How Do We Fix the Deficiency at Receiver?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SuperChargedRodney37
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2024
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    Nabers struggled as an X receiver at LSU, could not beat press. He didn't succeed until he was moved to the slot. Look into it.
    I actually did. I have watched him live around 6 games over the last two years. He had some technique issues more early on. However, one of the main reasons for his move to more slot was to get Brian Thomas on the field with him and Brian Thomas could not play inside and Nabors absolutely could.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

We will use 13 personnel (3TEs) as well as 12 personnel (2 TEs) often.

I propose drafting Cade Stover to give us 3 true TEs.

Parham and Smartt move to Big Slot to go with DD Small Slot.
      Last edited by wu-dai clan; 04-05-2024, 08:26 PM.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperChargedRodney37 View Post

We are really splitting hairs here but its actually the opposite. Harrison Jr. is pretty much strictly an X who lines up on the outside. He only lined up in the slot 71 snaps out of 366.
        Nabors can actually play equally in the Slot or Outside. 450 snaps. 241 in Slot and 207 outside. Nabors actually is just fine against press.
        Again, we are splitting hairs here as you are getting a bona-fide Elite Blue-Chip prospect either way at #5 guaranteed.

That's why the whole trade back scenario people are discussing is a big waste of time. Trade scenario discussion should start at #37 because it is unlikely the Chargers stick and pick right there.
        This video by Alex Rollins will help you understand the difference between Marvin Harrison Jr. and Malik Nabers. Harrison does everything well at every level. He's an X who is a master at beating press coverage. Nabers' athleticism is off the charts, but he's less polished than MHJ and he can't beat press coverage on the outside. LSU tried him at X, but he struggled, so they moved him to the slot, where he exploded. I'd be thrilled to land either of them, but MHJ is more NFL ready, and if he's there at #5, that is who I think Harbaugh/Hortiz will draft.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Really like Odunze as well and have him closely behind Harrison and Nabors but the team will not consider trading back from Harrison Jr. unless a team is giving up this package. 2024 1st, 2025 1st, 2026 1st and an additional 2024 mid round pick like a 4th.
          The value at 5 for either Harrison or Nabors is tremendously high to the Chargers Brass. They have collectively and consistently said this over and over again. This is an extremely lucky draft for the Chargers in terms of the timing and value of the player that will be there at #5. If this was the 2025 draft. Harrison and Nabors would have to be an expensive trade up to get.
          That's your opinion. Besides, this is all predicated on AZ taking MHJ at 4.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Nabers struggled as an X receiver at LSU, could not beat press. He didn't succeed until he was moved to the slot. Look into it.
            I wouldn't say he struggled but he excelled as a slot. AJ Brown was pretty much a slot in college as well. But again, for me if it's between Nabers and Odunze......id pick Odunze.
            I'm sure there are numbers from somewhere...maybe PFF of his snaps at slot and X and stats from both. I don't subscribe to PFF so I don't have them.

Comment

• SuperChargedRodney37
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2024
              • Send PM

This video by Alex Rollins will help you understand the difference between Marvin Harrison Jr. and Malik Nabers. Harrison does everything well at every level. He's an X who is a master at beating press coverage. Nabers' athleticism is off the charts, but he's less polished than MHJ and he can't beat press coverage on the outside. LSU tried him at X, but he struggled, so they moved him to the slot, where he exploded. I'd be thrilled to land either of them, but MHJ is more NFL ready, and if he's there at #5, that is who I think Harbaugh/Hortiz will draft.

Velo,

I'm not trying to argue with you, my friend. I could post the scouts I know very closely's report on these two as well but as I said, you're splitting hairs about what is extremely likely the Top two players on their draft board.
              Either way it falls to them, they are guaranteed a bona-fide Blue Chip Elite WR1 Prospect that in any other year they would have to give up a haul to trade up and get.
              Enjoy the ride my friend because it's their job once they make the pick to put either one in the best position to succeed with Justin. And succeed they will.

