• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
    Harbaugh rolled into SF havin three first round picks in the Oline. Joe Staley, Mike Iupati and Anthony Davis. He also only had Crabtree as his #1 WR, granted he did have TE Vernon Davis. He also had HOF Frank Gore.

Now he rolls into the Chargers with three 1st round Olinemen. Slater, Johnson and Alt. I think Bozeman is an upgrade to what he had in SF. Now comes the WRs. He has better WRs now than he had in SF. Vernon Davis is better than Hurst but it’s not like Davis was putting up gaudy numbers either. We know Gore is better as a true #1 RB, but the Chargers have better depth.

The topper is that Alex Smith is nowhere near as talented as Herbert. Look what Harbaugh did in year 1 with Smith.

I can confidently say that this offense will be just fine and be the bully out there on the field. I’m expecting 25-30 points a game on average.

The D is a different story. I think they will be just fine, be in the middle of the pack this year because of the amount of talent that is on that side of the ball. I think there will just bit more growing pains than offense.
    Having the most pass rush talent in the NFL is a solid boost.

Comment

• Charge!
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I've posted before that I think we have a legit shot to win 10 or 11 games. But u could be right about 14...
      its possible.... maybe we beat chiefs in first game because Reid has little tape to prepoare and we out physical them?

maybe we beat steelers or ravens....?

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Just removing Staley as HC and defensive playcaller makes us better. Just rank the defense 15th and we win 3-4 games. Able to run the ball, 2 more games.

I think we sweep the Raiders, and Donkeys and we win 11-12 games.
        I hope JH runs up the score in week 1 and gives a big Fuck You to Pierce who has said he wanted to score 70(though Jim wasn't here) and let him know he is the worst HC in the Div.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
          Just removing Staley as HC and defensive playcaller makes us better. Just rank the defense 15th and we win 3-4 games. Able to run the ball, 2 more games.

I hope JH runs up the score in week 1 and gives a big Fuck You to Pierce who has said he wanted to score 70(though Jim wasn't here) and let him know he is the worst HC in the Div.
          Sign me up for this.

Comment

• Charge!
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Sign me up for this.
            LOVE THIS!!!

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

I wanted to do a post on the chances of a Chargers rookie winning OROY or DROY. I wanted to know if an OL has ever won OROY. The answer is "no." OROY was started in 1967. RB has dominated OROY throughout the history of the award, followed by WR. What's interesting is in 1970, the year of the merger, a QB won OROY for the first time. A QB did not win OROY again until Ben Roethlisberger in 2004. Since then QB has dominated OROY, winning half of the 20 awards through the 2023 season, when CJ Stroud was OROY.

OL have received OROY 1st place votes. Rashawn Slater was the last OT to get an OROY vote, he finished 4th in 2021 with 1 vote. Chiefs C Creed Humphrey got 2. Interesting that Marcus McNeil also was 4th in OROY voting as a rookie in 2006, with 6 votes. The last OL to receive OROY votes was Ravens C Tyler Linderbaum with 5 in 2022, 7th most (2022 was a weak year for offensive rookies). Browns' LT Joe Thomas finished 2nd in OROY voting in 2007 with 3.5 votes to Adrian Peterson's 46.5. I only looked at voting back to 2004, so I don't know if any other OL has ever finished 2nd in OROY voting.

With so many 1st round QBs in this draft, it seems the odds are high of one of them wins OROY this season. But wouldn't it be interesting if Joe Alt became the first OL to win OROY? I don't know if Ladd McConkey will have an opportunity to win OROY. Puka Nacua was 2nd in OROY voting last season. But the Rams rode him hard as a rookie, he had 160 targets, catching 105 of those for 1486 yds. Yet he only received 2 OROY votes to C.J. Stroud's 48. I don't envision young Ladd getting that much opportunity.

But...Jets' WR Garrett Wilson won OROY (barely) in 2022. Wilson is the WR I see McConkey most often compared to. Similar size, speed and skill set. Wilson had 95 receptions for 1042 yds and 3 TDs as a rookie, on a team with a very unstable QB situation. Wilson was drafted 10th overall in 2022, the 2nd WR off the board behind Drake London. I guess there is a chance for McConkey, to win OROY, if none of the rookie QBs stand out. He was the 9th WR drafted at #34.

My dark, dark horse candidate for a Charger OROY would be Brenden Rice. If he has a Puka Nucua caliber rookie year and none of the rookie QBs stand out. Like I said, a very dark horse candidate.

