• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

Yeah coaches evolve. I still think Harbaugh will make sure everything is flowing right. Not worried.
    The neanderthals and cromagnons mated and somewhat down stream homo sapiens gave us Roman and Harbaugh.

More specifically, time has passed and Harbaugh, Hortiz and Roman have more experience and observations to draw from. Add an extensive experienced staff of assistant coaches, trainers and analytics people, a top young QB, LT, vet monsters at Edge and the biggest problem is getting all the parts in place, well oiled and working at max efficiency.
    Harbaugh says TEAM a lot and that's no joke. He's taken on a massive project. If he got his people right, we're in business. This will be impressive one way or another. There will be a show.

Comment

• Fleet 1
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Kauai
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

The neanderthals and cromagnons mated and somewhat down stream homo sapiens gave us Roman and Harbaugh.

More specifically, time has passed and Harbaugh, Hortiz and Roman have more experience and observations to draw from. Add an extensive experienced staff of assistant coaches, trainers and analytics people, a top young QB, LT, vet monsters at Edge and the biggest problem is getting all the parts in place, well oiled and working at max efficiency.
      Harbaugh says TEAM a lot and that's no joke. He's taken on a massive project. If he got his people right, we're in business. This will be impressive one way or another. There will be a show.
      Im not sure Harbaugh ever had a top 10 recruiting class while at Michigan. Yet coached the guys up and was always producing solid players. I also think about stuff like this...

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Im not sure Harbaugh ever had a top 10 recruiting class while at Michigan. Yet coached the guys up and was always producing solid players. I also think about stuff like this...

I've had the same thought.

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Kind of funny but we already have two picks in the bottom of the the seventh round. I think it would be a very specialized need. Folks...we have 9 picks this year!

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Fleet 1
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Kauai
            • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Kind of funny but we already have two picks in the bottom of the the seventh round. I think it would be a very specialized need. Folks...we have 9 picks this year!

We will end up with more. Picks.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

I give it a 70/30 chance. 70% chance we move down and 30% chance we stick and pick at #5. I also see the possibility that Hortiz is saving some cap powder for after the draft as well so we could stick and pick if need be. It really depends on QB availability at pick #5. Gotta be prepared to go either way.
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Rugger05
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

We will have at least 11 picks in this draft. Like Fleet said earlier Harbaugh will be able to crush these next three drafts with all his connections. I am finally getting over losing KA but like Billy B used to say he would rather get rid of a player a year earlier then a year later. I am excited to finally have a coaching staff that will be able to coach players up to their ability. The Chargers have not had that since Marty.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kauai
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post

We will have at least 11 picks in this draft. Like Fleet said earlier Harbaugh will be able to crush these next three drafts with all his connections. I am finally getting over losing KA but like Billy B used to say he would rather get rid of a player a year earlier then a year later. I am excited to finally have a coaching staff that will be able to coach players up to their ability. The Chargers have not had that since Marty.
                  My attachment to the aging vet WRs with massive price tags on this team was likely an emotional one. But the business side of me...the investment side of me is totally ready to get younger....more cost efficient and build for long term returns. Nothing wrong with getting much younger at positions that are ultra premiums. WR. CB. Edge. OT. routinely turn out 20M plus players. Is Slater safe? lol Whats he worth? Going for it in 2024 was never going to be a reality. And i just so happen to believe the tough times...backed with stellar coaching...can equal really smart students/players. Perseverence and walking through the challenges with poor coaching kills a team long term. But this staff? The opposite will happen. I think Harbaugh will do his best coaching during the difficult times. And 2024 will be a challenge for sure. But im ok with 2024 being the demo offseason...the season being the setting of the new structure...2025 the keys to the New House so to speak. We are in a remodel. House gets built between now and the start of 2025. Im looking for that window to start next year. Not counting out this year at all..but the reality of it is looking like 2025 for me.

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

I've read a few pieces, written by the so-called experts, who have been skewering the Chargers off-season so far. Part of the criticism has been aimed at the Greg Roman hire, saying that he's not a good fit for Herbert. Of course, trading KA and cutting MW have been wildly criticized, as well.

But I'm on board with the "Out with the old, in with the new" philosophy that seems to be driving the team's off-season so far. Tough decisions HAD to be made to get out from under the TT/Staley mess. You don't change a culture by plugging in a new coaching staff to the same personnel. And I feel confident - well, guardedly optimistic - that we're finally getting to the point where COACHING is going to be a plus in our favor, instead of the other way around (where we seemed to be out-coached in just about every game).

I also agree with Fleet, and others, who are pointing beyond next season, even though the idea that the 2024 season being a 'staging' season is not popular in these parts. But the organization, at the end of '23, was a total cluster you-know-what, and Rome wasn't (re)built in a day.

Comment

• Boltx
                      Dominate the day
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Hard to read too much into one incomplete offseason, but I do think we may need to come to grips with the notion that Harbaugh is not here to unlock some new dimension to Herbert's game, but rather flesh out a more complete team and minimize Herbert's chances at mistakes.

Not saying this approach can't win, but I fully expect some fans to be upset at Herbert's pedestrian numbers moving forward.

I suspect we'll struggle in the regular season against high flying offenses, but we should be a handful in the cold, January months. Bully ball.

ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                        Hard to read too much into one incomplete offseason, but I do think we may need to come to grips with the notion that Harbaugh is not here to unlock some new dimension to Herbert's game, but rather flesh out a more complete team and minimize Herbert's chances at mistakes.

Not saying this approach can't win, but I fully expect some fans to be upset at Herbert's pedestrian numbers moving forward.

I suspect we'll struggle in the regular season against high flying offenses, but we should be a handful in the cold, January months. Bully ball.

The concept that Harbaugh will watch "high flying" teams run up the score every possession and will handcuff Herbert strains my imagination.
                        Pretty ridiculous for a HC that intends to win.

You aren't the only one with that opinion but personally, I don't get it.
                        I see us sticking to the plan. 50/50 approximately R / P depending on the opponent. Win every game or go down swinging.
                        Herbert is a special talent at QB and will be given every opportunity to succeed.
                        Under Staley our lousy run game was a handicap. Now getting one is a handicap? Still not understanding the train of thought.

Comment

• Boltx
                          Dominate the day
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

The concept that Harbaugh will watch "high flying" teams run up the score every possession and will handcuff Herbert strains my imagination.
                          Pretty ridiculous for a HC that intends to win.

You aren't the only one with that opinion but personally, I don't get it.
                          I see us sticking to the plan. 50/50 approximately R / P depending on the opponent. Win every game or go down swinging.
                          Herbert is a special talent at QB and will be given every opportunity to succeed.
                          Under Staley our lousy run game was a handicap. Now getting one is a handicap? Still not understanding the train of thought.
                          I mean, Harbaugh's offensive stats as HC of the 49ers are available for all to look up.

Never said the run game now is a handicap, rather that it will take some attention from the pass game.

I don't see us necessarily going toe to toe with the likes of the Bills, Bengals, Chiefs etc in the regular season as I don't think we'll be built to play that kind of game if conditions are ideal - but come playoff time, we will be a different animal. I think that's what they are building towards.
                          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

Working...
                          X