How Do We Fix the Deficiency at Receiver?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post
    There is NO deficiency at WR.
    New Orleans deficiency ?

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post
      There is NO deficiency at WR.
      Not even a little one?

Comment

• AK47
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

New Orleans deficiency ?
        There is DEN deficiency at QB center snap,
        There is LAR deficiency at RB attack,
        There is LAC deficiency at RT flak,
        There is KC deficiency at scrotum sack.

Comment

• jox g
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Not even a little one?
          No because we must see what can be, not what is...

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Teach Q how to run crisp routes and how to catch a football. Draft a WR that already knows these things.

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Question for the board.... where do you slot our current receivers compared to this draft class ??

Joshua Palmer * right after McConkey and before Xavier Worthy.... early second rounder would be my slotting for him this go 'round ??

Quentin Johnston * have Palmer rated more highly than QJ, but think the slotting is ditto for QJ.... same slotting as for Palmer.

Derius Davis * got him right ahead of Malik Washington, and prolly an early day three/round four slotting

moral to the story.... think we're ok @wideout, unless you are convinced we won't do doo doo without one of the top three wideouts.

for myself, going receiver is a little too Matt Millenesque, and not to mention the query, as to what best serves your SB quest ??

if it's me, and am intent on drafting one of the receivers from this class, would just draft the guy that I like, as not convinced we need to get a certain type, or a WR1.... ??

think we've got enough here.... just need to add depth.... one here, from the draft, and one later on in FA, and.... if I had to choose a type, would be one slot and one possession receiver that gets open !!

for myself, that's a McCaffrey from the draft, and a Tyler Boyd from FA....
              5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Send PM

IF he was coming out this year with what he's already put on tape I'd have Palmer rated in the 1st round after the top 3 guys. Early 2nd at the latest. He's a darn good receiver - excellent route runner, really good hands, good size & he takes his craft uber serious. In '22 when Keenan & Mike both went down he was playing some really good football. He's just not a burner. But I think he's quite a bit better than Tyler Boyd and right up there with Tee Higgins - maybe better. He just hasn't had as many opportunities. There's only been a handful of game where he was a starter and he's generally always produced in those games.

QJ: With what he put on tape last year I'd have him a 4th round project type player. He has some solid physical attributes but obviously struggles with hands and confidence. It's 50/50 if he's out of the NFL in 3 years.

Derius Davis: Solid 3rd round return weapon. I think he can do more & he might, but he's a definite weapon in the return game. Back in the preseason I thought he'd cost us a game by fumbling the ball away. I think he did fumble once but no real problems there and he provided several big time plays. He's only going to get better.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Everybody hated Josh Palmer when he got drafted. Then he out-produced most of the 2nd round WR's drafted in front of him (especially when he got his opportunity in 2022). I'm gonna say, late-2nd round talent.

I had QJ in the 2nd round last year... with the opportunity to develop. I knew he was raw. He has the opportunity to develop into a late 1st-round talent. Will he get used correctly this year...?

DD has jet sweep ability (with better blocking)... he has bubble screen ability (with better blocking)... he can get deep (especially in quick-motion sets). He's a situational receiver with 3rd/4th round possibilities... but needs to be used correctly.

Palmer is ready right now. QJ and DD need another 1/2 season to develop. They'll be effective in Roman's offense... but not if they're sitting on the bench.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                    Everybody hated Josh Palmer when he got drafted. Then he out-produced most of the 2nd round WR's drafted in front of him (especially when he got his opportunity in 2022). I'm gonna say, late-2nd round talent.

I had QJ in the 2nd round last year... with the opportunity to develop. I knew he was raw. He has the opportunity to develop into a late 1st-round talent. Will he get used correctly this year...?

DD has jet sweep ability (with better blocking)... he has bubble screen ability (with better blocking)... he can get deep (especially in quick-motion sets). He's a situational receiver with 3rd/4th round possibilities... but needs to be used correctly.

Palmer is ready right now. QJ and DD need another 1/2 season to develop. They'll be effective in Roman's offense... but not if they're sitting on the bench.
                    Everybody hated Palmer when he was drafted? I don't remember that.

The 2021 WR draft class has turned out to be kind of sucky, Palmer being one of the exceptions. While JaMarr Chase is widely regarded as the best WR of that class, a guy named Amon-Ra could make the case he's the best, and if he's not, he's definitely the 2nd best WR of that class - the 17th WR drafted, 35 picks after Palmer at #112. Texans WR Nico Collins was drafted at #89, 12 picks after Palmer, and had a breakout season last year with CJ Stroud - 80 catches for 1,300 yds and 8 TDs.

If it seems like I'm bashing Palmer, I'm not. I really like him. But I don't remember him being unpopular pick among Chargers fans. I think most of us were pretty optimistic. I believe he has the potential to have a breakout season this year. He is a very hard worker and committed to perfecting his craft. In his first and second seasons there were stories about him constantly peppering Keenan Allen for advice and tips, to the point he was worried he was annoying KA. But KA's response was that Palmer impressed him with his desire to learn. Palmer was fortunate to be drafted by a team with KA on the roster, and he took full advantage. I see Palmer becoming the Chargers' version of Brandon Aiyuk. They are similar type of players, not fast, but physical, good route runners, good hands, Palmer being a bit larger. He may never be a standout star, but he doesn't have to be. If he can replace MW's production, which I think he can, as the #2 to Marvin Harrison Jr., he will be great.

The last time the Chargers won a playoff game was in 2018, they were 12-4 and Rivers had a formidable trio of WRs in Keenan, Tyrell Williams and Mike Williams. If they draft MHJ, Herbert can have that with Palmer and QJ as #2-3, assuming QJ grows this year and fulfills some of his potential.

Comment

• boltfanseattle
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

You draft at least one WR in rounds 2-4

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by boltfanseattle View Post
                        You draft at least one WR in rounds 2-4
                        How drafting one at pick number 5 of round 1? For one of the elite guys. Spare me the we should trade down for more picks stuff blah blah blah.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2021
                          • Send PM

Use the first pick on a WR or trade down and get a WR with one of the first round picks. OL with the other.

Most teams have 2 WR1’s. Chargers have 3 WR3’s.

Give Justin a frickin chance. My hope is they upgrade the WR’s by adding 2 that are better than what’s on current roster via draft and/or free agency.

Comment

Working...
                          X