• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Dotson had one or two good preseason games against 4th string defenders. When he got his carries against real NFL defenders he was clearly overmatched. Practice squad player only.
    Bear in mind that Dot got very limited touches in the regular season, and was also running behind the same O-line that was decimated by injuries. Even Ekkie, Kelley and Spiller couldn't do much behind that line. I think if u put Dot in behind the new revamped Harbo/Roman line, he will produce, and spring quite a few for some nice chunk yardage.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      I'd add Rumph to this list. Unless he Ficken really likes him for ST.
      Good call on Rumph. If the photo that was floating around the internet -- if that was real - -he should be Ben herberts first priority. He was pretty thin and not that muscular -- so hopefully he is bulking a bit

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

As I see it, there are two main differences between TT and Trader Joe:

1. TT signed a lot of high-priced FA's. (JCJ, SJD, Lindsley, Bulaga, Backwards Benji, Okung, Chris Harris). Some of these guys worked out, but several of them were either busts or JAGs. So far, Trader Joe has shied away from monster contracts, mainly to get out of cap hell. Next year, we may see Hortiz spring for one or two pricier deals, but I think he's going to be disciplined here.

2. Both TT and Trader Joe signed a lot of vets to cheap 1-2 year deals. However, TT tended to sign a lot of these guys after the draft, after TC or in mid-season as coupon-clip, dumpster-dive specials. And that's how we ended up with the dregs of the leftovers. Trader Joe, on the other hand, has signed a lot of these 1-2 year contracts PRE-draft, before the decent FA's are snapped up early. Hortiz is also building quality depth. Notice we have TWO solid TE's, TWO solid RB's, etc.
        Thats one thing I never understood about Telesco - at some point, the dollars are the dollars - why not get the better of the leftovers even if that meant you had to give a $250k signing bonus

As for his long term salary cap management - I agree with you. I think he will be very selective in terms of using free agency. The key thing will be nailing the draft. If a GM keeps getting 4 or 5 players a years via the draft and UDFAs - and I don't mean just on the roster - but contributing - that helps manage the cap more than anything.

Comment

• FoutsFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Birmingham AL
          • Send PM

The Dobbins signing is ok, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here. This changes, or should change nothing. This guys health makes Bosa look like Cal Ripken Jr. Take every carry he has as a bonus and expect nothing from him. We cannot count on him for anything other than a bonus.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Bear in mind that Dot got very limited touches in the regular season, and was also running behind the same O-line that was decimated by injuries. Even Ekkie, Kelley and Spiller couldn't do much behind that line. I think if u put Dot in behind the new revamped Harbo/Roman line, he will produce, and spring quite a few for some nice chunk yardage.
            I think he's practice squad material only. But we'll see.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post
              The Dobbins signing is ok, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here. This changes, or should change nothing. This guys health makes Bosa look like Cal Ripken Jr. Take every carry he has as a bonus and expect nothing from him. We cannot count on him for anything other than a bonus.
              The Dobbins signing is like the rest of the signings by Hortiz - not one position has been signed in free agency that cannot be drafted for. Except if they think Gilman and James are the answers at Safety - but even with that, who knows about JT Woods

Hortiz has had a very strategic plan with his offseason. It has allowed him to use the draft to get talent over filling needs. Of course, there is a balance as you need to build out a roster too - but with the draft picks - he can look to get the best players that fit what Harbaugh wants in terms of scheme

Comment

• charger1_sj
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2022
                • Send PM

After the draft the Chargers should go after Tyler Boyd and Justin Simmons. Boyd would give is a vet presence at WR. He's not a #1,
                but he would fill out the WR roster.

An even better signing would be Justin Simmons. This guy is an ultimate FS and ball hawk. That would allow us to move James into
                the box where he is most effective. Much better option than Gillman.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post
                  After the draft the Chargers should go after Tyler Boyd and Justin Simmons. Boyd would give is a vet presence at WR. He's not a #1,

An even better signing would be Justin Simmons. This guy is an ultimate FS and ball hawk. That would allow us to move James into
                  the box where he is most effective. Much better option than Gillman.
                  When I noticed Simmons wasn't signed a couple weeks ago -- he was a guy I thought would be a solid signing. Granted, have to see what the draft brings. And have read the Eagles and Texans are interested - but hte Chargers have the cap space - do they have the team that would interest him if he is looking to win. He and James would be solid.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

When I noticed Simmons wasn't signed a couple weeks ago -- he was a guy I thought would be a solid signing. Granted, have to see what the draft brings. And have read the Eagles and Texans are interested - but hte Chargers have the cap space - do they have the team that would interest him if he is looking to win. He and James would be solid.
                    Looks like Hortiz doesn't want to give up any comp picks. After the draft that goes away and I'm sure we'll see some more signings.
                    Simmons would be a great fit for us. We have the cap space to after both Boyd and Simmons. I suppose it will depend on what happens
                    in the draft. But I don't see us taking a safety that's going to make an impact in this draft. We need so much more in the early rounds.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperChargedRodney37 View Post
                      I mentioned this in the Dobbins tread but it seems everyone is here talking about it.

Our entire 5 man RB room will cost around the same as one of Josh Jacobs or Derrick Henry.

Great value.
                      some would say one Josh Jacobs is worth more than our entire 5 man RB room

I'm being funny - I like what Hortiz is doing with the RB room too, removing the urgent imperative to draft now/draft high for RB. Adults are in the room.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Stetson516 View Post
                        Dotson has what it takes.. he's hungry. Draft an RB in round 6. Kid from Purdue Tyrone Tracy or Emani Bailey... let's get dirty picks with 5-110. OT, CB, LB, WR/DL, OC...
                        Keaton Michell ran a 4.37, Dotson a 4.53. I think we can just draft Jaylen Wright who ran a 4.38 and 210 lbs and we are good. Benson probably goes before Wright and he ran a 4.39 at 216 lbs. Both guys made plenty of house calls at bigger sizes than Robinson, and Dotson. Tracy, who i havent watched much of is 209 lb and a 4.48 guy. A 40 time isnt everything but Wright and Benson are house caller types, good size, make people miss and break tackles.

Mitchell only weighs 180 lbs and got hurt when he got more work. He was electric when he played but 47 carries later, out for the year. Robinson weighs 190 lbs. I know you arent mentioning him just saying.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post
                          Boyd would give is a vet presence at WR. He's not a #1,
                          You have ally in me with this take. I've been advocating for him too. A veteran, good route runner, knows how to get open, good hands, lots of experience, veteran presence in the WR room. Not a star, just a solid veteran who will improve the WR corps.

Comment

Working...
                          X