• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Maybe Mack and/or Bosa come back and contribute some more.

A successful LAC season might lead to them agreeing to reasonable terms, albeit the age factor.

I like Braiden Mc Gregor as our token Wolverine. Good size, length. Physical. Tough as nails as an ex hockey player. Came up big in the post season.

I know this is not the speed I suspect you are after tho.

bluey wants his juice lol.
    Just not a fan of Rumph. He’s still what he was when we drafted him, a little better but not enough to keep around.

Comment

• charger1_sj
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

The big difference between Salyer and Pipkins is development.

Pipkins has had 5 years to develop... and largely hasn't. It's about the traits @OT. The slow feet are a huge problem. The fact that he isn't very physical is another problem. Finesse worked for TT (or not). Harbaugh/Roman are going to ask their OT's to be much stronger and have very good movement skills. They will have to hit their landmarks in the run game and many times pass block all by themselves. Many people believe that TE Dissley will help Pipkins out a good percentage of the time. But largely @Baltimore (and @Seattle) the TE's go 1 v 1 vs DE's and LB's. Roman talks about Dissley being a great B-Gap blocker. He will be doing his own work... his job shouldn't be holding Pipki's hand in the blocking game.

@OG, you don't have to cover as much ground and space. You have help to both sides. Salyer has had only 1 year @RG... we're not talking about 5 years... we're talking one year at a position he's never played. In no way am I saying he should be @RG. In fact, I've suggested getting a true RG in the draft. There is nothing wrong with depth along the OL. IMO, good OG's can be had in the 3rd or 4th round this draft.

Most of this conversation has been about the 1st round prospects... certainly you don't suggest we take an OG in the first round...
      What are your ideas about fixing the OL... are you simply putting guys into a scheme they don't fit and then praying to the heavens that the coaching will magically fix them...? Or is your philosophy simply to complain about the OL in general... but do nothing to fix it...?
      Contrary to what you state. Pipkins did not get any help at RT this year. It's not like we put a TE out there to help him out, we did not. So not sure if we stay with Pipkins or not but Dissley is not going to hold Pipkins hands.

I would be fine taking a RT in the 2nd round or down the line. I would not be fine taking a RT @5.

RG normally do not go in Rd 1. Zion thus far has been a disappointment and he was taken in Rd 1. Salyer is a different story. He was brought in at Geogia to play OG. He was moved to OT because of injury. So it's exactly has you say. He's played OG in college and now in the NFL. BUT he is a 6th rounder and he did a great job at LOT when Slayer went down. We've been saying this now for 1 year. Why not move Sayler to RT and give him a chance there?

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Between Andrew Farmer and Brevin Allen, I say one proves to be worthy of keeping in 2025 over Rumph.
        Both might be more talented than what Minter had in 2023.
        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Contrary to what you state. Pipkins did not get any help at RT this year. It's not like we put a TE out there to help him out, we did not. So not sure if we stay with Pipkins or not but Dissley is not going to hold Pipkins hands.

I would be fine taking a RT in the 2nd round or down the line. I would not be fine taking a RT @5.

RG normally do not go in Rd 1. Zion thus far has been a disappointment and he was taken in Rd 1. Salyer is a different story. He was brought in at Geogia to play OG. He was moved to OT because of injury. So it's exactly has you say. He's played OG in college and now in the NFL. BUT he is a 6th rounder and he did a great job at LOT when Slayer went down. We've been saying this now for 1 year. Why not move Sayler to RT and give him a chance there?
          I can tell we're just not going to see eye-to-eye on this evaluation... so we'll just have to see what the brain-trust see @#5 (hopefully #11). I trust their judgement. If they see Trey as something I don't... I'll still root for Trey to become a better player. Go Chargers!

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Pipkins has had 5 years to develop... and largely hasn't.
            Oh he's developed. Just not to some people's standards.

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Pipkins did not get any help at RT this year. It's not like we put a TE out there to help him out, we did not. So not sure if we stay with Pipkins or not but Dissley is not going to hold Pipkins hands.
            I saw Gerald Everett helping out Pipkins to block Maxx Crosby in the first Raider game last year. And other games he had help from from a TE to block an edge rusher. Pipkins has trouble with the elite edge rushers. But then, a lot of OTs do. Pipkins does a better job against mid tier edge players or below that.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Just not a fan of Rumph. He’s still what he was when we drafted him, a little better but not enough to keep around.
              Rumph is a JAG...maybe Harbo coaches him up to a JAG+...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Rumph is a JAG...maybe Harbo coaches him up to a JAG+...
                Maybe we can trade him to Telesco for a 5th.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Maybe we can trade him to Telesco for a 5th.
                  LOL...actually I think that's the kind of offer TT would go for...and while we're at it, trade Clapp for a 6th rounder...time to unload all the dead wood...

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

I saw Gerald Everett helping out Pipkins to block Maxx Crosby in the first Raider game last year. And other games he had help from from a TE to block an edge rusher. Pipkins has trouble with the elite edge rushers. But then, a lot of OTs do. Pipkins does a better job against mid tier edge players or below that.
                    Yeah, that's my feeling too. I'd just like to see what an offense looks like with a more capable RT... it's been a long time.
                    My feeling is that Herbert hasn't been able to do all the things he's capable of... a lot of that falls on the protection (or lack thereof).

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

In other words, Pip is barely average...well, we don't WANT average...time to upgrade...and I think Pip would be a decent backup...

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

In other words, Pip is barely average...well, we don't WANT average...time to upgrade...and I think Pip would be a decent backup...
                        I think everyone outside of Pip's family thinks we can do better. The question is - is he the biggest liability on the team right now? IMO, that answer is no. So do we spend our first few picks on upgrading him at the expense of other holes?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

I don't know that coaching will help his slow feet to the outside or his inadequate footspeed to reach his landmarks in the running game at the second level.
                          I'm just not buying this "too slow to reach his landmarks" bit.

Pip ran a 5.12 40 at the combine .... that's pretty good. I've seen Pip get down the field fast enough .... not that I paid that much attention to it.

Guess who ran a 5.13 40?

Comment

Working...
                          X