• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
    The Dupree signing is great and I think the 2 year deal is clever. With Mack most likely not being with the Chargers next year, they will go into the year with a solid trio and probably draft an edge in the first 3 rounds.

They could do a similiar thing with Simmons and sign him to a 3 year deal.
    The Chargers could sign Simmons to something like the Derrick Henry deal. Two years I think 18m of which 9m is guaranteed with a cap hit of $5m this year and a $13m cap hit next year. Maybe if he plays so many snaps, incentives, all of that $13m guarantees next year.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

Hey Roo, who's Davis?
      I'm with Canada though, we appear really thin at S.
      I think he meant Derwin, the current projected starter with Gilman. Stuff happens. I'm several years younger and make similar mistakes with names.
      We have 17 DBs, 7 are designated S. I'm guessing you mean proven starters. That I agree with. I don't think they're in a hurry to make a deal before Minter and his crew get to spend some time with the current prospects.

We may sign a FA S but it'll have to be a great deal and a guy who wants to play in LA for Harbaugh / Minter that Hortiz likes.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
        Day One...
        • Mar 2019
        • Brentwood, 94513
        • Send PM

Just to get players to come compete has been amazing. All because of Jim and Justin. Get the ones who do the job the best. And yes to Simmons.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Of course I am hoping for 6-3 or 7-2 -- just stating what could happen

Last year the Chargers were 2-2 at the bye and lost to Dallas and KC and I thought should have been sellers. They beat the Bears with Bagent at QB and that lousy Jets team before the bye and were 4-4. Now of course Staley or Telesco wasn't going to trade players -- they knew they were on the hot seat. Harbaugh and Hortz don't have that issue - they are here for the big picture

Again, you are ONLY trading Mack or Bosa if you are not in the playoff picture and you have no plans to keep them after the year. So you would rather release them for nothing than get a draft pick. And by the way, the way the Mack contract is set up - a contender could trade a 4th for him. Now, I hope they ball out and are 6-3 at the deadline. Or better!

I just am not making record predictions this year - I am just going to let the season happen. But I am looking forward to the season as for the first time since Butler and Marty, I see a vision for roster building
          B4K, why are you comparing this year's team to what happened last year and decisions that those bozos made? TT and Staley are gone, it's okay, things are going to be better...
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

They should bundle 6s and 7s to either get higher pick(s) or move up earlier the picks they have. There is little need to draft 7 guys in Rds 6-7 when at most the roster will have room for maybe 3? Better to upgrade earlier picks to improve choices where it matters.
            Traditionally the Ravens have sent some low round picks to teams during the season to grab guys with expiring contracts, knowing that two things could happen, either they like the player enough to extend him themselves before they hit free agency or they let the player walk and net the team a future comp, so they could potentially turn a 2025 6th round comp into a 2026 5th round comp etc...or they could potentially fill a roster need with a known commodity by extending a player without having to compete with other teams in free agency for his services...and we already saw Hortiz turn our 4rth rounder for a top three 5th rounder and a trade up to target Ladd, I agree they probably won't use all those lower round picks unless they plan on literally getting rid of every last one of the TT era depth pieces on the roster, but it's a great problem to have, they can trade a 6th for a future 5th etc...Hortiz is not going to waste those picks...I trust he'll put them to good use...
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
              With Fulton being a former 2nd rounder
              now Dupree former 1st...

This is starting to remind me of when the Browns snatched up all these former high round FAs

At some point I think they had a ridiculous amount of 1st and 2nd round talents starting for them across the offense and defense.

In Trader Joe I trust
              Stay thirsty for Joe's Kooooool Aiiiiid!!
              wasn't Chark an early draft pick too? but they aren't overpaying for any of them is notable as well...

