• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I don't know what your reasons / rationale are for predicting 8 wins? (sub-.500).

maybe you posted, I read too many posts to keep track, could you elaborate on your analysis? Because "actually want to see" doesn't explain how you get 8 any more than it would explain 4 or 14? That simply states you don't know. and that'd be fine. What are your concerns that put you at 8, though? That would be by most measures is a mediocre season.
    have to see about the Oline - how much does it improve
    Have to see about the running game - how much it improve
    the passing game - is it more explosive or is still plodding

does the pass rush that looks good on paper - actually prove it on the field

the LBs and IDL - big question marks - did they do enough to help those two areas. IDL was the biggest weakness on the roster and I still think it can be upgraded but not everything can be done in one offseason

So how many of these areas improve and to what degree do they improve

Lastly, learning HOW to win games and not fold like so many Chargers teams have done and figured out how to lose. Figure how to win and close games out.

I think the team will be improved but to go from 5-12 to 12-5 seems like a big leap and again, I like the vision of Harbaugh and Hortiz. I understand the roster building and philosophy so am bullish on the team and I actually look forward to seeing the team on the field. I think they pass the eyeball test

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

the LBs and IDL - big question marks - did they do enough to help those two areas. IDL was the biggest weakness on the roster and I still think it can be upgraded but not everything can be done in one offseason

Lastly, learning HOW to win games and not fold like so many Chargers teams have done and figured out how to lose. Figure how to win and close games out.

I think the team will be improved but to go from 5-12 to 12-5 seems like a big leap and again, I like the vision of Harbaugh and Hortiz. I understand the roster building and philosophy so am bullish on the team and I actually look forward to seeing the team on the field. I think they pass the eyeball test
      Those are all reasons to be unsure, but you didn’t state a single reason for why they will lose 9 games. See what I’m getting at here? how do you get to 8 if you don’t know? Why not 7, why not 2, why not 5, why not 11? Why not 0? Not knowing doesn’t = 8.

The mostly same basic roster as 2023 was 10-7 in 2022. It’s not like they were 5-12 for 2 decades or something. Just something I wonder about, no big - the answer states itself - you guess 8 because you’re unsure how much JH2 and changes will improve the team but you’re optimistic so you split the difference between what you think might really possible and the last record you saw and you don’t want to guess more (W) until after you see it. thats ok, no problem. The team will start to play real games in September, we’ll all find out if we’re right or wrong after that.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Obviously, I'm talking best case scenario.
        I'm just not going to be shocked if we go 14-3
        That's a bit rich for me.

The 14 - 2 team had the NFL mvp and the actual defensive player of the year .... and then there was Gates, Jamaal, .....
        That was the best case scenario for them.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Are you kidding?

Charger Oline played like they had clap last year, literally and figuratively.
          Clapp, Newbie and Pimples ... that was the vaunted right side that they need to improve upon?

They had no running game last year.

Their passing game was Allen working the middle for 8 yards, deep balls bouncing off of QJ claws,
          and watching Mdub on the ground writhing in pain .... the only explosion being a tendon snapping.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

We didn’t win the cap game. 3-14.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Are you kidding?

Charger Oline played like they had clap last year, literally and figuratively.
              Clapp, Newbie and Pimples ... that was the vaunted right side that they need to improve upon?

They had no running game last year.

Their passing game was Allen working the middle for 8 yards, deep balls bouncing off of QJ claws,
              and watching Mdub on the ground writhing in pain .... the only explosion being a tendon snapping.
              I'm guessing you think there is room for improvement this year.

Brace yourself. There will be!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Those are all reasons to be unsure, but you didn’t state a single reason for why they will lose 9 games. See what I’m getting at here? how do you get to 8 if you don’t know? Why not 7, why not 2, why not 5, why not 11? Why not 0? Not knowing doesn’t = 8.

The mostly same basic roster as 2023 was 10-7 in 2022. It’s not like they were 5-12 for 2 decades or something. Just something I wonder about, no big - the answer states itself - you guess 8 because you’re unsure how much JH2 and changes will improve the team but you’re optimistic so you split the difference between what you think might really possible and the last record you saw and you don’t want to guess more (W) until after you see it. thats ok, no problem. The team will start to play real games in September, we’ll all find out if we’re right or wrong after that.
                I see a 5 win team that should be improved - sorry if I all can think is an 8 or 9 win team

I gave reasons.

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

I see a 5 win team that should be improved - sorry if I all can think is an 8 or 9 win team

I gave reasons.
                  I think the coaching staff will be so much improved that we are going to have a "V-8" moment...like WTF were we doing for the past five years. 5-12 record didn't have Herbert for remainder of season plus the oline sucked so bad that it was comical in it's NFL deficiency. Were 9-8 with just what we have on paper plus coaching staff. It would take some very bad stuff to happen plus the rooks not showing up for such a comical result again.

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

I gave reasons.
                    i got you up to 9

and you didnt give reasons why they will win 8, er, 9 games., you said

- i need to see the OL
                    - I need to see running game
                    - I need to see the LBs
                    - and I some other stuff …

You didnt say the OL is great, good, average or awful
                    You didnt say they can run a lot, run a little, not run at all
                    You didnt say anything about the ability of any other stuff you also need to see

what you said for each of these areas is you don’t know how much improved they will be.

you’re not getting it, I can see. You didn’t state any specific weakness, any specific problem, any specific deficiency. You just said you dont know and need to see. So if you don’t know how these core team groups will perform, how did you get to 8 (er 9) wins? Why not stay at 5, the last team record you saw?

obviously, my analysis of your prediction is spot on. You expect improvement, you don’t know how much, so you’re splitting the difference between a great improvement and no improvement. Thats cool. I think you’re wrong and way under. Nobody knows.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

i got you up to 9

and you didnt give reasons why they will win 8, er, 9 games., you said

- i need to see the OL
                      - I need to see running game
                      - I need to see the LBs
                      - and I some other stuff …

You didnt say the OL is great, good, average or awful
                      You didnt say they can run a lot, run a little, not run at all
                      You didnt say anything about the ability of any other stuff you also need to see

what you said for each of these areas is you don’t know how much improved they will be.

you’re not getting it, I can see. You didn’t state any specific weakness, any specific problem, any specific deficiency. You just said you dont know and need to see. So if you don’t know how these core team groups will perform, how did you get to 8 (er 9) wins? Why not stay at 5, the last team record you saw?

obviously, my analysis of your prediction is spot on. You expect improvement, you don’t know how much, so you’re splitting the difference between a great improvement and no improvement. Thats cool. I think you’re wrong and way under. Nobody knows.
                      The reason I pick 8 or 9 is I think improvement but I think going down the list and saying
                      W, L , W W, L , etc etc - is a waste of time at this point and frivolous

So I expect improvement but I also think - and my mantra all offseason - its a longer process

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

The reason I pick 8 or 9 is I think improvement but I think going down the list and saying
                        W, L , W W, L , etc etc - is a waste of time at this point and frivolous

So I expect improvement but I also think - and my mantra all offseason - its a longer process
                        Amazing what one draft did for the Texans and that's with a rookie QB. Imagine us having a real coach in over a decade plus a good draft. The amount of improvements will be leaving us in a WTF moment.
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Whydachargers?
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2023
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

i agree with everything you said, but i am going with 11 wins. I am always picking 11 or 12 wins though. i am starving for a division title. eternal optimist.
                          Well, just like a broken clock you are due!

Comment

Working...
                          X