For the record, if I had to play a hunch. I would say it's Harrison (1A), Nabors (1B) but it closer than you may think.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Velo,

I'm not trying to argue with you, my friend. I could post the scouts I know very closely's report on these two as well but as I said, you're splitting hairs about what is extremely likely the Top two players on their draft board.
                Either way it falls to them, they are guaranteed a bona-fide Blue Chip Elite WR1 Prospect that in any other year they would have to give up a haul to trade up and get.
                Enjoy the ride my friend because it's their job once they make the pick to put either one in the best position to succeed with Justin. And succeed they will.

For the record, if I had to play a hunch. I would say it's Harrison (1A), Nabors (1B) but it closer than you may think.
                I think we are in agreement. I rank them the same as you. Harrison 1A and Nabers 1B+. I guess my thing is if I had to make a choice I would take Harrison. But I trust Harbaugh/Hortiz to make the right decision. If they do end up having to make a choice between these two and they choose Nabers, I'll be satisfied they believe Nabers is the better fit. Sorry for being argumentative. Like I've said, Nabers' college tape reminds me of John Jefferson. His speed and athleticism are off the charts.

Comment

• SuperChargedRodney37
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2024
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

That's your opinion. Besides, this is all predicated on AZ taking MHJ at 4.
                  No Bolt,
                  For the trade down (mostly for Bowers) folks. The trade down scenario is predicated on the Chargers not valuing Nabors @ #5 that high.
                  My opinion is very clear. I believe that Harrison Jr. and Nabors are their Top 2 players on their board. (You could argue Odunze is 3rd and I won't argue)
                  I don't think it particularly matters whether Harrison Jr or Nabors is on the board at #5. For them, whether Harrison Jr is picked by Arizona or not, I believe what it will take for them to move off that player will be something along these lines.
                  2024 1st, 2025 1st, 2026 1st and 2024 mid rounder such as a 4th.

This is the type of haul Coach was referring to when he said the #5th pick would be like the 1st pick.

I could also breakdown the negotiations with Keenan as proof but that's for another day.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

That's why the whole trade back scenario people are discussing is a big waste of time. Trade scenario discussion should start at #37 because it is unlikely the Chargers stick and pick right there.
                    It IS a waste of time. We could get more draft picks for trading down, but we'll miss out on a couple of outstanding WRs.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

No Bolt,
                      For the trade down (mostly for Bowers) folks. The trade down scenario is predicated on the Chargers not valuing Nabors @ #5 that high.
                      My opinion is very clear. I believe that Harrison Jr. and Nabors are their Top 2 players on their board. (You could argue Odunze is 3rd and I won't argue)
                      I don't think it particularly matters whether Harrison Jr or Nabors is on the board at #5. For them, whether Harrison Jr is picked by Arizona or not, I believe what it will take for them to move off that player will be something along these lines.
                      2024 1st, 2025 1st, 2026 1st and 2024 mid rounder such as a 4th.

This is the type of haul Coach was referring to when he said the #5th pick would be like the 1st pick.

I could also breakdown the negotiations with Keenan as proof but that's for another day.
                      This almost sounds like you have some inside knowledge here. Where did you hear this stuff about the trade?

Anyway, I'm on record saying I think Nabors will be the pick but I've entertained a lot of possibilities & there are good arguments for all of them - Bowers, Murphy, Tackle, Edge. I don't think they're gonna get a good offer to trade down in round #1 so what probably makes the most sense to me now is Nabors/MHJ in round 1 and Chris Jenkins in round 2.

I have Nabors over MHJ due to the fact if they draft Harrison they're gonna have two 6'4 ~210ish pound receivers taken in the first round the last 2 years and watching MHJ against Notre Dame he looked a lot like QJ struggling to get off press - that long body type does have some inherent weaknesses. Then you factor in Nabors superior explosiveness and the fact he's in a different zip code forcing missed tackles and is more versatile. Then also consider Josh Palmer is a pretty damn good receiver who plays a LOT like MHJ with his route running. I think Nabors is the guy they'll prefer.

Comment

• jox g
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

There is NO deficiency at WR.

Comment

• AK47
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post
                          There is NO deficiency at WR.
                          Vitamin W deficiency. Symptoms include dropped balls.

Comment

Working...
                          X