The Chargers' best and probably only DROY candidate is Junior Colson. Although he wasn't drafted until #69, he was only the 2nd LB off the board. The Packers took Edgerrin Copper at #45. Interestingly, Junior Seau was 3rd in DOROY voting in 1990, receiving only 1 vote.

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

I wanted to do a post on the chances of a Chargers rookie winning OROY or DROY. I wanted to know if an OL has ever won OROY. The answer is "no." OROY was started in 1967. RB has dominated OROY throughout the history of the award, followed by WR. What's interesting is in 1970, the year of the merger, a QB won OROY for the first time. A QB did not win OROY again until Ben Roethlisberger in 2004. Since then QB has dominated OROY, winning half of the 20 awards through the 2023 season, when CJ Stroud was OROY.

OL have received OROY 1st place votes. Rashawn Slater was the last OT to get an OROY vote, he finished 4th in 2021 with 1 vote. Chiefs C Creed Humphrey got 2. Interesting that Marcus McNeil also was 4th in OROY voting as a rookie in 2006, with 6 votes. The last OL to receive OROY votes was Ravens C Tyler Linderbaum with 5 in 2022, 7th most (2022 was a weak year for offensive rookies). Browns' LT Joe Thomas finished 2nd in OROY voting in 2007 with 3.5 votes to Adrian Peterson's 46.5. I only looked at voting back to 2004, so I don't know if any other OL has ever finished 2nd in OROY voting.

With so many 1st round QBs in this draft, it seems the odds are high of one of them wins OROY this season. But wouldn't it be interesting if Joe Alt became the first OL to win OROY? I don't know if Ladd McConkey will have an opportunity to win OROY. Puka Nacua was 2nd in OROY voting last season. But the Rams rode him hard as a rookie, he had 160 targets, catching 105 of those for 1486 yds. Yet he only received 2 OROY votes to C.J. Stroud's 48. I don't envision young Ladd getting that much opportunity.

But...Jets' WR Garrett Wilson won OROY (barely) in 2022. Wilson is the WR I see McConkey most often compared to. Similar size, speed and skill set. Wilson had 95 receptions for 1042 yds and 3 TDs as a rookie, on a team with a very unstable QB situation. Wilson was drafted 10th overall in 2022, the 2nd WR off the board behind Drake London. I guess there is a chance for McConkey, to win OROY, if none of the rookie QBs stand out. He was the 9th WR drafted at #34.

My dark, dark horse candidate for a Charger OROY would be Brenden Rice. If he has a Puka Nucua caliber rookie year and none of the rookie QBs stand out. Like I said, a very dark horse candidate.

The Chargers' best and probably only DROY candidate is Junior Colson. Although he wasn't drafted until #69, he was only the 2nd LB off the board. The Packers took Edgerrin Copper at #45. Interestingly, Junior Seau was 3rd in DOROY voting in 1990, receiving only 1 vote.
                If he stays healthy I'd say McConkey...but Alt could be a monster if our offense just clicks like a mutha with him in the line-up.
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

You have to understand that there was a strong optimism a year ago about how Kellen Moore was going to change *everything* for the better: O-line blocking schemes, receivers' routes.. Yessir, it was certain to be a hit-the-ground-running success.

Then it didn't happen that way.

Normal people: Once burned? Twice shy.

Charger Fans: Repeatedly burned? Meh, you learn to believe what Harold Hill (The Music Man) and The Wizard (of Oz) are saying when it actually happens, and not before.

I'm not predicting doom and/or gloom. I'm just waiting to celebrate the victories until they actually, you know, HAPPEN!
                  Bruh, tell your “show me” pals to not be a chicken. Live the dream, tell em they can stop pretending it hurts too much to wake up. It doesn’t. There are a million tougher things in life. This is easy. JH2 is gonna soar! We’re riding out … ride with us!

Chicken Bro GIF by hannahgraphix
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

QBs, WRs and RBs win OROY. Fantasy stats rule modern football. I can’t recall the last OL player to actually win OROY.

Rice is not a serious pick - Ladd is the dark horse.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

We were a 5 win team last year with Herbert missing 4-1/2 games

Comment

• Chargers8491
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2022
                        • Send PM

I like your dark horse candidate. Mine is Vidal. I don't think he is just going to turn some heads; he is going to break some necks..lol
                        1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                        2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                        2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                        3a- #66 Puni OT
                        3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                        4a- #105 Rice WR
                        4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                        5- #140 Green CB
                        6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

My dark horse is Junior C aka THE Wolverine.
                          my favorite pick
                          Navarrow bowman's favorite pick
                          The league will take notice when he's ends the season as leader of a defense with veterans Derwin, Mack, Bosa.
                          Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

Working...
                          X