Hortiz was offering.

But all that said, the thing that stood out to me most in this piece was Hortiz explaining why he wanted the extra cap space.

"I know in the past there haven't been a lot of additions during the season with trades," Hortiz said, " but that's something I believe in."

We are going to see a totally different philosophy in the way this team is managed under Harbaugh/Hortiz. Telesco would never make any in-season moves to improve the team. Sometimes I thought Telesco made decisions based on fear. Hortiz won't be like that.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Icebolt View Post
                        Chargers can get a real good WR in Round 2 or 3.
                        There's a lot of WR talent in those rounds. If they don't draft a WR or Bowers at #5, they will draft a WR on day 2. I just hope they pick the best one.

Comment

• Chargers8491
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                          There's a lot of WR talent in those rounds. If they don't draft a WR or Bowers at #5, they will draft a WR on day 2. I just hope they pick the best one.
                          Rice is kinda growing on me.
                          1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                          2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                          2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                          3a- #66 Puni OT
                          3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                          4a- #105 Rice WR
                          4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                          5- #140 Green CB
                          6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

Working...