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Are you sure about a 6th round pick from NE in 2025? To my knowledge the extra pick we have is a 7th rounder fom Cleveland for Dustin Hopkins.
                yes, we lost our original 7th when we sent JC Jackson back to NE and they sent us back their 2025 6th rounder, so the chargers have their original 6th, the patriots 6th, the Cleveland 7th plus they'll be getting three more 6th rounders as comp picks for K9, Ekeler, and Everett...and if my calculations are right and even though OTC hasn't updated yet, we should also get a 7th round comp for Michael Davis once the Fulton numbers are updated on OTC meaning that Fulton won't cancel out one of our FA losses of either Davis or Austin Johnson...

so yeah, you can lock in five 6th round picks already and potentially and additional 7th rounder to make it two 7th rounders in total for the 2025 NFL Draft...let's keep in mind that the Ravens have traditionally used these picks to "redshirt" good players that fell in the draft due to injury, we saw them do it last year with the offensive lineman from USC Vorhees who will probably be valuable depth on their roster in 2024 and could potentially become a starter for them by year three or four of his career...

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

wasn't Chark an early draft pick too? but they aren't overpaying for any of them is notable as well...
                  Ya 2nd round.
                  Not that draft selection matters much in FA
                  but it's nice to know they at least were once regarded as prospects with high potential and/or traits.
                  Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Pick swap for JC Jackson
                    Chargers 7th and JC Jackson for the Patriots 6th rounder
                    and who knows how the season will go but that 6th rounder from NE could be near the top of the 6th round

But you are correct, the Chargers got a 7th for Hopkins

So right now, 8 picks
                    Yes on the 8 picks but you can already write in the three 6th round comps too for a total of 11 draft picks in 2025, that's not going to change and is set in stone, the only change in that will come when OTC updates the money that was paid to Fulton and then the Chargers gain an additional 7th rounder for losing Michael Davis, as per my calculations the only Charger signing that should cancel out a Charger FA loss is Gus Edwards cancelling out the loss of Austin Johnson...

so in my book the Chargers will have 12 draft picks going into the 2025 draft granted 7 of them will be in the final two rounds...

this of course barring any player trades, they could trade Samuel, Palmer, Pipkins, Fox, who knows, the way that they are still adding players tells me that they could package some of those lower picks plus a player for higher picks, turning say Samuel and a 6th rounder into a higher 3rd or 4rth round pick in 2025 or some like that...they will be active, either before the final cutdowns or at the deadline...

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Ya 2nd round.
                      Not that draft selection matters much in FA
                      but it's nice to know they at least were once regarded as prospects with high potential and/or traits.
                      Dupree, Fulton, Chark all have flashed at one point or another and this staff is supremely confident in their ability to get the most out of these guys and use them correctly...yes, they were high picks for a reason they had traits that made them good prospects from the jump, so hopefully they stay injury free and have a great season for us...

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Kinda amazing if we go into the season with that glob of money spent on a middling backup, instead of a stud starter. GM fail.
                        😡

(but even if we do, we’re going to the playoffs, baby, and fuck that Yahtzee-playing squirrel!)
                        It's obvious that Pipkins is not in the longterm plan any longer, so it's okay to ease off a bit, no GM fail, they are creating depth and barring a trade, they are stuck with his salary for this year but that won't be the case in 2025...I have Trey on my short list of guys that could get moved before final roster cutdowns or during the season...

Palmer, Samuel, Jaimes, Pipkins, and Fox could all get traded before or perhaps even during the season...moving Trey would create like 6mil in space, Palmer, Samuel, and Fox all would create around 3mil, Jaimes around 1.25mil...

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

I'd would still trade Pipkins for a 2025 7th Rd pick and use that money on Simmons. I see Trey as JAG and Simmons as a Dog. Competitors welcome.
                          the team is already slated to have five picks in round 6 and one in and potentially two more in round 7, if they do trade pipkins it could be for more if the team is desperate for a RT with starting experience, plus with all those late round picks I can see the Chargers packaging Pipkins and say that 7th we got from the browns for maybe a 4rth or 5th rounder...but that would require one of the UDFAs really stepping up or perhaps Sarrell making a big jump this year...while his salary put him on my short list of guys to get traded, there is a good chance that the team just keeps him as experienced depth in 2024...

Comment

Working...
                          X